Forum Thread: Updated google chrome 6.x but still shown insecure

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Google
And, this specific program:
Google Chrome 6.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
g3ntyuk Updated google chrome 6.x but still shown insecure
Member 20th Sep, 2010 15:48
Ranking: 2
User Since: 11th Jan, 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 20th Sep, 2010 15:50

I have updated an insecure program the version detected was

Google Chrome 6.0.472.5

i downloaded the new patch and checked my Google browser and it states the new version

Google Chrome 6.0.472.62

However secunia still flags up with this insecure program stating it still detects the old version. I have restarted my browser and my pc and re-scanned the whole lot and still it is still insecure.

The installation path for this insecure program is

C:\Users\Karl\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Applicat ion\6.0.472.55\chrome.dll

Any help?

This user no longer exists RE: Updated google chrome 6.x but still shown insecure
Member 20th Sep, 2010 15:51
Hi,

Google Chrome does not delete old versions of itself when updating. This means that, even though you have installed 6.0.472.62, the old (and insecure) version will not have been deleted.

You can check if this is the case by looking in both the Patched and Insecure tab. If there is an entry present in both tabs, you have an old version left over from the update of Google Chrome.

For instructions on how to remove the older versions, please see Google's own documentation at http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py...

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
g3ntyuk RE: Updated google chrome 6.x but still shown insecure
Member 20th Sep, 2010 16:06
Score: 2
User Since: 11th Jan 2008
System Score: N/A
OK thanks for that. I have googled the answer to remove the old version of Chrome that is left behind on the update and all sites state its ok to delete the old folder which i have done and is now no longer flagging up on Secunia.

Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.