Forum Thread: Uninstalling previous version(s) of PSI

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as resolved.
xjklt Uninstalling previous version(s) of PSI
Member 22nd Sep, 2010 10:39
Ranking: 4
User Since: 6th Mar, 2009
System Score: N/A
This is just a general comment about difficulties in uninstalling PSI so that a new version may be installed.

I have had the problem of trying to uninstall PSI 1.5.0.2 and its previous versions. When I attempt to install a new version my system asks me to close the running version. This I do. When I attempt to install the new version the PSI installer begins but then locks in a loop which asks me to uninstall the previous version.

When an uninstall is attempted using Control Panel the system informs me that I do not have sufficient rights although I am the administrator.

This then seems to be an insurmountable problem...................but it is NOT.

Download new version of PSI and save to an easy to find location.......say desktop.

Solution: Restart system in safe mode. Use control panel as before. Go to 'programs and features', find PSI in the program list, uninstall and then restart system in 'normal' mode.

This will then allow the installation of the new version of PSI.

This may only apply to some systems depending on operating system and configuration

Post "RE: Uninstalling previous version(s) of PSI" has been selected as an answer.
This user no longer exists RE: Uninstalling previous version(s) of PSI
Member 22nd Sep, 2010 10:57
Hi,

I have not been able to reproduce this issue. Were you trying to install the PSI 2.0 Beta? If so, the installer should offer to close down any currently running instance of the PSI, and should automatically launch the uninstaller for the old version during the installation.

During which step did you get the insufficient rights error message? And have you tried using the unistaller that comes with the PSI? This unistaller should be located at %ProgramFiles%\Secunia\PSI\Unistaller.exe

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.