Forum Thread: Program Visible "Too Much"

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as locked.
SA Jack Program Visible "Too Much"
Member 6th Sep, 2010 19:56
Ranking: 0
User Since: 7th Oct, 2008
System Score: N/A
Hi:
I've been using PSI for quite a while now and have been pleased with it. I downloaded the 2.0 Beta the other day. After working with and observing the program for a couple of days, I have a couple of comments.

1. Every time I log onto my account, whether it's from a switch-user or the PC is coming out of standby, PSI opens in a full screen, even though it does not appear that anything has happened since the last time it made an appearance. This never occurred in pre-beta 2 releases, and I don't know what advantage exists with this behavior.

2. With respect to auto-update; I don't know if PSI will attempt to auto-update all programs that it finds to be out-of-date. My initial scan with PSI 2 Beta was just a couple of days following my weekly scan with PSI's current stable version, and everything was up-to-date. If the new version will attempt to auto-update all programs, I'm concerned about a number of vendors of excellent programs (e.g. CCleaner, etc) that create "default" check marks on installing search toolbars from sources like Yahoo or Ask. I don't want any of those adware toolbars installed on my system. Would you clarify exactly what type of programs are auto-updated and what (if any) are not. Also, if PSI updates all, how (can) it prevent installation of unwanted toolbars, etc?

Thank you.

smurphdude RE: Program Visible "Too Much"
Contributor 7th Sep, 2010 07:32
Score: 107
User Since: 13th Aug 2010
On the scan results page at the top you will see a check box that says limit results to auto-updatable. Tick this box to limit the scan results to those programs that PSI can currently auto-update. It's a very limited list on my machine (CCcleaner isn't on it.)

If you double click the program entries you can individually turn auto update off for programs you want to exclude. If you want to turn auto update off entirely that can be done from the settings page.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Program Visible "Too Much"
Member 7th Sep, 2010 10:10
Last edited on 7th Sep, 2010 10:41 Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

on 6th Sep, 2010 19:56, SA Jack wrote:

1. Every time I log onto my account, whether it's from a switch-user or the PC is coming out of standby, PSI opens in a full screen, even though it does not appear that anything has happened since the last time it made an appearance. This never occurred in pre-beta 2 releases, and I don't know what advantage exists with this behavior.

I have forwarded your observation to our developers. Thank you for reporting.

on 6th Sep, 2010 19:56, SA Jack wrote:

2. With respect to auto-update; I don't know if PSI will attempt to auto-update all programs that it finds to be out-of-date. My initial scan with PSI 2 Beta was just a couple of days following my weekly scan with PSI's current stable version, and everything was up-to-date. If the new version will attempt to auto-update all programs, I'm concerned about a number of vendors of excellent programs (e.g. CCleaner, etc) that create "default" check marks on installing search toolbars from sources like Yahoo or Ask. I don't want any of those adware toolbars installed on my system. Would you clarify exactly what type of programs are auto-updated and what (if any) are not. Also, if PSI updates all, how (can) it prevent installation of unwanted toolbars, etc?

As mentioned, the PSI cannot automatically update every application. One criteria for providing automatic updating is that the installer does not bring along any "bloat", which would include toolsbars, etc.

We attempt to automatically upgrade as many programs as possible, though whether or not it is possible depends on the quality of the vendor's installer. For those installers that do not provide "silent install", there is little we can do.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
SA Jack RE: Program Visible "Too Much"
Member 7th Sep, 2010 15:36
Score: 0
User Since: 7th Oct 2008
Thanks to you both for your responses. I checked my auto-update list of programs and it appears that I do have a couple that I'll need to watch how the next update installs. These include Google Picasa 3 and PDF-XChange Viewer 2.x (64-bit). The remaining programs that look OK include
Flash 10.x (Active X and the one for Firefox)
Sun Java JRE 1.+.x/6.x (plus the 64-bit version of the same
Firefox & Thunderbird

I'll reply back to this tread if any unexpected results occur with respect to auto-updates to these programs. -Jack
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.