Forum Thread: Virtualised software

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
CSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Softgrid_tester Virtualised software
Member 21st Jun, 2010 18:45
Ranking: 0
User Since: 21st Jun, 2010
System Score: N/A
Hello

Does the Secunia software scan virtualised applications such as those in a softgrid cache on a client computer? I cannot imagine that it would, especially if some of the softgrid application is still in a feature block on a virtual application server. But some of the application and possibly all of the application in certain cases will be on a virtual drive on the client computer. In these cases, can Secunia scan the files and suggest updates like it can with natively installed software?

Any response to this query much appreciated. Thank you.

This user no longer exists RE: Virtualised software
Member 22nd Jun, 2010 08:43
Last edited on 22nd Jun, 2010 09:10 Hi,

The CSI should be able to detect and report on anything it can access. It gets it's information by scanning files on your hard drive, and matching the results to our rules. If the CSI is allowed access to the folder, and the program doesn't prevent it from scanning, it should be able to detect programs even within your application.
However, not having tested it, I can neither confirm or deny if it works. You will have to report back and tell me.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Softgrid_tester RE: Virtualised software
Member 23rd Jun, 2010 14:01
Score: 0
User Since: 21st Jun 2010
Many thanks for the reply. I expect that the softgrid virtual drive will not be scan-able. When logged in as the administrator, access is denied to the drive. It is only viewable if browsed to within a virtualised application. Probably then, the scanner would need to be virtualised to scan virtualised software. I am guessing that this has not been done before?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
rjohansson RE: Virtualised software
Secunia Official 29th Jun, 2010 15:36
Score: 15
User Since: 5th Oct 2009
Hi

The CSI will not scan virtual drives only physical. So I dont think the CSI will be able to scan that drive at all. However we have not tested to install the CSI agent on a virtual drive similar to your environment so check if this is working correctly.

/Rickard

--
Rickard
Secunia Support

This thread has been marked as locked.