Forum Thread: Updates

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as locked.
simon94 Updates
Member 3rd Sep, 2010 13:27
Ranking: 0
User Since: 5th Mar, 2010
System Score: N/A
I have tried this software which produced 1 insecure program (an old version of mozzila firefox V3.0 which has been updated many times to V 3.6.8) plus 7 end of life programs which had been uninstalled some time ago (I checked that the old versions were not in Program Files by using explorer, running any exe file that I found with the same name and checking version info).
I also found I had an insecure Windows7 and tried to update it (which it would not do sucessfully). I tried the microsoft recommended action but the two important updates could not be installed (even after restarting the PC and retrying!).
So the overall impression is that it will tell you which programs may be insecure but you need to check if they have been updated already!.
Simon Yarwood

This user no longer exists RE: Updates
Member 3rd Sep, 2010 14:00
Hi,

If you wish to see which file the PSI is detecting, you can expand the entry by clicking the "+" button next to every entry shown in the Results tab.

The PSI relies on a working installation of Microsoft Update. Are you receiving any errors when you try applying patches from Microsoft? It is also important to keep in mind that some Microsoft updates do not "Kick in" before a reboot.

hope this helps.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
simon94 RE: Updates
Member 3rd Sep, 2010 15:37
Score: 0
User Since: 5th Mar 2010
Hello,
As I said in my original thread I cannot update my Windows 7 with two "important updates", whichever way I try (including the Microsoft workround for Windows 7 updates failing). I do not know if this is affecting PSI so I am assuming the 93% rating is the best that my Windows 7 Home Premium Operating System will get untill there is yet another update!
Regards
Simon Yarwood
Was this reply relevant?
+0
simon94 RE: Updates
Member 3rd Sep, 2010 18:14
Score: 0
User Since: 5th Mar 2010
Since that time I have updated my PC so that its a green tick "No updates required" with windows update!.
How I did it is not very clear to me but the system update readiness tool became available via the microsoft update web site .
I had to download and install two components for the readiness tool for Windows 7 (32 bit), with restart after each install (so not a standard Windows Update!!).
Then I could run Windows update and install the two important updates one at a time and restart (I also installed the optional update to make the update complete although it was only Windows live essentials and I only ticked mail (but keep my homepage), Photo Gallery, Movie Maker, Toolbar & Writer).
But Secunia still only gives 94% No insecure but five End Of Life Programs.
Without Secunia I would never have spent as much time chasing about looking at help files and eventually patching insecure programs (The main culprit was Windows 7 Home Premium system update readiness!!).
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.