Forum Thread: False ID - - Windows 2000 Server

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
RxDdude False ID - - Windows 2000 Server
Member 23rd Aug, 2010 16:34
Ranking: 4
User Since: 20th Aug, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 23rd Aug, 2010 16:34

Maybe this belongs in "Programs" Forum - will try posting there too.

Secunia PSI scanned on both bootups (twice) on this date, and both times, reported End-of-Life warning on "Windows 2000 Server."

This Windows XP Professional edition SP3 machine has never had any edition of Windows Server installed, certainly not Windows 2000 Server. I, myself, purchased this box new at retail, HP Pavilion model a1020n with OEM Windows Home edition, and later purchased the XP Professional CD and upgraded it, adding SP1, SP2 and SP3 through the years.

This is not the first reboot since Microsoft Patch Tuesday updates were installed last week, so, I doubt that the patches caused this. My PSI shows v1.5.0.2.

Additional observation - on the bootup prior to the current bootup, Secunia PSI came up automatically and proclaimed that the last scan was in 1969 and that it would run the first scan now. [Apparently, it couldn't find its database, in use for over a year.] Later, after seeing no other indication of scan activity despite the request to wait for scan to complete (i.e., no hard-drive activity light), I initiated he scan, and that scan reported Windows 2000 Server falsely, and also it re-connected to the database and displayed the last many weeks. It did not lose the database on latest bootup.

When reporting this false ID, it reports that the path is, "N/A". How sweet is that?

Rescan did not cure the false ID.

I have a screenshot in a 132KB JPEG, of PSI's End-of-Life window. It will not attach here, nor will it paste into this window. If you want to see it, let me know how to send it. Email inbox: basketx Email domain: aol.com

--

Maurice Joyce RE: False ID - - Windows 2000 Server
Handling Contributor 23rd Aug, 2010 17:22
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
POSTING A SCREEN SHOT TO THE FORUM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
To post a screen shot to the Forum U need to:

1. Capture the image by using a programme such as:
a. Microsoft Paint - details here:How To Take A Screenshot:
http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Screenshot-in-Micros...
b. Microsoft One Note
c. Microsoft Snippet (Windows 7 & Vista)
d. Any third party equivalent programme.

2. Save the image to an online repository such as Microsoft Skydrive or Office Online or here: http://tinypic.com/

3. Post the hyperlink to the stored online image to the Forum.

Update 3 00:51 20/07/2010

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Maurice Joyce RE: False ID - - Windows 2000 Server
Handling Contributor 23rd Aug, 2010 22:06
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Looks like U could be affected by the ongoing problem explained in this thread:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/482...

U will note a post where a Secunia Official advises reverting to V 1.5.0.1 & gives the download link.

Worth a try.

I have put this on both threads U have opened. To save confusion it may be an idea to lock the one I have marked duplicate.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+4
This user no longer exists RE: False ID - - Windows 2000 Server
Member 24th Aug, 2010 09:56
Hi,

To correct this, I need some information from you. Please note that extracting this information requires working with the registry, and that the contents of the registry are important to the well-being of your system. It is therefore important not to tamper with anything while working in the registry.

First, I need you to open Regedit. You can do this by clicking Start > Run/Type in the search field for Vista/Win7, and typing "Regedit". Once Regedit launches, navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

I need the value of the keys "ProductName, CSDVersion, CurrentBuildNumber, BuildLab, CurrentType, CurrentVersion" in order to correct the detection.

You can send us this information at support@secunia.com, or by posting it here.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
RxDdude RE: False ID - - Windows 2000 Server
Member 28th Aug, 2010 09:16
Score: 4
User Since: 20th Aug 2009
Last edited on 28th Aug, 2010 09:22
Thanks for the replies, Messrs. Joyce and Petersen:

The PSI End-of-Life window image (JPEG) has been uploaded to tinypic,
URL: http://tinypic.com/r/mhre54/4 . The image was also emailed via tinypic to support@secunia.com, I expect that there will probably be only minimal information with the photo in that email message composed automatically by the tinypic server.

Regedit gave me the following Registry information for the keys requested. I am inserting the information from the Regedit window by Copy-and-Paste, to ensure data integrity:

ProductName...............Microsoft Windows XP
CSDVersion..................Service Pack 3
CurrentBuildNumber....2600
BuildLab.......................2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.1 00427-1636
CurrentType.................Uniprocessor Free
CurrentVersion.............5.1

In the latest scan, tonight within the hour, the false ID of Windows 2000 Server did not appear, and I credit Secunia with having fixed the problem. The promptness of Secunia's response and curing of the erroneous ID is commended.
- I did close the corresponding thread that I had started in the Programs section of Secunia's Forum. That thread also had a helpful set of replies and discussion. I hope that those differing messages might be moved by the moderator into this thread for completeness and ease of reference for the future. Or, if more appropriate, move these messages into that thread.
- Because Windows 2000 Server did not recur tonight, I do not find it necessary to change back to v1.5.0.1. Thank you, Secunia.
- No change to my Windows XP configuration has been made as far as I know, since the event and my first report.
It is my hope that this information and the screenshot JPEG might somehow be useful to Secunia, although it looks likely to be moot at this point. Thanks, again.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.