Forum Thread: Suddenly I have 23 insecure programs

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
bendigedig Suddenly I have 23 insecure programs
Member 18th Aug, 2010 09:30
Ranking: 5
User Since: 26th Nov, 2008
System Score: N/A
I don't know what has happened but overnight, I have gone from 100% secure to 15% then back to 89%. It lists 23 insecure programs, some of which are obsolete. Yesterday, the scanner was getting stuck on 93% and then saying 'scan aborted' or similar.

Can anyone shed any light on what has happened?

I used the online scanner, which said that everything was up to date and secure, which is what I expected.

Maurice Joyce RE: Suddenly I have 23 insecure programs
Handling Contributor 18th Aug, 2010 09:55
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
PSI scans many more programmes than OSI. Have a wade through this to set up PSI. Once done rescan & see what vulnerabilities are left.

SETTING UP PSI IN THE ADVANCED MODE
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Are U using the latest version of PSI that has the added feature of automatic updates for some programmes? If not,and U would like to try it the download link is here:
http://secunia.com/PSISetupAUTP.exe

Whatever version U currently use try this:

1. Open PSI by clicking the System tray icon or right click the icon & select Reload Interface.

2.Select the OVERVIEW tab.

3. In the top right corner U will see INTERFACE MODE - SIMPLE/ADVANCED. To be in the advanced mode the word SIMPLE should be blue and advanced black.

4. If advanced is blue click it. A message about advanced users may appear - ignore it - using the advanced mode is easy.

SETTING UP PSI FOR MAXIMUM ASSISTANCE
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. Click on the SETTINGS tab.

2. The top box should be empty & the two remaining boxes ticked.

3. Right at the bottom is a facility to create Global Ignore Rules. By default PSI scans & publishes the results on all the hard drives of a PC. OEM partition (reinstallation) drives (normally drive D),second internal or external drives SOLELY used to backup your work & C:\Windows\i386 which can be ignored as they have no exposure. To save confusion in the future (by way of "false positives") U may consider it a good idea to create some Global rules now.

4. A separate Ignore Rule is required for each drive which can be set up as follows:

a.Click on CREATE IGNORE RULE

b.In the RULE NAME BOX insert something like MY BACKUP DRIVE (MY PARTITION DRIVE)

c.In the RULE BOX type D:\(or the drive letter U wish to ignore) - For folder i386 use C:\Windows\i386.

d.Click SAVE IGNORE RULE>CLOSE

All drives will continue to be scanned by default but the result from the ignored list will not be published.

This thread has an article by @Anthony Wells that may also be of help in understanding the advanced mode:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/375...

It does not contain details of the auto update feature but that is very simple to use. There is a list of programmes under AUTO UPDATES - just tick (check mark) any U want PSI to auto update for U.

If a new Forum Member U might find these interesting reading as well:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Update 6 18:08 22/07/2010

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+3
This user no longer exists RE: Suddenly I have 23 insecure programs
Member 18th Aug, 2010 09:59
Hi,

Which applications are being shown as insecure, and which as End-Of-Life?

Have you scanned recently? The PSI automatically scans every week (set from the time of your latest scan), so if you haven't touched it in a week, it probably scanned automatically.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bendigedig RE: Suddenly I have 23 insecure programs
Member 18th Aug, 2010 10:48
Score: 5
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
Thank you for your replies.

The end of life are Adobe Air and Adobe Shockwave player.

The insecure include Office 2007.......... I currently have Office 2010 on my computer.

The rest of the insecure programs are Adobe in some shape or form!

It tells me that Avast is not up to date and wants me to install an old version, I have the most recent version installed.

It also tells me that the last system scan was 9 days ago, when in fact, it was this morning and, prior to that, last night.

I had had the setting on advanced but that also appeared to have changed to simple.

I think I have gremlins in the works!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Suddenly I have 23 insecure programs
Handling Contributor 18th Aug, 2010 10:54
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
What U are not telling us is the paths to the problems:
FINDING A VULNERABILITY FILE PATH
=================================

To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, use or switch to the ADVANCED interface, then :

1 Click on the + sign of the programme to "expand' it.
2 Click on Technical Details in the Toolbox to see the installation path of the detected file. (Copy (CTRL+C) & paste (CTRL+V) the Installation Path of the file back to the Forum if U are unsure what to do next.

Update 2 15:17 21/07/2010

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 18th Aug, 2010 11:19
Hi,

First of, lets patch all your Microsoft applications. To do this, follow this procedure:

1) Check Microsoft Update, install all critical (ie. security) patches
2) Reboot
3) Repeat step 1, if anything was installed, repeat step 2
4) Rescan with the PSI.

Hopefully, this should result in a clean slate of Microsoft health.
As for the other applications, have you tried clicking the "Solution" button, running the installers and rescanning?

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Aug, 2010 11:46
on 18th Aug, 2010 11:19, wrote:
Hi,

First of, lets patch all your Microsoft applications. To do this, follow this procedure:

1) Check Microsoft Update, install all critical (ie. security) patches
2) Reboot
3) Repeat step 1, if anything was installed, repeat step 2
4) Rescan with the PSI.

Hopefully, this should result in a clean slate of Microsoft health.
As for the other applications, have you tried clicking the "Solution" button, running the installers and rescanning?

hope this helps.

Thank you for your replies and patience! All my Microsoft apps are up to date with all security patches applied. My pc is set to do this automatically.

I have clicked the various 'solution' buttons and find that the suggestions are already installed.

The only other thing I have been looking at, is new programs that I installed yesterday, viz Spybot S&D. I will try uninstalling that to see what happens.

Thank you again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
getsmart RE: Suddenly I have 23 insecure programs
Member 18th Aug, 2010 11:47
Score: 0
User Since: 3rd Dec 2009
MS just released I think 16 updated very recently.

Some of the programs the Secunia picked out for you to be updated read all the instructions FIRST you might have to remove all previous versions first by going to the XXXX site. Some of the Adobe programs come into this category.

In some cases just removing them your self from the program is not enough.

Also make sure you are running the correct Secunia program correctly.
I run mine every night and if there is a concern it is fixed immediately.

Keith
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Aug, 2010 12:14
Last edited on 18th Aug, 2010 12:17 Hi,

Have you tried running a full rescan? Or rebooting? Doing these two things (reboot first) usually takes care of issues of this sort.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Aug, 2010 13:35
on 18th Aug, 2010 12:14, wrote:
Hi,

Have you tried running a full rescan? Or rebooting? Doing these two things (reboot first) usually takes care of issues of this sort.

I have just had a 'fun' hour os so! I tried rebooting and the whole system crashed completely. I opened in safe mode and used system restore to restore to about 10 days ago. The psi is currently refusing to open at all. I will try uninstalling that and reinstalling and will get back to you when I have a result.

Thank you for your replies.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.