Forum Thread: skype

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Skype Technologies
And, this specific program:
Skype for Windows 4.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
benoitS skype
Member 13th Mar, 2010 18:59
Ranking: 0
User Since: 27th Feb, 2010
System Score: N/A
Hello,
i live in Belgium, i run PSI and it say me that there is an update for skype,
i run the update but the screen from the update are in english - no poblem ;-( when the udpate is finish my skype is in english (no problem ;-( i change the language in tools) BUT the version is 4.2.32.155 and i see that the new version from 10 march on the skype site is 4.2.00.155
is there a different version in europe and in america ?
thanks

Post "RE: skype" has been selected as an answer.
mogsi RE: skype
Member 13th Mar, 2010 22:08
Score: 65
User Since: 11th Feb 2010
If it's of any use.....I live in Britain. Skype was recently reported as insecure by Secunia. Having tried the relevant solution...the result was that Skype was supposedly up to date....but still not "155". In the end I uninstalled/removed the program via Revouninstaller, and downloaded the new version via the Computeractive site, successfully. I'd been previously advised that my security settings prevented me from updating. I think I'm finding my own way around !!
Regards

--
Toshiba L300D AMD Athlon X2 Vista Home Premium 32bit OS SP2
Chrome 5.0.342.3 dev / IE8 1GB RAM+4GB Readyboost
Was this reply relevant?
+1
benoitS RE: skype
Member 14th Mar, 2010 09:04
Score: 0
User Since: 27th Feb 2010
Last edited on 14th Mar, 2010 09:23
Hello

i can also find my way alone

but i find that strange that secunia find a version that is not the official version of skype !

wat is that "special" version from secunia ?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: skype
Member 15th Mar, 2010 09:17
Last edited on 15th Mar, 2010 09:20 Hi,

You need version 4.2.0.155 to be secure according to Secunia rules. This is in accordance with the Secunia advisory 38908, accessible from here:

http://secunia.com/advisories/38908/ (The info in the advisory says "4.2.0.1.55, but it the file it's represented as 4 numbers, so that's what the rule matches).

Our download link points to the offered download form Skype. We strive to provide localized downloads, but this is not always possible.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
benoitS RE: skype
Member 15th Mar, 2010 18:04
Score: 0
User Since: 27th Feb 2010
Hello

thanks but i understand not how secunia can find another version number if secunia take he "normal" ftp site from skype

informatic is not always normal ;-)
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.