Forum Thread: Sun Java safe or not?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
ielf Sun Java safe or not?
Member 15th Aug, 2010 12:28
Ranking: 0
User Since: 15th Jul, 2010
System Score: N/A
Hi everyone! Sorry for my english. Please explain why I have one and the same program is located in the vulnerable and secure.

http://i9.fastpic.ru/big/2010/0815/74/e16a243dab5f...

http://i9.fastpic.ru/big/2010/0815/58/5974642e36fa...

Windows 7 x64/////tnx

dracudok RE: Sun Java safe or not?
Member 15th Aug, 2010 17:54
Score: 42
User Since: 14th Jun 2009
System Score: N/A
Hello,

obviously, you have two versions installed, as you can see from the version column:

1. An old one (Version 1.6.0.18) which PSI regards to be unsafe
2. The present one (Version 1.6.0.21) which PSI reports to be secure.

See the details of the old version, where it is located, and if it can be removed. Sometimes other software installs its own JRE in its program folder. In this case try to configure that software to use the present JRE installation.

An other possibility is the coexistence of both the x64- and x86-version of the JRE, so perhaps you updated only one of them.

dracudok
Was this reply relevant?
+2
This user no longer exists RE: Sun Java safe or not?
Member 16th Aug, 2010 09:02
Hi,

The field "Installation path" is what you need to concentrate on here. Java is known for leaving behind old versions of itself when updating, and it frequently become necessary to either use Java uninstallers or manually remove old versions.

The field "Installation Path" (Or similar in Russian) can be found by expanding an entry (Click "+"). This field shows where the file being detected by the PSI is located.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.