Forum Thread: VMWare Player 2.5.4 detected as insecure

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
VMware
And, this specific program:
VMware Player 2.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
nn6o-nc4400 VMWare Player 2.5.4 detected as insecure
Member 22nd Apr, 2010 00:08
Ranking: 0
User Since: 4th Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
I'm experiencing the same issue as described in this thread:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/401...

I updated VMWare via the full product update for v6.5 (VMware-workstation-6.5.4-246459.exe). I've run 2 program scans and three "full" scans since updating and PSI still reports vmplayer.exe as being insecure (vmware.exe itself is shown as patched).

Info from PSI:

Program: VMWare Player 2.x (vmplayer.exe)
Version detected: 2.5.4

File properties of vmplayer.exe:

Path: c:\program files\vmware\vmware workstation\vmplayer.exe
Filesize: 3.06MB (3,213,872 bytes)
Created: 3/31/2010
Modified: 4/13/2010 (date of installation)
File version: 6.5.4 build-246459
Product version: 6.5.4 build-246459

Running on a laptop with Windows XP SP3. Comodo Firewall v4.0 is also running with allowances added for PSI. AV is NIS2010, firewall disabled (handled by Comodo).

For reference, PSI on my desktop system shows VMWare (and VMPlayer) as being patched - used the exact same installer that was used as on the laptop. On that system, Comodo Firewall is v3.x running SAV 10.x

Please let me know if you need more details.

- nn6o

This user no longer exists RE: VMWare Player 2.5.4 detected as insecure
Member 22nd Apr, 2010 09:04
Hi,

2.5.4 is the latest secure version. Have you tried a full rescan? Does this still show you as insecure?

If so, could I ask you to try reinstalling the PSI? If this solves the problem, please let me know.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
nn6o-nc4400 RE: VMWare Player 2.5.4 detected as insecure
Member 29th Apr, 2010 01:10
Score: 0
User Since: 4th Dec 2008
System Score: N/A
Hi Emil,

Yes, as mentioned in my original post, I've run the individual program scan twice and ran the "full" scan three times - PSI still reports VMWare Player 2.5.4 as being insecure.

Per your suggestion, I will re-install PSI and see if the problem resolves itself. Although this might work, I believe it would be best to try to determine exactly what causes this issue as it seems to occur quite often.

Thanks for the assistance so far. I'll post again with the results of the re-installation.

- nn6o

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.