Forum Thread: Bug report - Program versions not the actual installed ones

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as locked.
simon94 Bug report - Program versions not the actual installed ones
Member 6th Sep, 2010 12:44
Ranking: 0
User Since: 5th Mar, 2010
System Score: N/A
Hello,
Now I have eventually got Windows 7 Home Premium to update itself (update readyness tool), I still get a score of 94%.
I have checked and found that the "vunerabilities" are old versions of programs that have been updated!!.
To check this I run the named program (which should have been updated), click on the Help, select about and compare the version number to what Secunia thinks the version is (I also checked that the version number is what I think and have recorded in my log book!!).
So Secunia does not track the updates of programs but somewhere it has stored the program version and looks at that (rather than at the program version after updates). This means that Secunia is not overwriting the place where it has stored the program version which means it will be out of date if any updates have occured!!. If Secunia scan always got the version from the actual program and made sure the versions were always overwitten on each scan then this bug would be removed!!.
Simon Yarwood

This user no longer exists RE: Bug report - Program versions not the actual installed ones
Member 6th Sep, 2010 12:55
Hi,

The Secunia PSI does get it's version numbers directly from the files on each scan.
Which program are you having problems updating?

Occasionally, though, the PSI needs to get it's version information from a file other than the one used to detect the programs, either because a vendor "forgot" to update the version number on a file, or for other, similar reasons.

However, I think it more likely that what you are having problems with is a Zombie File. A Zombie File, in this context, is defined as an old installation leftover. Some applications simply fail to remove older versions of themselves when they install the newer version.

For more information about how the Secunia PSI works, I suggest you see http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.