Forum Thread: Firefox Downgraded

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as locked.
welbow Firefox Downgraded
Member 9th Sep, 2010 06:01
Ranking: 0
User Since: 9th Sep, 2010
System Score: N/A
So I realize beta means beta - and I'm happy with all the other stuff that PSI 2.0 fixed :)

But.... I was running Firefox 4 beta 4 - admittedly, not the latest beta release ;) Then, PSI did its scan/fix.

But PSI downgraded me to 3.6.9 and in the process, lost a few settings that 3.6 zapped that 4b4 had used.

So maybe instead of doing an automatic upgrade if something looks funky (e.g. 4 shouldn't be less than 3.6.9), prompt the user? I know that's breaking one of the 6 laws of computer security - but I also know that people purposefully running a beta version of something don't want it downgraded without even a prompt or warning :)

In the meantime, I disabled AU on Firefox. After installing 4b5 over 3.6.9 (since I only want one version on the box), Firefox no longer shows up as a program in PSI. I am using the default path on Windows 7.

Again, great product - hope the feedback is taken in the constructive spirit it is meant!

This user no longer exists RE: Firefox Downgraded
Member 9th Sep, 2010 11:27
Hi,

The PSI does not track or monitor Beta versions. The Update that was applied should only have affected your 3.6.x installation. I tested this myself, and found that the Firefox 4.0 Beta 5 was not affected by installing patches for 3.6.x. Is the "down-grade" issue reproduceable?

And as for feedback, don't worry. The reason we have a beta testing period is to work through issues like this! So, if you have any further issues, please do report them. We promise not to be offended. ;)

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
welbow RE: Firefox Downgraded
Member 11th Sep, 2010 06:55
Score: 0
User Since: 9th Sep 2010
System Score: N/A
on 9th Sep, 2010 11:27, wrote:
Hi,

The PSI does not track or monitor Beta versions. The Update that was applied should only have affected your 3.6.x installation. I tested this myself, and found that the Firefox 4.0 Beta 5 was not affected by installing patches for 3.6.x. Is the "down-grade" issue reproduceable?

Emil,

I installed the beta on top of my existing installation (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox. While not the default, I only want one version of Firefox, so it made sense to me to install it in the "release" location instead of \Mozille Firefox 4betaN (or whatever the default beta location is).

I haven't tried it again, but I have a feeling PSI zapped it because I didn't take the default beta install directory.

HTH :)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Firefox Downgraded
Member 13th Sep, 2010 11:14
Hi,

Yes, that is most likely the issue. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do to correct it - As I have previously stated, the PSI doesn't montior/care about Beta/Alpha version.

I suggest you simply deactivate auto-updating for this particular program. To do this, you can double-click the Programs entry under "Results, and uncheck the "Auto-Update (Program Name)" checkbox.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.