Forum Thread: Solution not being applied

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
DivX
And, this specific program:
DivX Web Player 1.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
Normc1545 Solution not being applied
Member 22nd Mar, 2010 01:04
Ranking: 0
User Since: 13th Mar, 2010
System Score: N/A
I have run Secunia several times in simple mode and eliminated all threats except this one which continues to exist although having applied solutions several times with no results. Just doesn't seem to have any effect and it remains as Cat4 threat which I presume is still fairly serious.

I even uninstalled the program but it seems to reinstall itself appearing to be a MS product extensiopn or add on or something. I am running Windows XP SP3, religously keep everything updated, and wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how you got around it. Appreciate any and all help.

regards, Norman

Post "RE: Solution not being applied" has been selected as an answer.
MaritimeRider RE: Solution not being applied
Member 22nd Mar, 2010 01:56
Score: 22
User Since: 15th Mar 2009
Hello Norman:
First of all, I suggest you switch to advance mode. Not difficult to use. You mention solution but did not state name of program having insecurity. For instance Adobe cannot be removed from add/remove site. Adobe download manager does this at their site. Also, next step is to always reboot your system to ensure that the old program material is completely removed before patching is done. Your security should then show a secure computer.See if this resolves your issue.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Normc1545 RE: Solution not being applied
Member 22nd Mar, 2010 08:31
Score: 0
User Since: 13th Mar 2010
Thanks for your response. The program is DivX WebPlayer 1.x which I thought would show in the thread given I'd provided that info. I did remove the programs after the "solutions" didn't seem to work. But the next time I rebooted, there they were again. Even stranger, it comes as 2 identical programs, both of which are insecure and require the same solutions. Very weird!!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Solution not being applied
Member 22nd Mar, 2010 08:47
Hi,

The PSI is likely detecting multiple instances of DivX. If you switch the PSI into advanced mode, you can, from the "insecure" tab where the threats should be, click "+" to expand the program entry.
From here, you can see the "program path" which shows where the detected file is located. If you post those paths here, a solution is easier to provide.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Mar, 2010 22:04
Just another point> I searched for Div x web player and located a blog by Nick Meade. (Softonic site) with download from C Net. It mentions 1.42. beta 2. I don't use this player but this site is worth reading. If this is what you are trying to download,There may be a more current one. With Emil's direction you cannot go wrong. Good luck . Sorry I cannot assist you more.
REB.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Mar, 2010 22:13
You do not have to go any further to search. Maurice addressed this same issue in Jan. I forgot to use a basic rule > check the site first. The answer may be there. Now, I am of to the golf course. Nite all.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Mar, 2010 22:16
Thanks for your help Emile. The following are the paths to the 2 instances of DivX,
C:\Program Files\DivX\DivX Web Player\npdivx32.dll
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npdivx32.dll

When I followed the instructions in advanced mode...i.e. download solution or Solution Wizard, I got no response. i.e. nothing happened. My hard drive seemed to be doing something but nothing appeared on screen for either instance. Very puzzling. There are alos several different versions of Java showing, which it says I should uninstall. What's going on there?
kind regards, Norm
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Solution not being applied
Handling Contributor 22nd Mar, 2010 22:56
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
This should help with the Java issue. I would go direct to PART 2 of the fix. It is a one off clearout of all things Java.

JAVA PROBLEMS
=============

PART 1

STANDARD UPDATING OF JAVA.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Can be used with Windows XP,Vista & Windows 7

JAVA now use an Uninstaller as part of the install process. This makes updating very easy using this method.

1. Go to Start>Control Panel>click on the JAVA icon>select the Update tab>click the Update Now button.

2. Once the update is complete go to Control Panel>JAVA icon>Update Tab and take the tick out of box marked "Check for updates auto ....." (This will prevent a an unnecessary file from starting each time U switch on your PC - PSI is already doing this job for U)

3. If U prefer not to have the JAVA icon in the System Tray when in use, open the Advanced Tab>look for Miscellaneous>click the + sign & then remove the tick from clearly marked box.

4. U may also wish to speed up your browser by clearing out the JAVA cache & permanently lower the quota allocation. If U are unsure how to do this post back for more information.

4. To test your JAVA is working correctly use this test link: http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

5. As normal, reboot & all should be in order.

By using this recommended method the previous version will be automatically uninstalled & U are guaranteed to get the correct version for your OS.

* 64 Bit Systems
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If U also have 64 bit JAVA installed it will require a separate update from here:
http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

It can be installed using the 32 bit browser from the link provided.

Secunia monitors both JAVA installs.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PART 2

CLEARING OUT OLD JAVA DROSS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If U have completed Part 1 & still have a problem it is because the new JAVA uninstaller only removes the previous version. U could still have very old JAVA dross on your system. Try this:

1.Install or double check U have the latest JAVA version (Currently Version 6 Update 18)from here:
http://www.java.com/en/

2.This tool will remove all the old dross except for the version U have just installed. Click here:

http://raproducts.org/

*This link takes U to the site - select the Windows Binary (zip) option.
*This will lead U to Sourceforge.net to download it.
*Save the download to desktop.
*Activate the desktop zip icon which exposes the JAVARA EXE file. Click it
*Select RUN when asked.
*Select your language.
*The tool will now appear on the desktop - select REMOVE OLDER VERSIONS
*Once complete select ADDITIONAL TASKS - tick all boxes & activate.
*Right click on the desktop JAVARA zip file & delete it.

