Forum Thread: Secunia says Word 2007 is outdated, Microsoft says it's up to date

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Word 2007

This thread has been marked as locked.
secuniageorge Secunia says Word 2007 is outdated, Microsoft says it's up to date
Member 20th Sep, 2010 01:23
Ranking: 2
User Since: 20th Sep, 2010
System Score: N/A

This user no longer exists RE: Secunia says Word 2007 is outdated, Microsoft says it's up to date
Member 20th Sep, 2010 08:29
Hi,

Keep in mind that some Windows Updates do not "kick in" until after a reboot. Therefore, to patch a Windows Operating System, try following this procedure:

1) Check Microsoft Update, install all available security-related patches
2) Reboot
3) Repeat step 1, repeat step 2 if anything was installed at this step
4) Run a full rescan with the PSI.

This should show you as 100% secure.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Secunia says Word 2007 is outdated, Microsoft says it's up to date
Handling Contributor 20th Sep, 2010 10:15
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Emil,
Did U notice the vulnerability is being reported on the E drive?

Not sure whether that is the default main drive in use, a back up, a reinstallation partition or dual boot.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
This user no longer exists RE: Secunia says Word 2007 is outdated, Microsoft says it's up to date
Member 20th Sep, 2010 10:26
Hi,

@Maurice
No, I did not. Thank you for pointing that out.

@secuniageorge
If the file is located on a non-primary drive, it is quite likely that it is an older backup version.
This can mean that, even though you have applied all patches for your actual Installation, this old version won't get updated, and will continously be shown as Insecure.

Do you have more than one instance of Microsoft Office installed?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
secuniageorge RE: Secunia says Word 2007 is outdated, Microsoft says it's up to date
Member 22nd Sep, 2010 00:46
Score: 2
User Since: 20th Sep 2010
Last edited on 22nd Sep, 2010 00:53
I've managed to sort out the problem.

To answer your one query, I have Windows installed on a 30GB Drive
"E:\windows" along with E:\Program Files etc.

One update for Word had not installed properly. Thinking back, my PC crashed while Windows Update was installing several patches. The MSWord update must not have installed properly although Windows update and even Belarc advisor did not pick up any missing patches.

Luckily I've a habit of copying the downloaded update files from the folder:
WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\
I found I had saved one folder from there with a file there called Word.cab

I extracted it, and ran word.msp which sorted out the problem. I could not see which update it was as I could not find a KB number in that folder.

I went to the update history on Windows Update. It was update KB2251419 which apparently replaces updates:
Security Updates for Microsoft Office Word 2007 (KB950113), (KB956358),(KB969604) & KB982135) .

I would not have had a secure MSWord application until Microsoft released another patch because they were not picking up on the fact that their last patch did not install properly.

Thanks for the input and help from everyone at Secunia for making me aware of the issue and allowing me to solve it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Secunia says Word 2007 is outdated, Microsoft says it's up to date
Handling Contributor 22nd Sep, 2010 01:01
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Pleased it is all sorted out for U.

If all your problems are now resolved could U please lock (Accept) the thread. This will prevent us both from receiving update emails from "tag on" posts.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.