Forum Thread: Problems checking whether my version needs updating

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as locked.
PazivalRM Problems checking whether my version needs updating
Member 22nd Oct, 2010 08:29
Ranking: 1
User Since: 7th Jul, 2009
System Score: N/A
What a difficult and confusing business it is to work out whether a newer version of Secnuia PSI 2.0 Beta has been published!

1. Locate the green Secunia icon in the System Tray - it is nearly invisible.

2. Right-click the icon, then left-click "About", then try to remember that the version I have is 1.9.0.4001.

3. Open the Secunia webpage, look around in vain, click "Products", then click "Consumer Products Secunia PSI". Then click "Try the Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta, and find that it only downloads the setup file, and that the setup file doesn't have the version in its filename. Oh, and completely miss the fact that it says "2.0", because I have only remembered ".4001" and not "1.9.0.4001". Nothing achieved - start again.

3. Right-click the Secunia system tray icon again, then left-click "Open Secunia PSI".

4. Search around clicking various things on the dashboard, and finally click "Learn More", and then click "Support / Forum", and then click "Visit the Community Forum".

5. Look at the pinned top entry saying PSI 2.0 BETA, and now click the "About on the System Tray icon again to refresh the memory of "1.9.0.4001". This looks good - there must be a newer version.

6. Open the pinned entry, which announces:
"Secunia PSI 2.0 beta version 1.9.0.4"
This is a contradiction! How can PSI 2.0 have a version number 1.9.0.4?

7. My version is 1.9.0.4001. Is this an earlier, or a later, version than 1.9.0.4? Confusion! I end up doing nothing.

CONCLUSIONS:
* Can we have a clean "Check for updates" on the System Tray icon?
* Can the green System Tray Icon be changed from invisible back to visible again?
* Can the version number be placed within the setup filename?
* Can the version naming confusion be sorted out.

By the way, the programme is marvellous and extremely helpful.

This user no longer exists RE: Problems checking whether my version needs updating
Secunia Official 22nd Oct, 2010 10:19
Last edited on 22nd Oct, 2010 10:20 Thank you for your feedback.

* Can we have a clean "Check for updates" on the System Tray icon?
The PSI Beta will automatically prompt you with an update if one is available.

* Can the green System Tray Icon be changed from invisible back to visible again?
The green and yellow icon can indeed be very hard to see depending on the layout. We have informed our developers about this issue.

* Can the version number be placed within the setup filename?
I will make sure this suggestion reaches our developers

* Can the version naming confusion be sorted out.
I will also suggest a more logical version system to our developers.

PazivalRM RE: Problems checking whether my version needs updating
Member 23rd Oct, 2010 00:43
Score: 1
User Since: 7th Jul 2009
System Score: N/A
Thank you very much for such a clear and straightforward answer. Three points about the automatic prompt for the PSI Beta:

* I can't find anything in the manual about PSI Beta automatically prompting me about updates. This is probably because updating PSI Beta is understood to be part of the general updating procedures, but this should be mentioned under "Download and Installation".

* Also, I have automatic updates turned off, so the programme will probably not prompt me.

* Notwithstanding the above remarks, as a general principle, it should be extremely straightforward to check whether or not one's version of any installed software is the most recent.
Was this reply relevant?
+92
This user no longer exists RE: Problems checking whether my version needs updating
Secunia Official 26th Oct, 2010 13:39
Last edited on 26th Oct, 2010 13:42 I can't find anything in the manual about PSI Beta automatically prompting me about updates. This is probably because updating PSI Beta is understood to be part of the general updating procedures, but this should be mentioned under "Download and Installation".

With Auto-Update enabled and with prompt before installing, the user will have to click "Approve" update before the patch is downloaded and installed.
This is done instead of the "Download Solution"/"install" link that is normally present when Auto-Update is disabled.

We will go through the PSI manual just before we release the final version of PSI 2.0

This thread has been marked as locked.