Forum Thread: Uninstalling older versions of PSI

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as locked.
xjklt Uninstalling older versions of PSI
Member 30th Sep, 2010 11:21
Ranking: 4
User Since: 6th Mar, 2009
System Score: N/A
This is possibly an issue with my particular system but it happens on all PSI program updating.

When I am informed of a new PSI program I try to install the new version.

I download the installer from Secunia, today PSI v 1.9.0.4001. I save it to desktop.

I then run PSI2SetupBeta.exe.

First screen informs me that there is an older version of PSI running on system. I follow instruction of closing the program by exiting using the option in the icon tray. The running version closes.

The window then asks if I would like to uninstall the previous version by clicking 'next'. When I do this the window reverts to the previous state by asking if i would like to uninstall previous versions.

Thus there is a 'loop' which seems impossible to escape from.

My next step is to try to uninstall PSI using Control Panel, programs, selecting PSI from list and clicking uninstall. Unfortunately I then get a message that I have insufficient rights to do this.

My only option is to then restart system in safemode where I CAN uninstall PSI.

I then restart in normal mode and install the new version of PSI which loads and works perfectly.

This has happened with the first PSI 2 Beta as well.

It would seem that I am not receiving an uninstaller with my downloaded product BUT it may be something to do with my system setup.

Running Windows Vista Home Premium sp2 fully patched
all other programs all fully patched

A puzzle for Secunia Technicians

shaneturner1 RE: Uninstalling older versions of PSI
Member 30th Sep, 2010 11:40
Score: 0
User Since: 8th Mar 2010
Last edited on 30th Sep, 2010 11:40
Did you make sure you used admin mode (run as administrator) to install the new version? Vista is very tight on security.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Uninstalling older versions of PSI
Member 30th Sep, 2010 12:26
Hi,

I have not been able to reproduce this issue.

Do you have an uninstall.exe file located in the %ProgramFiles%\Secunia\PSI folder? If so, what are the results of running this executable?

If not, are you able to remove the old version of the Secunia PSI by using the typical approach of opening the Control Panel, selecting Add/Remove applications, and uninstaller the Secunia PSI from here?

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

xjklt

RE: Uninstalling older versions of PSI
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
xjklt RE: Uninstalling older versions of PSI
Member 30th Sep, 2010 13:51
Score: 4
User Since: 6th Mar 2009
Emil

Thanks for your reply.

As I have uninstalled all old versions of PSI I have no idea if there was an uninstaller present.

Have checked latest version ( downloaded and installed today) and there is an uninstaller in PSI folder.

I could not uninstall previous beta version using conventional means (control panel, progs and features, secunia uninstall) as this gave me message that I did not have sufficient rights although I am system administrator.

The previous version uninstalled in safe mode though.

The new beta version is working well and looks good.

Thanks

Was this reply relevant?
+2
snoopy78 RE: Uninstalling older versions of PSI
Member 4th Oct, 2010 08:44
Score: 5
User Since: 3rd Sep 2010
I had a similar problem with XP SP3. The program was running in the backgruond and the installer wanted to close the running instance, but it was not successfull and asked it again and again.
So I tried to close it by hand on clicking the close button, but this doesn't work. I had to minimize the program and after this I had to rightclick on the taskbar to manually exit the programm. After this, it worked well.
I think, the process tries the same, but the close routine isn't implemented as it normally should be.

Greetings, Markus
Was this reply relevant?
+1
xjklt RE: Uninstalling older versions of PSI
Member 4th Oct, 2010 13:05
Score: 4
User Since: 6th Mar 2009
Hi Markus

I am glad to hear at last that someone else had a similar problem with uninstalling PSI.

As all old versions of the program have been uninstalled I could not replicate the issue and thus could not give proper feedback to Secunia.

I have downloaded and am using the very latest version 1.9.0.4001 which is working well for me.

I have also checked the Secunia program file (start/computer/vista/program files/secunia) and notice that there is an uninstaller in the folder. If/when I update PSI it will be interesting to see if the uninstaller links into the update routine.

I have my suspicions that my problem was caused by not having this uninstaller on my system.

Best regards
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.