Forum Thread: PSI using IE Frame!?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
ThePop PSI using IE Frame!?
Member 13th Sep, 2010 11:57
Ranking: -6
User Since: 13th Sep, 2010
System Score: N/A
Hello, I really like Secunia PSI and I'm just trying the beta of PSI 2, BUT, please stop using an IE frame as GUI! How dangerous is this?
I remember that Norton or Symantec in the past choose a similar approach and one day I couldn't use them anymore because of virus infecting IE and blocking JavaScript!

For a security tool use IE (or a browser more in general!) is a really bad idea!

Moreover the GUI blocks very frequently! I don't know if IE is involved in this, but you should try to improve responsiveness too!

However... GREAT product guys!

This user no longer exists RE: PSI using IE Frame!?
Member 13th Sep, 2010 13:05
Hi,

Since the PSI is not exposed to the general internet, there should not be any inherent risk in using this windows build-in component to display our User Interface, even if a vulnerability existed in Internet Explorer (IE). The IE browser is an embedded component of the Windows Operating system, and can never be removed (No, the browser choice screen introduced in Europe doesn't actually remove IE - it only removes certain shortcuts).

Please note that the PSI makes no attempt to check for existing infections on your system, and only serves as a security patch checker. If you computer is already compromised, there is little the PSI can do to help you. This was never the intention of the PSI. For more information, please see http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

ThePop

RE: PSI using IE Frame!?
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
This user no longer exists RE: PSI using IE Frame!?
Member 13th Sep, 2010 13:59
Hi,

If a virus infects your system and makes Internet Explorer unusable, the PSI will probbaly stop working, yes. In this case, though, I don't think the PSI should be your primary concern.

However, your concern has been duely noted.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.