Forum Thread: Will Adobe Reader 10 get AU?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Reader X 10.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
lvdaston Will Adobe Reader 10 get AU?
Member 23rd Nov, 2010 21:49
Ranking: 1
User Since: 3rd Aug, 2010
System Score: N/A
I just noticed that Adobe Reader 10 has no Auto-Update option. Will it get one in the future or is this permament?

Post "RE: Will Adobe Reader 10 get AU?" has been selected as an answer.
Midnight_Voice RE: Will Adobe Reader 10 get AU?
Member 23rd Nov, 2010 22:53
Score: 50
User Since: 1st Oct 2010
Last edited on 23rd Nov, 2010 22:58
on 23rd Nov, 2010 21:49, lvdaston wrote:
I just noticed that Adobe Reader 10 has no Auto-Update option. Will it get one in the future or is this permanent?

I didn't even know there was a 10 till I read this. We were both talking about the latest upgrade to 9 only a few hours ago.

But FileHippo has just offered it to me, and I've installed it now. PSI detects it, seems to know it's up to date (!) but as you say, does not show AU next to that.

It may well have caught Secunia on the hop, though, before they have checked that PSI can autoupdate it.

Unless 10 is very different from 9, however, I'd expect it to be added to the roster very soon.

--
A computer program can do pretty much anything the user doesn't know is impossible for it to do.

XP Home 32-bit - Compaq Presario V2000 Celeron 1.4GHz
Vista Ultimate 32-bit - Toshiba Equium A100 Centrino Duo 1.7GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - Dell Studio XPS 1645 Core i7-720 Quad 1.6-2.4GHz
(Also running XP Pro in Windows XP Mode 32-bit)
Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit - Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 Core i5 2.6Ghz
Was this reply relevant?
+0
fgoodloe RE: Will Adobe Reader 10 get AU?
Member 27th Nov, 2010 15:33
Score: 0
User Since: 29th May 2010
My Adobe Reader X (10) is updating automatically. I went to the Adobe website to install it. However, Adobe Reader 9.x is still showing on PSI as a category 5 security threat. My programs list on the control panel does not show Reader 9 still on the machine.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Midnight_Voice RE: Will Adobe Reader 10 get AU?
Member 27th Nov, 2010 17:34
Score: 50
User Since: 1st Oct 2010
on 27th Nov, 2010 15:33, fgoodloe wrote:
My Adobe Reader X (10) is updating automatically. I went to the Adobe website to install it. However, Adobe Reader 9.x is still showing on PSI as a category 5 security threat. My programs list on the control panel does not show Reader 9 still on the machine.

I'm not sure how you can know that Acrobat X is updating automatically; you fetched it from the Adobe website.

Maybe Acrobat 9 told you that there was an X to get? But that's not the same as PSI telling you, or fetching it for you.

Does your Acrobat X have an (AU) in the 'Install Solution' column in the Scan view? If not, you are in the same boat as us, in terms of what is being discussed here.

But my Acrobat X has never updated, certainly not via PSI, and not even manually; it appears to be the version I initially downloaded, still unchanged from that date a few days ago.

And PSI would anyway only flag it and/or offer to update it if there was a known vuln in the earlier version fixed by a later one; PSI isn't an update detector per se (and not even a vuln detector per se, it seems), but rather it's a vuln patchability detector - there needs to be a vuln in the version you've got and a new version without the vuln before PSI will flag it up (on the Scan view, at least).

Re Reader 9 still showing up as a threat, both the machines here had the latest Reader 9, which dealt with that threat, loaded on them before I went looking for X; so I haven't quite reproduced your situation.

However, Reader 9 is completely gone from both machines - and gone from any Windows Explorer search, not just from Add/Remove Programs.

FWIW, though, PSI does not distinguish between software installed on your machine (which Add/Remove Programs should find) and software merely present on your machine. I've seen PSI 1.5 caught out by (or should that be catching out?) both Chrome and Flash on this count.

PSI 2.0 is supposed to be better at this, assuming that the latest version you have of a piece of software is the installed one; but it isn't foolproof, and perhaps it shouldn't be.

Re your Reader 9 report, double-click on the line where it appears, right-click the entry in Detected Installations, and then click on the Open Folder option.

This will show you where exactly on your machine the software resides that PSI is warning you about.

See what it is and where it is, and whether it is a leftover from the Reader 9 uninstall that Reader X should have done, or something else.

And let us know, and we can go from there.

--
A computer program can do pretty much anything the user doesn't know is impossible for it to do.

XP Home 32-bit - Compaq Presario V2000 Celeron 1.4GHz
Vista Ultimate 32-bit - Toshiba Equium A100 Centrino Duo 1.7GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - Dell Studio XPS 1645 Core i7-720 Quad 1.6-2.4GHz
(Also running XP Pro in Windows XP Mode 32-bit)
Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit - Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 Core i5 2.6Ghz
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Will Adobe Reader 10 get AU?
Member 29th Nov, 2010 09:00
Hi,

The reason there is currently no Auto-Update for Adobe Reader X 10.x is , because so far, no patches has been released for this product. Typically, Adobe programs are updated with 'msp' packages, and until one has been issued, we cannot perform any tests.

As soon as an update is issued for this product, we will investigate the possibility of silently updating Adobe Reader X 10.x

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.