Forum Thread: Flash CS3 - change to rules

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
motty Flash CS3 - change to rules
Member 31st Aug, 2010 22:13
Ranking: -37
User Since: 12th Jun, 2009
System Score: N/A
Hi,

I installed the latest Flash CS3's player update as per the instructions and got Flash CS3 back on the patched list.

However, I noticed that if I remove the whole "player" folder from the main Flash progam folder tree (Flash seems to work fine without and I generally publish preview in a browser during development), Flash re-appears as insecure.

Is it possible to change the rules so Flash is secure if the latest FlashPlayer.exe exists OR if no FlashPlater.exe exists?

I'd rather just not have this component installed on my system as I don't use it...

Thanks

--
my music: http://www.fromabrokenheart.com

This user no longer exists RE: Flash CS3 - change to rules
Member 1st Sep, 2010 08:28
Last edited on 1st Sep, 2010 08:29 Hi,

The PSI occasionally uses files appart from the main executable to extract it's version information, and in the case of Flash CS3 we use "Flash.exe" to detect the program, and "SAFlashPlayer.exe" to extract it's versioning information. It is likely that by deleting the folder, you remove the version of SAFlashPlayer.exe we use to determine if we are up to date.

If you can find a file outside the "Player" folder with the version info "9.0.280" (presuming you have the latest secure version installed) this file could be used instead of SAFlashPlayer.exe. If you scroll to the bottom of the Insecure or Patched tabs and click "Program Missing? Click here to suggest it!". If you submit the file you think is appropriate, I will investigate the possibility of using this file instead.

However, since the important thing is to keep up to date, the version shown in the PSI does not matter if you make sure to keep the program itself up to date - the Secunia PSI only tries to serve as a reminder. To see what is the latest secure version, keep track of Secunia Advisories for Flash CS3 (Which you can do from here: http://secunia.com/advisories/product/14231/?task=...). If you have the version indicated as "Secure" by our advisory, the file information being shown in the interface is largely irrelevant.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
motty RE: Flash CS3 - change to rules
Member 1st Sep, 2010 08:35
Score: -37
User Since: 12th Jun 2009
System Score: N/A
Thanks for the reply,

Would it not be possible to have seperate entries for Flash and for the player? After all, all other instances of flash players are recorded separatly...

This might help with some of the confussion people have had with this update.

--
my music: http://www.fromabrokenheart.com
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Flash CS3 - change to rules
Member 1st Sep, 2010 08:43
Hi,

We do not detect embedded components as seperate from the primary product. The Secunia PSI seeks to help typical users patch their systems, and the typical user is our intended audience.

If you can find a file with the appropriate version info I would be happy to our rules so it works for you without the Player. However, if there is no such file, you will have to keep track manually.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.