Forum Thread: Cannot patch Sun Java JRE 1.6.x/6.x

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Oracle Corporation
And, this specific program:
Oracle Java JRE 1.6.x / 6.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
delraybarb Cannot patch Sun Java JRE 1.6.x/6.x
Member 6th Oct, 2010 22:50
Ranking: 1
User Since: 3rd Oct, 2010
System Score: N/A
I just took Java JRE 1.6.x/6.x off my scan ignore list, and I'm unable to find a patch or update of any means of securing this. Maurice was so helpful in helping me with other programs, but I cannot even locate the file on this one. I had a similar problem with Adobe AIR, but finally uninstalled it, since Adobe will not deal with it shortly, anyway. I hope my other programs don't crash, since I didn't know what it did for me on the computer anyway! I use my Dell Laptop strictly for home use rather than work presentations, so I suspect it was just an unecessary program to clutter my computer.

Is Java JRE an important program? I have Vista Home Premium, Internet Explorer 8 , AVG anti virus. As soon as I click the blue arrow following a Secunia scan, My Internet Explorer closes down, due to Data Execution Prevention (DEP). I tried making an exeption for Secunia psi, but Windows refuses to allow Secunia to operate minus DEP! Java is current as far as updates, and I don't know where to go from here. Shall I just throw that program back into "ignore" again for scans? Perhaps AVG is enough security for me. I appreciate any advice or instructions, as long as they are easily understood by non-techies!

--
delraybuzz

Post "RE: Cannot patch Sun Java JRE 1.6.x/6.x" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: Cannot patch Sun Java JRE 1.6.x/6.x
Handling Contributor 6th Oct, 2010 22:55
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Barbara,
Windows will work without JAVA. That said, if PSI has found something amiss it will give U the path to the problem.

Just do this:

b]FINDING A FILE PATH

ALL PSI VERSIONS EXCEPT VERSION 2 (BETA)[/b]

To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, use or switch to the ADVANCED interface, then :

1 Click on the + sign of the programme to "expand' it.
2 Click on Technical Details in the Toolbox to see the installation path of the detected file. (Copy (CTRL+C) & paste (CTRL+V) the Installation Path of the file back to the Forum.

PSI VERSION 2 (BETA)

From the DASHBOARD page click on SCAN RESULTS.

1. This will list all your programmes with a + to the left of each one.
2. Click the + sign next to the item that U want help with.
3. This will reveal the path under DETECTED INSTANCES.
4. Highlight it then copy (CTRL+C) then paste (CTRL+V) that path back to the Forum.

Update 7 18:43 02/10/2010

Once I know thepath I will fix it for U.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
delraybarb RE: Cannot patch Sun Java JRE 1.6.x/6.x
Member 7th Oct, 2010 01:26
Score: 1
User Since: 3rd Oct 2010
I followed the path, Oracle downloaded the latest version of Java JRE V 6. 21, I uninstalled previous Java Programs (AGAIN), Secunia scanned Advanced and again had the wrong version and says uninstall! Been there , done that. Is there something wrong with the scan? My Control Panel shows I now have only the single Java program just installed through Secunia's links! I don't know what more I can do to secure my computer, as Secunia says I have Update 18, where I have 21! HELP, once more, Maurice!
I have certaily been discovering so much more about files and hidden things, but Secunia seems a bit off with the scan??? Maybe???

--
delraybuzz
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 7th Oct, 2010 01:39
Last edited on 7th Oct, 2010 01:56
Barbara,
It could be the offending programme is not on the C drive hence Java update cannot see it & it will not be in Control Panel>add/remove.

That is why I need to know the path that PSI is telling U there is a problem. Once I know the path I can fix it for U.

Edit: It is very late here in UK so off to bed. Take your time in finding the path but please do not ignore the issue.

I will take a look in the morning to see how U are getting on. There is no hurry.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 7th Oct, 2010 06:32
Last edited on 7th Oct, 2010 07:29
Technical details - Followed your instructions easily and explicitly!

Technical details about this installation of Sun Java JRE 1.6.x / 6.x, you can use this information to determine why the Secunia PSI detected the program and the security state of it.

Version Detected:

Installation Path:
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_18\bin\java.exe

Last Inspection of Program:
7th Oct. 2010, 6:13 CET

and I think I figured it out because the next scan showed only 1 other, pasted copy following:
(your instructions led me right to the C disk, and I understood your direction!)

Technical details

Technical details about this installation of Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 6.x, you can use this information to determine why the Secunia PSI detected the program and the security state of it.

Version Detected:

Installation Path:
E:\Windows\System32\msxml6.dll ( I scoured Disk E files and folders etc; nothing!)

