Forum Thread: Inconsistent status: SA38608

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
lamaslany Inconsistent status: SA38608
Member 21st Mar, 2010 20:16
Ranking: 22
User Since: 8th May, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 21st Mar, 2010 20:34

Secunia PSI is reporting in the Secure Browsing tab that Firefox is insecure (Ref: Secunia Advisory SA38608) but it is not listed as insecure in the 'Insecure' tab.

Is Mozilla Firefox 3.6.0 insecure? (as of 21/03/2010)

EDIT: Apologies; I see this has already been raised: http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/359...

I would question the wisdom of the categorisation though. If a program has a vulnerability but no patch is available then it is by definition insecure. Now if the 'Insecure' tab was named 'Unpatched' then I would understand why it would be excluded from the list due to the lack of a patch/upgrade.

As it is I have been assuming that there was no known issues with the applications I have installed. Clearly this was not the case. :(

This user no longer exists RE: Inconsistent status: SA38608
Member 22nd Mar, 2010 09:14
Hi,

The categorization is provided for several reasons. We normally don't show vulnerabilities the user can't do anything about, but browsers are a special case, as you are exposed to the internet (and thus risk) constantly when using a browser. The Secure Browsing tab is needed, then, to help you access which browsers are safe using.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.