Forum Thread: Secunia doesn't respond

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
Nikilet Secunia doesn't respond
Member 15th Apr, 2010 05:35
Ranking: 7
User Since: 15th Jul, 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 15th Apr, 2010 05:44

I posted this originally in the wrong forum so now I want to post it to "My Threads."

I've been having trouble with psi for a while in that it hangs up and Task Manager tells me it's not responding and then I have to End Task. However, it was getting worse so I decided I would uninstall it and then reinstall. After I did that it didn't work at all and I could not access Secunia web site or forum. Now I can, but every task takes a long time.

During uninstall a box popped up that said something about Windows Group Converter (grpconv.exe) will no longer auto start and I clicked OK because I just figured it was part of the uninstall process. After reinstall I opened and got the page where it tells you to wait while network connectivity is verified. After a while I got a page stating that it had timed out. I opened Task Manager and it said PSI was not responding. I tried again and just left it and got a pop up stating "Unable to retrieve PSI user ID from Secunia." It also asked me to verify that I could connect to https://psi.secunia.com/ and then restart psi. I could not connect. Then there was a NOTE that said something about proxy support, but I'm sure I don't use proxy.

I rebooted to no avail, so then I used my System Restore but that didn't work either. The restore went without a hitch, but it made no difference in psi responsiveness. I opened Firefox and used my RoboForm to try and log into psi forum. I decided to just leave it run and see if it would connect. After a long time it did. But everything I try to do takes forever. Everything else on my computer that I've used seems to be working fine.

I ran Malwarebytes, doing a full scan, and nothing was found. I ran Spyware Doctor, just a Quick Scan, and nothing was found. I ran Registry Mechanic and it repaired 13 items but I looked through those and nothing seemed to have anything to do with psi. I ran Disk Cleanup. I ran Zappit in advanced mode and then I restarted again. This time, by just leaving it, psi finally did open but it took quite awhile. I ran a Google search with IE8 named Secunia psi won't respond, and I did find a couple of things from other forums but nothing I could use.

PLEASE HELP!

P.S. The responsiveness on this forum now seems to be improving. However, I opened psi (it took probably a minute for it to open) and then selected to Rescan an item. It opened and started to rescan and then froze and again was not responding so I opened Task Manager and ended it.

Post "RE: Secunia doesn't respond" has been selected as an answer.
This user no longer exists RE: Secunia doesn't respond
Member 15th Apr, 2010 08:56
Hi,
"My Threads" is not a subforum, but an overview of thread's you're involved with. If you have general problems with responsiveness, it's likely going to be on your end.

Have you tried the connection procedure outlined in the FAQ?
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Has this solved the problem?

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Nikilet RE: Secunia doesn't respond
Member 15th Apr, 2010 09:22
Score: 7
User Since: 15th Jul 2008
The only thing that wasn't already done in that help link you gave me was to add the http:// address to the trusted sites. I had added only the https:// earlier. But when I couldn't connect at all that was the case through both IE8 and Firefox.

For about the past 45 minutes the psi on my desktop has been responding again. When I finally got it to open once more I unchecked the "run at startup" in the settings, which didn't seem to help. Then I rebooted again and awhile after that tried opening and it was slow but did open. The next time I tried it opened reasonably fast and then I kept trying at intervals and it's been working good (and I've got my fingers crossed) so I guess I'll have to wait and see.

It's got me puzzled tho. As I said, it's been hanging for a while, and then suddenly got really bad ... but after I uninstalled and reinstalled it wouldn't work at all. I am not unwilling to accept that the problem is on my end, however, why it would mess up psi this badly and leave everything else working just fine makes me wonder.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
poutnikl RE: Secunia doesn't respond
Member 15th Apr, 2010 13:18
Score: 0
User Since: 8th May 2008
my PSI was well behaving for long months.

But yeaterday was long time running at full 1 core CPU speed. Several times there appeared warning a script stopped responding, and I should stop it, otherwise IE can become irresponsive.

Not sure if related to recent Ms update, adressing VBSCripting...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
UziUzi RE: Secunia doesn't respond
Member 15th Apr, 2010 15:00
Score: 18
User Since: 15th Apr 2010
Yesterday evening (USA Central time) my PSI stopped responding after
I was alerted of a database update via PSI personal. So I had it do a full scan.
Afterward it popped up the familiar 'checking network connectivity' (words to that effect) and just hung there.
It NEVER connected to Secunia.
It behaved as hung. I had to force it closed (Windows 7 64 bit).
I ran it again several times. Same behavior, it would hang when launched.

I then tried to connect to the Secunia website and the forums.
EXTREMELY slow connection , it would take minutes for the forum to come up.

I performed a tracert (tracer route) to secunia.com which I should have done 30 minutes
earlier.

Bad hop somewhere deep .

This morning the site is working and so is PSI.

SO, I would investigate possible network connectivity issues to secunia's site.
12 146 ms 140 ms 139 ms te7-3.ccr01.lon01.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.0.45]
13 137 ms 137 ms 137 ms te0-3-0-7.ccr21.ams03.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.51.21]
14 146 ms 147 ms 147 ms te0-2-0-0.ccr21.ham01.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.50.46]
15 153 ms 153 ms 153 ms te1-1.ccr01.cph01.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.2.150]

Tracert still fails at the end of the chain but whatever the problem was last
night has been repaired as of this morning.

