Forum Thread: Updates

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Oracle Corporation
And, this specific program:
Oracle Java JRE 1.5.x / 5.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Adagio Updates
Member 26th Nov, 2008 04:13
Ranking: 0
User Since: 26th Nov, 2008
System Score: N/A
I cannot find an appropriate download to update Sun Java JRE 1.5x/5x nor where I will download them to. Any help would be appreciated.

hueyjie RE: Updates
Member 26th Nov, 2008 05:27
Score: 0
User Since: 31st Oct 2008
i can't find it too.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
rustyrusty RE: Updates
Member 26th Nov, 2008 05:43
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
Last edited on 26th Nov, 2008 05:44
Having the same problem with Java Update. Please advise.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
morgkana RE: Updates
Member 26th Nov, 2008 08:53
Last edited on 26th Nov, 2008 09:06
Have the same problem. Downloaded latest ver on java.com but this one keep popping up. Maybe we just shall uninstall it? Hey just checked, I don't have this program installed. Must be a bug.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Updates
Secunia Official 26th Nov, 2008 10:33
Even though a program does not show up in Add/Remove Programs it can still be installed. Anything detected by the PSI can be found in a few simple steps using the advanced interface:

* Click on the entry of the program to "expand" it.
* Click on Technical details to see the installation path of the detected file.
* Remember the installation path and close down the menu.
* Click Open Folder and locate the detected file.

Sometimes Java is included in third party program installations and not installed as a standalone program. Normally, this can be determined based on the installation path.

Please also see this threat regarding Java:
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/632...

The latest version of Java can be downloaded from www.java.com.
rlegan RE: Updates
Member 26th Nov, 2008 15:28
I have Java(TM) Platform, Standard Edition
Runtime Environment
Version 6

up to date. Java update checker tells me that I have it up to date.

Can I just remove Version 5? Am I really exposed with Version 5 or is Version 6 really the update for Version 5?

Can I remove Version 5 without harming Version 6?

Randy
Was this reply relevant?
+0
pfurrie RE: Updates
Member 26th Nov, 2008 16:15
on 26th Nov, 2008 10:33, wrote:
Even though a program does not show up in Add/Remove Programs it can still be installed. Anything detected by the PSI can be found in a few simple steps using the advanced interface:

* Click on the entry of the program to "expand" it.
* Click on Technical details to see the installation path of the detected file.
* Remember the installation path and close down the menu.
* Click Open Folder and locate the detected file.

Sometimes Java is included in third party program installations and not installed as a standalone program. Normally, this can be determined based on the installation path.

Please also see this threat regarding Java:
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/632...

The latest version of Java can be downloaded from www.java.com.

In my case, I have Java installed stand-alone, version 6 update 10 (latest), but have another program which came with JRE on its own, apparently an older version. Howevver, I tried the Easy-to-Patch feature (I'm guessing that is what happens when I click on the button in the "Solution" column), but that just takes me to the Java website. At that point, it isn't easy to figure out what I need to download and where that download might be (amongst the different items they have listed). Further, if I download the file and install it generically, this is just going to install over my existing stand-alone version of the Java software, and won't mess with the actual offending version elsewhere on my computer. (For the record, the offending version on my system comes with the latest download of Logitech's Harmony universal remote control software).

Thoughts?

Pat
Was this reply relevant?
+0
debeul RE: Updates
Member 26th Nov, 2008 16:58
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 26th Nov, 2008 16:59
on 26th Nov, 2008 16:15, pfurrie wrote:
the offending version on my system comes with the latest download of Logitech's Harmony universal remote control software

I had the same 'problem'. Logitech is clearly the one to blame: even in their most recent software they are using a prehistoric Java version.

Because you don't need this software very often once you're done, I just removed it from my computer.
Manual replacement is not recommended. Complaining to Logitech might be a good idea.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Nov, 2008 17:10
Last edited on 26th Nov, 2008 17:13
on 26th Nov, 2008 15:28, rlegan wrote:
Can I just remove Version 5?