Last Inspection of Program:
7th Oct. 2010, 6:13 CET

I went to Disk E in My Computer, located msxml6.dll - modified 1/19/2008-Application Extension-System 32(E:\Windows......However, Microsoft says I have all my updates, yet Secunia says I need updates. I found updates installed for MSXML 4.0 But nothing for 6.dll, and I'm afraid to mess with downloads I'm not sure about.

Again, thank you for being my mentor!

--
delraybuzz
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Cannot patch Sun Java JRE 1.6.x/6.x
Member 7th Oct, 2010 10:38
Last edited on 7th Oct, 2010 10:38 Hi,

If you are having problems with patching a Microsoft Application, not located on a backup drive (Your E:\ Drive could possible be such a drive), I suggest you try following this procedure:

1) Check Microsoft Update, install all critical patches
2) Reboot
3) Repeat step one, and if anything was installed at this step, repeat step 2.
4) Run a full rescan with the PSI.

If you follow this procedure, you will have installed all updates offered by Microsoft Update.

However, the issue with Java is a different one, and the installers for all versions of Java have a bad habit of occasionally leaving behind old, unpatched versions of itself, and letting the user clean those up manually.

These are the instructions from Oracle on how to remove Java:
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/uninstall_jav...

If you remove all old versions of Java, and install Java JRE 1.6.x/6.x, Update 20 (As of 07/10/10) or later, you will be up to date.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 7th Oct, 2010 10:42
Last edited on 7th Oct, 2010 11:52
Barbara,
What do U use your E drive for? Is it a back up drive? Is it a drive created by your PC maker that has a reinstallation copy of Windows?

If U are not sure go to Start>Computer> U will see all your drives in the RIGHT hand pane. Right click on E Drive>select PROPERTIES>it opens with the GENERAL tab>look at CAPACITY>U will see a pretty pie chart and something like 9.45GB which is the size of the drive. What size is that drive? What is the drive called? FACTORY IMAGE or something like that?

JAVA

Whatever U say U must still have a second version of this on your C drive.

Please recheck Control Panel>add/remove

Uninstall any programmes starting with JRE or JSE or JDK or JAVA (TM) except JAVA(TM) 6 update 21.

U should find an entry saying JAVA(TM) 6 Update 18 - that is the one that requires removal.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 7th Oct, 2010 19:17
Mr Petersen, I have already applied all available patches and updates, including MSXML 4, but MSXML 6.x is beyond my understanding, and Microsoft warns me to not mess with this type of setting! So I put the warning on IGNORE for Secunia Scans. Secunia now says I have no insecure programs.

Java is completely gone except for the version 21 I downloaded yesterday. I removed every version from every file and ADD/REMOVE in my Control Panel. My biggest problem is not being able to do it directly from Secunia's link, since my Vista and Internet Explorer 8 will not allow me to make an exception for Secunia in their Data Execution Prevention settings! I am the Administrator, but IE8 seems to be the boss! I know I should change browsers, but I am most comfortable with the Internet Explorer format! I have tried Firefox and Chrome, but Can't adjust well.

Maurice, Disk E is called RECOVERY. Capacity is 9.99 GB with free space of 4.54GB. As long as it's on my desktop, I might as well perform a disk cleanup again. I have learned little from all the tabs, so I defer to your knowledge once more!

--
delraybuzz
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Oct, 2010 19:24
By the way , Maurice, with your help, I did find and uninstall that JRE 6 update 18. I did while you were sleeping!

--
delraybuzz
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 7th Oct, 2010 19:26
Last edited on 7th Oct, 2010 19:29
Barbara
U should not tinker or try to alter anything on that drive. It is harmless. This is what to do:

CREATING A GLOBAL IGNORE RULE - ALL PSI VERSIONS EXCEPT VERSION 2 (BETA)

1.Click on the SETTINGS tab>scroll to the bottom & click on CREATE IGNORE RULE

2.In the RULE NAME BOX insert the Drive detail - My Backup Drive for example.

3.In the RULE BOX type E:\

4.Click SAVE IGNORE RULE>CLOSE

5.Carry out a full PSI rescan & all should be in order.

All hard drives will continue to be scanned by default but the result from the drives ignored will not be published.

Now U have completed a full rescan what problems are left? U should REMOVE all ignore rules except for the one U have just created for the E drive to give me the answer.

Update 5 16:45 02/09/2010

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 7th Oct, 2010 19:36
Yes indeed, I now have NO insecure programs, after using the IGNORE rul for MSXML 6.x. Clean bill of health and thank you again, Maurice!

--
delraybuzz
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.