Forum Thread: download solution error

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 6.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
tony2tone download solution error
Member 14th Aug, 2010 18:12
Ranking: 0
User Since: 14th Aug, 2010
System Score: N/A
I have had Secunia for two years and it's a wonderful program however I have had problems lately which I cannot resolve.

Secunia PSI notes that I have two insecure programs, the first of which is Microsoft XML Core Service (MSXML) 6.X. Secunia suggests that I follow the link noted under PSI but when I click it I receive the following pop-up - "Link requires IE to function correctly and will therefore not use your default browser". I don't know what problems if any I am having with IE and it is set as my default browser.

The second issue I'm having is updating Adobe Flash Player 10.X. When I click on the download solution button I receive the following pop-up - "An error occurred while attempting to open specified URL".

I uninstalled Secunia with Revo Uninstall Pro and then went to secunia.com and installed what I though was the latest version as noted on their website (ver. 1.5.0.2) and I am still having the same issues. After reading several posts here in the forum I found a link someone left to the latest version (1.9.0.1) so I downloaded and installed that version and I'm still having the same issues. I've just uninstalled Secunia using Secunia's uninstall file and I'm not reinstalling it again until I can find some answers. Which is the latest version? I have Windows Vista Home premium.

Thank you,

Tony

Maurice Joyce RE: download solution error
Handling Contributor 14th Aug, 2010 19:08
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Tony,
The official release is 1.5.0.2. Some time ago Secunia issued V 1.9.0.2 for users to try. Details are here:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/444...

If U reload one of the programmes what would be interesting to know is the paths to the problem files.

FINDING A VULNERABILITY FILE PATH
=================================

To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, use or switch to the ADVANCED interface, then :

1 Click on the + sign of the programme to "expand' it.
2 Click on Technical Details in the Toolbox to see the installation path of the detected file. (Copy (CTRL+C) & paste (CTRL+V) the Installation Path of the file back to the Forum if U are unsure what to do next.

Update 2 15:17 21/07/2010

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
tony2tone RE: download solution error
Member 16th Aug, 2010 04:38
Score: 0
User Since: 14th Aug 2010
Maurice,

Thank you,

I copied and pasted the tech details in regards to Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 6.X. As noted in my first post, I'm receiving the message that the "link requires IE to function correctly and will therefore not use your default browser".

Technical details

Technical details about this installation of Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 6.x, you can use this information to determine why the Secunia PSI detected the program and the security state of it.

Version Detected:

Installation Path:
K:\Windows\System32\msxml6.dll

Last Inspection of Program:
14th Aug. 2010, 16:35 CET

Tony
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: download solution error
Member 16th Aug, 2010 08:55
Last edited on 16th Aug, 2010 08:55 Hi,

Many Microsoft Patches require you to reboot before "kicking in". This means that in order to successfully patch, you need to

1) Check for patches, installing all available
2) Reboot
3) Repeat step 1, repeat step 2 if anything was installed
4) Rescan with the PSI.

As for the problem with opening links, please see http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/471...

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: download solution error
Handling Contributor 16th Aug, 2010 09:07
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Tony,
What do U use the K drive for? If it is a backup or reinstallation drive it is harmless.

If this is the case I would createa Global Ignore Rule to prevent this confusion in the future.

CREATING A GLOBAL IGNORE RULE
=============================

1.Click on the SETTINGS tab>scroll to the bottom & click on CREATE IGNORE RULE

2.In the RULE NAME BOX insert the Drive detail - My Backup Drive for example.

3.In the RULE BOX type D:\ (or the drive letter K in your case). If it is the i386 folder use this - C:\windows\i386

4.Click SAVE IGNORE RULE>CLOSE

5.Carry out a full PSI rescan & all should be in order.

All hard drives will continue to be scanned by default but the result from the drives ignored will not be published.

Update 4 18:10 22/07/2010

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2

This thread has been marked as locked.