Yes, most likely.
Am I really exposed with Version 5 or is Version 6 really the update for Version 5?

Yes, more or less. Version 5 is really old and (I suppose) no longer supported. Comparable to Word 97 versus 2003.
Can I remove Version 5 without harming Version 6?

Yes, no problem.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
9291155 RE: Updates
Member 26th Nov, 2008 18:09
I just downloaded the latest JRE 6
I see that I have JRE 1.5.0_06 & 10
and JRE 1.6.0_01,02,03,05,07 loaded.
Can I remove all of these?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
fisker RE: Updates
Member 26th Nov, 2008 18:19
Last edited on 26th Nov, 2008 18:20
According to the latest scan I have insecure versions of Java JRE (1.6x /6.x) in four places on my PC:

c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash CS3\JVM\bin\java.exe
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS3\Server\jre\bin\java.exe
c:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\java.exe
c:\WINDOWS\system32\java.exe

Downloading the latest version does not touch any of these places. They do NOT appear in add/remove programs. Can I just delete them? Will that impact the programs that installed them? Trying to get anything out of Adobe is an exercise if futility.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Nov, 2008 18:58
on 26th Nov, 2008 18:09, 9291155 wrote:
I just downloaded the latest JRE 6
I see that I have JRE 1.5.0_06 & 10and JRE 1.6.0_01,02,03,05,07 loaded.
Can I remove all of these?

Yes.
(There might be some programs depending on the 5 edition, but it's very unlikely.)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Nov, 2008 19:22
Last edited on 26th Nov, 2008 19:23
on 26th Nov, 2008 18:19, fisker wrote:
According to the latest scan I have insecure versions of Java JRE (1.6x /6.x) in four places on my PC:

c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash CS3\JVM\bin\java.exe
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS3\Server\jre\bin\java.exe
c:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\java.exe
c:\WINDOWS\system32\java.exe

Downloading the latest version does not touch any of these places. They do NOT appear in add/remove programs. Can I just delete them? Will that impact the programs that installed them? Trying to get anything out of Adobe is an exercise if futility.

Are you sure jre1.6.0_05 does not appear in add/remove programs?

Most likely it's okay to delete them, but as with all system modifications there might be unexpected side effects. *I* do remove them, no problems so far. By the way: it's always wise to make an image of your system partition before tinkering.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Nov, 2008 20:30
I "solved" this problem by going to my "C:\Program Files\Java" folder and copying the "jre6" folder, and pasted it in my "C:\Program Files\Logitech Harmony Remote Software 7" folder. I deleted the "jre" folder from the Logitech folder, then renamed the "jre6" folder "jre" (in essence replacing the old "jre" folder with the newer version.

When I set Secunia to Advanced, it also pointed out another copy of the older Java under another program folder. I replaced the "jre" folder in that instance as well.

Both programs start up, though I don't have any proof that they'll work error-free... and this isn't the preferred update method, but I don't know of a better one. Secunia does point out the older versions of software, though in at least this case, it isn't clear how to remedy the situation.

Pat
Was this reply relevant?
+0
rustyrusty RE: Updates
Member 26th Nov, 2008 23:28
Wow! Such an abundance of responses which makes choosing a solution that more difficult. Since I am not expert enough to discern which solution to try, I will leave things be and hope that there will not be a problem. My experience has been when I start changing things around, I end up messing something else up. So forgive me if I take this approach, but I have had the Logitech Remote for almost a year and have not had any adverse problems to date. Maybe I have been lucky. Will continue to monitor this thread to see if a solution comes along that will match my level of computer expertise. Thanks for all replies.

rustyrusty
Was this reply relevant?
+0
tregl RE: Updates
Member 1st Dec, 2008 20:18
User Since: 31st Oct 2008
on 26th Nov, 2008 04:13, Adagio wrote:
I cannot find an appropriate download to update Sun Java JRE 1.5x/5x nor where I will download them to. Any help would be appreciated.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
sveiha5 RE: Updates
Member 1st Dec, 2008 21:54
User Since: 27th Nov 2008