3.To test your JAVA is working correctly use this test link: http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

Revision 3

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 22nd Mar, 2010 23:23
Thanks so much Maurice. Have fixed all the Java issues now and checked it is working correctly. Have also fixed the DivX by identifying the files and deleting them. At least they don't show in PSI any longer. If that creates other problems I'll deal with them as needed. The only remaining issue I have is MS PPT viewer. Nothing seems to update or fix that and I'm reluctant to either delete it or choose to ignore it after the warning PSI gave me. Any uggestions on that?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Solution not being applied
Handling Contributor 22nd Mar, 2010 23:27
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Try this - the second solution may be your best bet.

POWER POINT VIEWER EMBEDDED IN MICROSOFT OFFICE 2007
================================================== =

The only reason the Office suite has the PPTVIEW file embedded is to facilitate the option to use it when the PUBLISH & PACKAGE TO CD command is evoked.

Office Suite users have 2 options:
1. Rename the insecure file - details are at 1. below. This will remove the insecurity.

2. If U are a regular user of the PUBLISH & PACKAGE TO CD command carry out a self help work around.

WORK AROUND.
I apologise for the length of the work around. Hopefully it will result in the most novice user being able to update their expensive Office Suite to full unlimited functionality.

Here we go!

1.Click START>select RUN>copy & paste this into the box (if using Vista or Windows 7 type it in the search box) - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12 - now click OK.
2. From the window that opens scroll down & look for a file called PPTVIEW.EXE - Right click on it & RENAME it PPTVIEW.EXE_OLD
3. Close all open windows.

The insecurity reported by PSI has been removed.
================================================

INSTALLING THE UPDATED FILE.(ONLY REQUIRED IF U USE THE PUBLISH & PACKAGE TO CD COMMAND)

1.Download this file and SAVE to DESKTOP - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?fa...
2.For best results you need to download & install this programme: http://www.filehippo.com/download_7-zip/
3. Once 7Zip is installed right click on the Microsoft downloaded file on the desktop>scroll down to 7Zip and select OPEN ARCHIVE
4. A window will open - Look for this file (0) 1013280 right click on it>scroll down to 7Zip and select OPEN INSIDE - now look for a file pptview.msp - scroll down to 7Zip and select OPEN INSIDE - now look for a file PATCH_CAB near the bottom of the page.
6. Right click on PATCH_CAB>scroll down to 7Zip and select OPEN - a separate window will open showing the file PPTVIEW_0001 - this is the file U want to patch your Office set up.
7. Right click on file PPTVIEW_0001 - select COPY TO - a box will appear - copy & paste this into the "Copy To" box - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ then click OK (Nothing appears to happen but keep the faith)
8. Close all open windows.

COMPLETING THE UPDATE.

1.Click START>select RUN>copy & paste this into the box (if using Vista or Windows 7 type it in the search box) - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
2.Scroll & look for 2 files:
PPTVIEW.EXE_0001
PPTVIEW.EXE_OLD
3.Right Click on the PPTVIEW.EXE_0001 file>select RENAME & rename it PPTVIEW.EXE (The icon will change to reflect it is a Microsoft active file)
4.Right Click on PPTVIEW.EXE_OLD and select DELETE.

Your Microsoft Office 2007 is now secure & fully functional.

U can now remove the Microsoft downloaded file from the desktop & uninstall 7Zip via Add/Remove if no longer required.

Revised by MJJ March 2010

This solution was produced by @Spectralkinesis - it achieves the same result as my post above.

I came up with a simple fix for this problem - just install the application.

THE PROBLEM: Secunia was reporting PPTVIEW.EXE as insecure. It was mind boggling, as I had never installed Powerpoint Viewer 2007 - only the full version of Office 2007 Professional.

The problem here is that Powerpoint Viewer 2007 is not actually installed on the local machine. Therefore Microsoft Update can't detect any available patches for PPTVIEW.EXE since it isn't installed, with all of the necessary registry entries and extra files to be patched up.

The reason the Office suite has the PPTVIEW.EXE included in the %Program Files%\Microsoft Office\Office12\ directory is so PPTVIEW.EXE can be embedded when the PUBLISH & PACKAGE TO CD command is invoked.

THE FIX:

1.) Download Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?Fa...

2.) Install Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007.

3.) Run Windows Update - the first time I ran it there were 4 Security updates to be installed.

3.) Run Windows Update again - there were an additional 4 Security updates to be installed.

4.) Rerun Secunia - the application may now be detected as the latest version.

The first time I did this, Secunia did not detect PPTVIEW.EXE as the latest version, even when I manually verified the pptview.exe version myself. The version number shows 12.0.6502.5000, but Secunia wasn't that quick on the uptake.

What I did to fix this:

1.) Rename PPTVIEW.EXE to PPTVIEW.EXE.BAK.

2.) Secunia detected the filename change and reported the application as uninstalled.

3.) Rename PPTVIEW.EXE.BAK to PPTVIEW.EXE

4.) Secunia then detected the presence of PPTVIEW.EXE and picked up the new, latest and greatest, not insecure version number.

Cliffs:
Download & Install Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007
Run Windows Update until there are no more updates to install.
Maybe you'll have to rename the offending .exe twice.

If this post has solved your problem could you please select the ACCEPT option. This will lock the thread and stop you & I from receiving unnecessary update emails.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+4

This thread has been marked as locked.