Forum Thread: 2.0 Beta feedback and suggestions

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as locked.
mclintock 2.0 Beta feedback and suggestions
Member 3rd Sep, 2010 04:25
Ranking: 0
User Since: 3rd Sep, 2010
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 3rd Sep, 2010 04:41

Long time user. First time poster. I was using the 2.0 CTP and upgraded to the public beta last night.

I would also like a last updated column as this user mentioned:
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/523...
This would be in the results screen. Actually thisis probably only useful for programs that auto update.

Instead of a last updated column in the results you could bring back the auto update log that existed in the CTP. I can see the update if I click on an individual program that is auto update enabled but I'd liked to see a global auto update history similar to the previous version. To me it would make sense to have the global auto update log on the dashboard in place of the beta feedback are or split the Secunia system score bar chats into two parts. One part for the bar charts and the other part for the global auto update log.

It is harder to detect zombie files compared to before. The # column in the results screen isn't reliable enough (many have > 1 count but not zombies) to use to determine if there is a zombie. I think some of sort of zombie notification would be useful in the results screen. I don't think it really warrants a new column. Perhaps the actual number could just be bolded in the # column to signal a zombie exists... BRAAAAAIIIIIIINSSSSSSSSSSS

I really miss the screen in the previous version that showed all the plugins installed for the browsers.

My program count is very different now. Previously it was 74. Yesterday when I upgraded to the public beta it changed the count to 59. Then when i opened it up today and scanned again it said 58 programs. I didn't change anything as far as installations go,

This user no longer exists RE: 2.0 Beta feedback and suggestions
Member 3rd Sep, 2010 10:37
Last edited on 3rd Sep, 2010 10:38 Hi,

Thank you for your feedback on the PSI 2.0 beta.

on 3rd Sep, 2010 04:25, mclintock wrote:

I would also like a last updated column as this user mentioned:
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/523...
This would be in the results screen. Actually thisis probably only useful for programs that auto update.

Instead of a last updated column in the results you could bring back the auto update log that existed in the CTP. I can see the update if I click on an individual program that is auto update enabled but I'd liked to see a global auto update history similar to the previous version. To me it would make sense to have the global auto update log on the dashboard in place of the beta feedback are or split the Secunia system score bar chats into two parts. One part for the bar charts and the other part for the global auto update log.

I have forwarded your suggestion to our developers, who will consider it for a later version.

It is harder to detect zombie files compared to before. The # column in the results screen isn't reliable enough (many have > 1 count but not zombies) to use to determine if there is a zombie. I think some of sort of zombie notification would be useful in the results screen. I don't think it really warrants a new column. Perhaps the actual number could just be bolded in the # column to signal a zombie exists... BRAAAAAIIIIIIINSSSSSSSSSSS

I agree with your observation, and will forward your suggestion to our developers.

I really miss the screen in the previous version that showed all the plugins installed for the browsers.

We will consider your stance on the Secure Browsing feature.

My program count is very different now. Previously it was 74. Yesterday when I upgraded to the public beta it changed the count to 59. Then when i opened it up today and scanned again it said 58 programs. I didn't change anything as far as installations go,

The mechanism for scanning has not changed radically, and the PSI still detects every program it did before (If anything, it detects more programs). However, a few of the specific changes in the 2.0 Beta could make it appear that some programs have disappeared.

One is that the PSI now tries to group several detections of the same program as one entry, and only counts it as one. This mean that if you, for example, have 5 installations of Google Chrome 5.x, only 1 will be counted and shown in the statistics. This is to avoid the confusion caused by "Zombie Files" (Upgrade leftovers), which was a common issue with older versions.

You can still see every detected instance by expanding the program entry under "Results". If you double-click the entry, a list with the appropriate statuses for each program.

Another is that the PSI now by default only scans the root drive (Which is usually C:), and the drive containing "Program Files" (Usually also C:). To scan other drives, you can go to the Settings tab and choose which drives you wish to scan under "Drives", simply by setting a checkbox next to the appropriate drive.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.