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Zingida232 RE: Updates
Member 1st Dec, 2008 23:46
User Since: 1st Dec 2008
Go to your uninstall programs and uninstall it and then go to www.java.com and reinstall it. Sometimes you have to get rid of the program that is causing problems and reinstall it again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
nospmas1939 RE: Updates
Member 2nd Dec, 2008 02:06
User Since: 15th Nov 2008
I have a similar problem in that the <Patched> tab of PSI v1.0.0.1 is showing numerous program duplicates, yet in Windows XP Pro <Add/Remove Programs>, there is only one incidence of each.

The duplicates (and identical versions) shown are: ImgBurn 2.x, Microsoft Silverlight 2.x, Nero Wave Editor 2.x, OpenAL Installer 2.x, Sun Java JRE 1.6.x/6.x.

What does one do????

Cheers.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Dec, 2008 02:20
on 1st Dec, 2008 23:46, Zingida232 wrote:
Go to your uninstall programs and uninstall it and then go to www.java.com and reinstall it. Sometimes you have to get rid of the program that is causing problems and reinstall it again.

That would be true for the regularly installed Java, but won't do anything for any instances of the Java Runtime Executable (JRE) which may have been installed as part of some other program, and is installed in the program folder for that other program. Those will stay, with the older versions they contain.

Since doing my update of the Logitech Harmony software's JRE, I've had occasion to do a bunch of updating of my remote control, and never had a single issue with it. My suspicion (note that is suspicion, so please take it as such) is that the newer JRE's are backwards-compatible. As such, the new version should break any older software designed around the older JRE.

However, all of this posses an interesting problem for Secunia... how to point out that certain software is out-of-date, while providing some reasonable roadmap to effectively fixing the situation, particularly for the less advanced users.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Pat
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Dec, 2008 02:48
Thanks for that.......but how do you account for the duplicates which show the identical version number??? Do you think that I should uninstall the "duplicate" progs and then re-install them?

Up until now, I've never had any prog show me that I had/have a duplicate version of Sun Java - and about 1 year ago when I updated my Java, I found that I had 3 separate versions of it showing in my <Add/Remove Programs>. I got in touch with their Support team and they told me to go ahead and uninstall any previous versions of Java - each taking up more than 100 MB of HDD. I did it, and have done so ever since, with no consequences.

Cheers.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Zingida232 RE: Updates
Member 2nd Dec, 2008 10:44
User Since: 1st Dec 2008
I uninstalled java from my programs(all of them) and re-installed and now I am threat free and showing 100% in my Secunia scan. It worked for me. I went to www.java.com and re-installed and I also patched my Adobe and had no problems.
Good luck!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Dec, 2008 10:51
Thanks to all.

I'll be out of town for 3 weeks, but when I return, I'll be following your advice and will post my reply.

May you all have a wonderful Holiday Season!!!!!

Sam,
Australia.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Erik14 RE: Updates
Member 2nd Dec, 2008 16:42
User Since: 2nd Dec 2008

Was this reply relevant?
+0
ptfitzy RE: Updates
Member 3rd Dec, 2008 16:22
It asks me for a disc.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
rervin55 RE: Updates
Member 6th Dec, 2008 03:03
User Since: 9th Nov 2008
Emil:

This is another attempt to get this Java problem ironed out. I have communicated with you about this directly and got the answer above, which didn't help. I completely uninstalled Java from my machine and then went into the directory tree and removed the Java folder and all subfolders. The Java problems still detected are both files in the i386 folder. I have no idea what this folder is for so I hesitate to delete them. As I said, I completely uninstalled JRE 1.6 and that removed the problems with that version but this 1.5x/5.x version problem still exists in the i386 folder along with a Java Web Start problem in the same folder referencing the Javaws.exe file. I am getting very frustrated with this problem and not getting anywhere communicating with you so far, or looking into the forums for that matter. In looking at the forum postings I see that a lot of people are having the same frustration as me. I downloaded Secunia on the recommendation of Gizmo Richards, who usually is very reliable. I was worried about insecure programs on this machine, but the reports from Secunia have caused me more stress than the actual alleged problems.

