Forum Thread: PSI crashed and cannot reinstall

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as resolved.
davidb009 PSI crashed and cannot reinstall
Member 3rd Nov, 2010 20:02
Ranking: 6
User Since: 11th Feb, 2010
System Score: N/A
PSI crashed this evening (UK time). I have uninstalled, but cannot download the exe program to reinstall either the current version or the Beta from any website I have tried, including Secunia.

It did strike me that black hats might be trying to disable PSI completely, but perhaps I am being paranoid!

Any thoughts?

--
davidb009

Post "RE: PSI crashed and cannot reinstall" has been selected as an answer.
joe schmoe RE: PSI crashed and cannot reinstall
Member 3rd Nov, 2010 20:32
Score: 41
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
Last edited on 3rd Nov, 2010 20:34
davidb009,

Check the next older threads after yours was posted. Unclear what type of crash you had, perhaps more detail would be helpful, such as specific error messages when the crash occurred.

The messages I am referring to all have to do with PSI version 2.0 beta, and refer to a 'null' object found in scanning.

Is that what you are referring to?

It would also be helpful if the OS version is posted as well, and any anti-malware services and products you may have running on your system that may cause conflict with downloading a fresh copy of PSI 2.0 beta. For example, which of them are running in a real-time scanning mode? (If any).

What browser do you use? PSI 2.0 beta is set to use IE for scanning, etc., so any changes to the settings in Tools\Internet Options\Security or Tools\Internet Options\Advanced in IE could cause PSI to not run properly. If you do reset either I suggest using the default settings recommended by Microsoft; Custom for the former and Reset for the latter. (First and second, respectively).

If you use another browser, does that one work for downloading? BTW, I do not think Secunia recommends downloading a fresh copy of their PSI anywhere else but here, as other copies are probably not current, and probably not maintained by Secunia elsewhere.

Take care,

joe schmoe

--
XP Pro SP3 P4 3.2 HT 2 GB RAM Avast! 9.0.2018 AIS
Win 7 Home Pro SP1 Pentium D 2.8 3 GB RAM Avast 9.0.2018 AIS
Secunia PSI 2.0.0.3003 XP Pro 32-bit & Win 7 H Pro 64-bit
Was this reply relevant?
+1
This user no longer exists RE: PSI crashed and cannot reinstall
Secunia Official 3rd Nov, 2010 20:34
Hi

We had some technical difficulties this evening that caused the PSI to be unable to complete a scan.

The issue should have been fixed, sorry for the inconvenience.
davidb009 RE: PSI crashed and cannot reinstall
Member 4th Nov, 2010 16:54
Score: 6
User Since: 11th Feb 2010
Yes to Joe Shmoe, there was a reference to a null object in scanning.

I have tried to download both versions of PSI from the Secunia site yesterday and today, but again no response when I attempt download.

I use Firefox almost exclusively and have had no problems with downloads from Secunia before. I am using XP on this machine.

--
davidb009
Was this reply relevant?
+0
davidb009 RE: PSI crashed and cannot reinstall
Member 4th Nov, 2010 18:00
Score: 6
User Since: 11th Feb 2010
Having been given vital clue regarding preference for IE, been able to reinstall Beta version by that route. Scan performed and OK, showing 100%.

Obstinate refusal to download install program via Firefox remains a mystery (but NB using FF4 Beta 6, this may be relevant).

Close thread?

--
davidb009
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.