Forum Thread: UI & End-of-life programs

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as locked.
renman UI & End-of-life programs
Member 9th Sep, 2010 12:56
Ranking: 1
User Since: 6th Oct, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 9th Sep, 2010 13:09

The User Interface is not as intuitive as the old one. As someone in another thread posted, "maybe when I get used to it..." indicates use is not obvious or user friendly. The best UI is one where you don't need a manual or have to learn by trial and error. And the font size is too small

With the previous PSI I would always get two programs that were End-of-life (RegCleaner and Word 2000) and now they don't show up. Are they not now at EOL? Or do you simply figure that no one is still using them?

Edit: Re-ran PSI2.0 Beta and EOL programs show up. BUT Scan Results show "2 missing" but do not show what they are.

The Start/Stop scan symbols look like hockey pucks.

This user no longer exists RE: UI & End-of-life programs
Member 9th Sep, 2010 13:10
Hi,

The PSI still shows EOL items. However, it now tries to group entries for the same program, and only counts them as one, which could make it seem the detection is less broad. However, the PSI still detects everything it did before.

For example: If you have 3 installations of Google Chrome 6.x, two insecure and one secure, and a single installation of Google Chrome 5.x, only the patched 6.x version would be shown in results. The other detections aren't ignored, but simply grouped under this instance. To see which instances are grouped together, simply expand the program entry in the results tab (By clicking the "+" button), or double-click the entry to see more details.

I suspect that you have more recent versions of RegCleaner and Word installed, which is why the Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta does not show them seperately.

The PSI also tries to make it obvious if you have an End-Of-Life or insecure item installed. Under the results tab, the PSI will, under "Program State", show the status of a detected program. You can even sort the results based on the security state of a program, by clicking the "Program State" column header.

I have forwarded your comment about the font size to our developers.

Thank you for your feedback.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
renman RE: UI & End-of-life programs
Member 9th Sep, 2010 13:17
Score: 1
User Since: 6th Oct 2009
I re-ran scan and it shows "0 Insecure programs."

Dashboard still shows "2 missing" in red next to Results.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: UI & End-of-life programs
Member 9th Sep, 2010 13:23
Hi,

If there is a warning of "Missing" next to the Results tab, this means there are Insecure or End-Of-Life programs on your machine. You should be able to see these on the Results tab.
Have you tried sorting after "Program State" by clicking the "Program State" column header?
The programs with "Insecure" or "End-Of-Life" in Program State field are the ones that require your attention.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
renman RE: UI & End-of-life programs
Member 9th Sep, 2010 13:29
Score: 1
User Since: 6th Oct 2009
Last edited on 9th Sep, 2010 13:30
Hover your mouse pointer over "2 missing" and you get a tooltip that says Indicates how many security patches you are missing. I do NOT consider an EOL program in the same category as missing a security patch. To me, a missing security patch indicates an insecure program.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.