As a sidebar, SEcunia also found security threats(catagory 4)in Microsoft Exel 2003 and PowerPoint Viewer 2003. I followed the link to download the patch and in both cases upon installing the updates no program was found that applied to the updates. Is Secunia finding problems where no problems exist?

Please someone help me figure this stuff out!!!!!!!!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
kendricksee RE: Updates
Member 11th Dec, 2008 00:58
User Since: 13th May 2008
The \i386 folder contains the Windows install files for the OS. When it asks you to insert your CD for Windows files because something changed or a program requires a Windows file you can browse to that directory.

You can add an exclusion to the scan by going to the settings tab and create an Ignore Rule

Rule Name: Windows i386
Rule: c:\i368\

PS. The message about deleting the \jre folder and copying the folder C:\Program Files\Java\jre6 to
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Logitech Harmony Remote Software 7\jre
does work because Java is backwards compatible.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Slinky RE: Updates
Member 11th Dec, 2008 01:32
User Since: 17th Feb 2008
Last edited on 11th Dec, 2008 01:33
There is a new Java update (11) available. Either before or after installing you will need to remove all of the other Java updates. This should clear up your notifications. As to the MS Word issues, these seem to have been addressed and fixed. Try a manual scan if you have already downloaded the recommended update they should show clean.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Korax RE: Updates
Member 11th Dec, 2008 01:44
User Since: 10th Dec 2008
http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_xpi.jsp?lo...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Korax RE: Updates
Member 11th Dec, 2008 01:45
User Since: 10th Dec 2008

http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_xpi.jsp?lo...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
margit linnell RE: Updates
Member 27th Mar, 2009 16:29
User Since: 3rd Mar 2009

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Mar, 2009 16:30

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Mar, 2009 16:36

Was this reply relevant?
+0
0803gbv RE: Updates
Member 27th Mar, 2009 18:05
User Since: 2nd Feb 2009

Was this reply relevant?
+0
qvistjensen RE: Updates
Member 27th Mar, 2009 21:27
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009

--
qvistjensen72
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Ejvind Jeppe RE: Updates
Member 28th Mar, 2009 11:59
User Since: 23rd Mar 2009

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Kuddi RE: Updates
Member 28th Mar, 2009 12:27
User Since: 11th Feb 2009

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Mar, 2009 12:27

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Mar, 2009 13:15

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Tonygch96 RE: Updates
Member 28th Mar, 2009 13:57
User Since: 5th Jan 2009

Just deleted all my Java scripts - rebooted then went to JAva.co and downloaded Java 6 free.

Problem solved.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
MDRogers RE: Updates
Member 2nd Apr, 2009 14:39
User Since: 28th Mar 2009
Same thing here ! Nothing updates it, and it's still on !! What to do with it ? Any information would be much appreciated.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
tommix RE: Updates
Member 2nd Apr, 2009 16:07

Was this reply relevant?
+0

Was this reply relevant?
+0

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Kurosh RE: Updates
Member 3rd Apr, 2009 05:43
Score: 3
User Since: 30th Mar 2009
on 2nd Apr, 2009 14:39, MDRogers wrote:
Same thing here ! Nothing updates it, and it's still on !! What to do with it ? Any information would be much appreciated.

If you follow the directions by E.Jeppesen posted near the top of this thread, you can tell us where it is installed. That will help to suggest what you may need to do.

Best Wishes,
Kurosh
Was this reply relevant?
+0
RE: Updates
Member 6th Apr, 2009 17:46
User Since: 27th Feb 2009

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.