Forum Thread: 2.0 Beta Thanks, Observations and Questions

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as locked.
F_BIG 2.0 Beta Thanks, Observations and Questions
Member 7th Sep, 2010 07:46
Ranking: 4
User Since: 14th May, 2009
System Score: N/A
Thanks Secunia, for the improvements coming in PSI 2.0
The Beta and the Public Beta have been what I have come to expect from Secunia.

Now for the observations:
1. I appreciate the consolidation of the detected instances under a single entry. This took my entries down from about 600 to under 300. It also makes it easier to see why you have multiple program versions in multiple locations.
2. Beta is less responsive than last 1.5 versions I used, as well as 1.9 version.
3. It would surely be great to have an expand/contract button for all nodes in the results views.

The questions:
1. Have you thought of a faster interface than the new one? I feel like that my interface is mired in quicksand.
2. What do you do with hard links? I am using the hardlinkshell extension for XP from Hermann Schinagl at http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/ntutils.html to reduce or eliminate duplicate files. e.g. I had an insecure version of the flash dll {Macromedia Flash Player 7.x (Zombie file) 7.0.19.0 (NPAPI)} which I replaced with a hardlink tp the one in the adobe help center location with the one in windows, per se:
:\os\HardLinkShell>ln -e c:\
Saturated Hardlinks
---------------------
c:\\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Help Center\Browser\plugins\NPSWF32.dll: 2
c:\\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll: 2

UnSaturated Hardlinks
---------------------
No unsaturated hardlinks found.

1 Hardlink Groups found.
--------------
Now before I replaced the occurrence in the help center, PSI2.0 beta was showing two files. After I replaced the file, only one was shown.
So, does this mean that PSI handled my hardlink?

=thanks

This user no longer exists RE: 2.0 Beta Thanks, Observations and Questions
Member 7th Sep, 2010 10:38
Last edited on 7th Sep, 2010 10:39 Hi,

Thank you for your feedback

on 7th Sep, 2010 07:46, F_BIG wrote:

3. It would surely be great to have an expand/contract button for all nodes in the results views.

I have forwarded your suggestion to our developers.

The questions:
1. Have you thought of a faster interface than the new one? I feel like that my interface is mired in quicksand.

There should be no slowdown in the new interface. Have you set your Internet Explorer settings like demonstrated in this item of our FAQ?
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

2. What do you do with hard links?

The PSI currently does not follow hard links, but simply treats them as regular files.

If you have any further questions or feedback, please let us know.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
F_BIG RE: 2.0 Beta Thanks, Observations and Questions
Member 8th Sep, 2010 08:12
Score: 4
User Since: 14th May 2009
System Score: N/A
Aha! That explains some of my multiple lines. Maybe. I'll have to look at them more carefully, and probably nuke all of my exceptions, rescan, then reinstate them after I'm sure.

I have somewhat over 3 TiB of disk storage attached to this machine. I have been using duplicate file and indexing programs to reduce redundancy in my data storage.

For instance, by finding the duplicates in my game and digital photo/video subdirectory trees, I was able to pick up a gig here and a gig there, and pretty soon you're talking about some real disk space. [with a nod to Sen. Everett Dirksen's quip] by using the hardlink strategy.

And the other real benefit of PSI is that in attaining all that disk space (started with the OEM 40GiB), cloning the drive to a larger one, and doing the process several times, despite a fairly rigorous migration procedure, I have wound up with orphan and zombie executables all over my disk space. Usually I get them, but PSI has been invaluable in spotting those executables and the like I have overlooked. Of course, if I didn't put the old, smaller drives into external cases, I couldn't use them could I?

again, thanks.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.