I would suggest Secunia investigate the possibility of altering their application
so it does not behave as a hung application when connectivity to their network is bad.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Secunia doesn't respond
Member 15th Apr, 2010 15:01
Hi,

We are aware of the problems, and are working hard to resolve their cause. Thank you for your patience.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Apr, 2010 01:08
So apparently, after reading the latest responses to this thread, the problem was NOT on my end!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Secunia doesn't respond
Handling Contributor 16th Apr, 2010 01:25
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Correct - under certain circumstances there is still a "hang" when inside PSI.

Slightly off subject which I hope U will forgive. Are U up to speed on the latest Java issue?

U may wish to look at this thread (my last post)
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/396...

and consider whether that is the best course of action for U.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Apr, 2010 10:22
Last edited on 16th Apr, 2010 10:23
Hi

The only thing showing in my Add/Remove is Java(TM) 6 Update 19.

There are no security threats listed for Java under my browsers in Secunia psi.

I read your post about removing Java altogether, but I thought there were certain things that require Java, and as long as things seem to be correct here, I think I'll just leave them as is.

Thank you for checking in with me on this hang issue also.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 16th Apr, 2010 10:43
As long as U are happy. Are U absolutely sure Java 6 Update 19 is not showing a vulnerability in the SECURE BROWSING tab?

I ask, because I completely removed Java some time ago but understand Update 19 is insecure for browsing.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Apr, 2010 21:39
Last edited on 16th Apr, 2010 21:44
The Sun Java is listed under both IE8 and Firefox, but there is no threat bar showing.

I was a little surprised actually. Earlier there was, under both browsers, but I was going to wait until I got this hang problem with PSI sorted out before I asked about it. Then after PSI was back on track I checked and there were no threat bars.

There are two entries for Java under each browser and the description is the same for all: Sun Java JRE 1.6.x / 6.x

And the paths are the same:
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe
C:\Windows\System32\java.exe

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 16th Apr, 2010 22:53
@Nikilet
As previously stated, I do not have Java installed on my PC's.

To clear up matters what I have done on my test PC is as follows:

1. Installed Java (TM) 6 Update 19.

2. Did a full scan using PSI. This resulted in PSI showing this version as insecure in both the INSECURE TAB & the BROWSING TAB.

3. I updated to Java (TM) 6 Update 20 using this link:
http://www.java.com/en/

4 Completed another full scan with PSI. It is now showing that ALL aspects of Java are secure.

The tests were carried out using Windows XP SP3 32 Bit with only IE8 installed.

Hope this helps.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 19th Apr, 2010 09:12
I did a full scan and Secunia still shows no threats. I know I posted a longer reply to this, but it doesn't appear so have no idea what happened.

However, I don't know what's going on with this Secunia PSI anymore. Now I see it's frozen again. I tried opening with the icon in taskbar and nothing. Then I tried through the shortcut icon on my desktop and same thing. I'm going to reboot and see if that helps but really getting tired of this program hanging and freezing.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 20th Apr, 2010 18:22
@Nikilet
Not sure if U are still having an issue with PSI. As U know their server threw a "wobbly" on 16 April.

It is becoming clear that by uninstalling PSI & the reinstalling numerous issues with scanning results etc. are being cleared up.

U may wish to give this a try because PSI is going like a rocket using my test XP machine & on this one.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Apr, 2010 20:42
Yes, still having issues. After writing on April 19 I rebooted and it worked again. I just checked and it's frozen again. I had already un- and reinstalled earlier in this post, but will try again. I was really coming to rely on this program so hope I can get it to work. Thanks for your input, as always.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Apr, 2010 21:01
I had just downloaded psi to reinstall and I got a pop up from Firefox stating that "Firefox has determinded that the following add-ons are known to cause stability or security problems: Java Deployment Toolkit 6.0.190.4. For your protection it is highly recommended that you restart with these add-ons disabled."

I looked in my Add-Ons and had two entries for Java. This new one which was just installed (6.0.19) and also the previous (6.0.11).

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 20th Apr, 2010 21:12
See above about Java. I maintain U have the wrong version installed. I would update as my previous post suggests to version 20.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 20th Apr, 2010 21:31
I just now un- and reinstalled psi. After the scan it showed Java as insecure in both Firefox and IE8. I clicked on the Download Solution and installed Java 6.0.20 and now there are no threat warnings in psi.

After you informed me previously about Java 6.0.20 I did a scan and posted back to you that psi was showing no threat of my Java 6.0.19. But now after un- and reinstalling psi that changed so apparently the psi that was on my system before I did the reinstall this morning was not even functional. I'm hoping that things are right now and that psi will work. If it freezes on me again I will post and let you know.

Thanks for your invaluable help!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 20th Apr, 2010 21:38
As long as U are safe. Can U please lock the thread - it will save U & I getting unnecessary update emails.

Just create a new thread if U require any more help.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.