Forum Thread: Microsoft Windows Vista Service pack 2

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as resolved.
Lazybess Microsoft Windows Vista Service pack 2
Member 9th Aug, 2010 18:08
Ranking: 0
User Since: 13th Mar, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 9th Aug, 2010 18:10

Sorry Maurice Joyce. I pressed accept without realising it would close the thread shows I am a novice. It was not labelled as N/A

Post "RE: Microsoft Windows Vista Service pack 2" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: Microsoft Windows Vista Service pack 2
Handling Contributor 9th Aug, 2010 18:16
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 9th Aug, 2010 18:20
Edit:
Sorry I misread your reply. What path is the vulnerability showing?

FINDING A VULNERABILITY FILE PATH
=================================

To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, use or switch to the ADVANCED interface, then :

1 Click on the + sign of the programme to "expand' it.
2 Click on Technical Details in the Toolbox to see the installation path of the detected file. (Copy (CTRL+C) & paste (CTRL+V) the Installation Path of the file back to the Forum if U are unsure what to do next.

Update 2 15:17 21/07/2010

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Lazybess RE: Microsoft Windows Vista Service pack 2
Member 9th Aug, 2010 18:41
Score: 0
User Since: 13th Mar 2009
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 9th Aug, 2010 18:51
OK - I think I know your issue. Although U have been a member for some time perhaps best U wade through this and set up PSI fully in the ADVANCED mode.

Once U have done this just resend me just the paths to all the outstanding issues. It will not take long & U will benefit by reading it all.

SETTING UP PSI IN THE ADVANCED MODE
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Are U using the latest version of PSI that has the added feature of automatic updates for some programmes? If not,and U would like to try it the download link is here:
http://secunia.com/PSISetupAUTP.exe

Whatever version U currently use try this:

1. Open PSI by clicking the System tray icon or right click the icon & select Reload Interface.

2.Select the OVERVIEW tab.

3. In the top right corner U will see INTERFACE MODE - SIMPLE/ADVANCED. To be in the advanced mode the word SIMPLE should be blue and advanced black.

4. If advanced is blue click it. A message about advanced users may appear - ignore it - using the advanced mode is easy.

SETTING UP PSI FOR MAXIMUM ASSISTANCE
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. Click on the SETTINGS tab.

2. The top box should be empty & the two remaining boxes ticked.

3. Right at the bottom is a facility to create Global Ignore Rules. By default PSI scans & publishes the results on all the hard drives of a PC. OEM partition (reinstallation) drives (normally drive D),second internal or external drives SOLELY used to backup your work & C:\Windows\i386 which can be ignored as they have no exposure. To save confusion in the future (by way of "false positives") U may consider it a good idea to create some Global rules now.

4. A separate Ignore Rule is required for each drive which can be set up as follows:

a.Click on CREATE IGNORE RULE

b.In the RULE NAME BOX insert something like MY BACKUP DRIVE (MY PARTITION DRIVE)

c.In the RULE BOX type D:\(or the drive letter U wish to ignore) - For folder i386 use C:\Windows\i386.

d.Click SAVE IGNORE RULE>CLOSE

All drives will continue to be scanned by default but the result from the ignored list will not be published.

This thread has an article by @Anthony Wells that may also be of help in understanding the advanced mode:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/375...

It does not contain details of the auto update feature but that is very simple to use. There is a list of programmes under AUTO UPDATES - just tick (check mark) any U want PSI to auto update for U.

If a new Forum Member U might find these interesting reading as well:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Update 6 18:08 22/07/2010

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Lazybess RE: Microsoft Windows Vista Service pack 2
Member 10th Aug, 2010 01:15
Score: 0
User Since: 13th Mar 2009
Dear Maurice Joyce,

Thank you v much. I have installed the latest PSI with automatic updates. On scanning my computer in the advanced mode it no longer states Microsoft Windows Vista Service Pact 2 is vulnerable. I found the 3 articles you suggested I should read v interesting & enlightening. I have ticked the boxes for automatic updates on my computer. The only problems I have now are adobe flash & reader for which at the moment there are no solutions. Thank you so much for your help.

Joan Smith
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Microsoft Windows Vista Service pack 2
Member 10th Aug, 2010 09:20
Hi,

Glad to hear you're up and running. Maurice usually doesn't leave anyone hanging.

When dealing with Microsoft Updates, it is always wise to reboot and rescan before assuming any problems - some updates simply only "kick in" after a reboot. Remembering this when having problems in the future will help ease your patching.

Adobe Flash & Reader won't be shown as Insecure by the PSI anywhere but the "Secure Browsing" tab unless there are patches for their security problems.

Any problems that appears in Insecure should be fixable at once. Those that appear in Secure Browsing are occasionally merely warnings - vulnerabilities you can do nothing to close, but that place your browser at risk.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 10th Aug, 2010 09:59
Joan,
Pleased everything is now OK & U are set up correctly. I think U will find the auto update feature is just what U want. I would use it to update the maximum amount of programmes it has to offer.

If all your problems are now resolved could U (or Emil) please lock (Accept) the thread. This will prevent us both from receiving update emails from "tag on" posts.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.