Forum Thread: Extra inactive taskbar button

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as locked.
RangerFish Extra inactive taskbar button
Member 22nd Sep, 2010 23:46
Ranking: 0
User Since: 1st Jan, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 22nd Sep, 2010 23:46

Hi,

I'm seeing an issue where I have an extra taskbar button as if there was a window minimized - but it has no title, does not appear in Task Manager, and has the default application icon. I know it belongs to PSI for two reasons - in one case after a while it gained the PSI icon (though I can't reproduce that), and when I close the PSI (right click the tray icon > exit) this button disappears.

I had this with the latest official (non-beta) PSI, and updated to v2 beta to see if it fixed it - but it didn't. Now, I didn't always get this. It started after I installed the IE9 Beta. I also have Vista SP2 x86 with UAC switched on.

The other interesting thing is that the PSI is set to start on boot. When I close the PSI, then start it again from the start menu, I don't get this issue.

Any ideas?

This user no longer exists RE: Extra inactive taskbar button
Member 23rd Sep, 2010 10:09
Hi,

I can't immediatly explain this issue, but I will be looking into it.
Is the problem reproduceable after a full reboot?

If so, could I ask you to provide us with a debug log? To obtain such a log, first close the PSI by right-clicking (both) icons and selecting "Exit" (if possible).

Then, click the Start menu button, type "cmd" in the start menu search bar, and press enter. Then, enter these commands exactly in the command line window:
cd %ProgramFiles%\Secunia\PSI
psi.exe --verbose --debug secunia.txt

The PSI will now run in debug mode. Please try to reproduce the steps that lead to this issue with the PSI running in debug mode, and email us the secunia.txt file created at %ProgramFiles%\Secunia\PSI at support@secunia.com
Please note that it is very important that you do not post any parts of this log on the forum, as it contains information specific to you.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
RangerFish RE: Extra inactive taskbar button
Member 24th Sep, 2010 22:26
Score: 0
User Since: 1st Jan 2009
Last edited on 24th Sep, 2010 23:04
Hi Emil,

This is interesting. It's reproducible on every single boot. However, I couldn't repro it with your steps (I get a UAC prompt then the full UI). I thought it might be something to do with the way it's launched on boot (the --start-in-tray argument, and launched from the scheduler service), so I began looking into the logon task (which removes the logging parameters and resets the task command back to the default - I don't know if there is a way to stop that).

So I started to use the task scheduler UI to stop and start the task to try and repro it. When that didn't work, I started to think about what other apps I launch only at boot. One app in particular is called Soluto, which is designed to stagger the launch of startup apps. It shows a panel in the bottom left hand corner of the screen. I wondered if this was causing some kind of conflict, so I disabled it (right click the Soluto system tray app and untick the Live Boot Progress option).

After a reboot, PSI no longer displayed the extra taskbar button. This is odd, since I know it was PSI (not Soluto) since the window disappeared when I exited PSI, and on occasion it appeared with a PSI icon.

So for now, the workaround is to not use Soluto, or if you do use it, disable the boot progress UI. I wonder if other apps that do funky things with the UI (such as Rainmeter, for example) might cause something similar?

I'm going to try couple more reboots to see if the problem has actually disappeared.

Thanks

Edit: Ok, not entirely fixed since it's still happening on some boots - I think I'm on the right track though.

Is there a way I can stop the Scheduled task going back to the default command so I can log the task starting at boot? (that's when the issue happens, so it'd make sense to take the log from then) In the meantime I'll email my current log to the support guys.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Sep, 2010 11:14
Hi,

I've been looking through the debug log you send us, and from what I can tell, your PSI installation seems to be working as intended.

As you have already noted yourself, the issue seems to only occur in correlation with running the "Soluto" program, and, taking this program's purpose into consideration, it seems plausible that it's the behaviour of that program which is causing this issue.

Are you still unable to reproduce the issue without Soluto running? If that is the case, I will unfortunately have to leave this as a "wontfix" issue, since it is not the PSI causing the issue. But based on your description, it should be possible to use the PSI with no complications. Is that assumption correct?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Sep, 2010 14:02
Yes, as I stated that log doesn't demonstrate the issue as the method of reproducing the issue (using the Logon Task in the Windows task scheduler) will never produce a log (when I add --verbose --debug, they are removed as soon as the PSI starts).

Is there a way to prevent this? I think the PSI is trying to recreate the Logon Task on startup. I think you need to either add a parameter to stop this (let me know and I'll add it to my Logon Task, then we should have a log), or add an option in the UI to recreate it with --verbose --debug and a path to a log file.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Sep, 2010 14:09
Hi,

If you are letting the PSI start itself on boot, there is (currently) no way to run in debug mode. If, however, you are using the Third-Party tool to start the PSI, you can disable "Start on boot" on the settings tab, and specify the "--verbose --debug secunia.txt" options in that program.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Sep, 2010 14:34
I'm just letting PSI start itself on boot (which I guess is what --start-in-tray does). I could use some other method of starting the PSI, but I have UAC enabled and this would (I believe) cause a UAC prompt and the PSI to start in the foreground.

Would it be possible to add a way to start the PSI in the tray in debug mode? Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Sep, 2010 09:58
Last edited on 29th Sep, 2010 10:31 Hi,

Please be aware that the following instructions require administrative priviliges, and change settings on your system. Doing so can theoretically destabilize your system, and happens entirely on your own risk. Please also note that these instructions only apply to Vista and Windows 7.

To change the way the PSI runs on boot, open the Control Panel, locate the "System and Maintenance" icon, click "Administrative Tools", and then double-clicking "Task Scheduler".

Under "Active Tasks", double-click the entry for the Secunia PSI. On the "Actions" panel to the right, click "Properties", go to "Actions", select the Startup task, and select "Edit". The field "Add Arguments (Optional)" should read "--start-in-tray".

Change this value to "--start-in-tray --verbose --debug secunia.txt", and the PSI should start in debug mode on your next reboot.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Sep, 2010 11:24
Ok, tried that but when the PSI starts, the task scheduler entry is being reset to just psi.exe --start-in-tray (no --verbose --debug secunia.log)

This is leading me to the suspicion that the PSI is recreating the logon task when it starts, so any changes I make are being reversed.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.