Forum Thread: All of a sudden Windows 7 is a threat

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Windows 7

This thread has been marked as locked.
SecDaan All of a sudden Windows 7 is a threat
Member 15th Sep, 2010 03:14
Ranking: 0
User Since: 11th Mar, 2010
System Score: N/A
Tonight when I logged on, Windows 7 (64 bit) is listed as a threat.
I am an IT professional, I work for the State of Wisconsin, USA.
This machine is up to date (double checked). Hell, I make my living securing computers.
There is no path listed for the security issue. September's patches have already been applied with no 'alert' from Secunia.
I ran the usual batch of kernel attack programs, port reporters, even tried to hammer my way into the system from outside with a special virus program.
There are no unusual entries in the various system logs. Reviewed the update logs without finding anything amiss.
Ran Burnin Test 6.0 & Performance Test 7.0. Did deep scans with Avira and Vipre (Enterprise edition). Nothing found, firewall seems fine, no trojans, rootkits, or any other type of virus found.
Checked install logs, nothing there.
Cisco ASA is running and properly updated as is Windows firewall.
So, no malicious programs running (or stored), no open/unmonitored ports, no new programs installed, firewall running fine, same with ASA/PIX ...
Bat Blue, Barracuda, and Microsoft do not know anything new (there are the usual suspects with them however Microsoft says they do not have anything planned 'out of cycle'). Same same with our forum members of Black Hat and DefCon.
So, what does Secunia know, why now and not yesterday, and what is the fix if MS does not have a patch for it? We are starting to deploy Win 7 in systems that are mission critical to protect PII and would really need to know if there is a vulnerability.
PSI v1.5.0.2 --

This user no longer exists RE: All of a sudden Windows 7 is a threat
Member 15th Sep, 2010 08:54
Hi,

The PSI will always let you know which problem it is trying to patch for you. To see the Advisory for the detected insecurity, first enter Advanced mode by clicking "Advanced" in the top right corner.

Then, navigate to the Insecure tab, find the entries for the relevant products, click "+" to expand the entry, and click the button "Online References". From here, you can see the Secunia Advisory, which should let you know which vulnerability the alert is about.

If you have already installed patches, and feel the PSI should stop flagging you as insecure, please be aware that same Microsoft Patches require a reboot to "kick in". When updating Microsoft Products, we recommend you follow this procedure:

1) Check Microsoft Update, install all available Security patches
2) Reboot
3) Repeat step 1), if anything was installed in this step, repeat step 2)
4) Run a full rescan with the PSI

Once you have finished, the PSI should shown you as Secure.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
pe0mot RE: All of a sudden Windows 7 is a threat
Member 17th Sep, 2010 15:03
Score: 0
User Since: 25th Jan 2010
I am sorry, it does not help on my win7 64 bit system.
No updates available, rebooted, still PSI says win7 is insecure with no technical details!

Technical details

Technical details about this installation of Microsoft Windows 7, you can use this information to determine why the Secunia PSI detected the program and the security state of it.

Version Detected:

Last Inspection of Program:
16th Sep. 2010, 16:31 CET
Was this reply relevant?
+0
pe0mot RE: All of a sudden Windows 7 is a threat
Member 17th Sep, 2010 15:21
Score: 0
User Since: 25th Jan 2010
yep, another reboot and full scan and it's ok now!
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.