Forum Thread: Unable to suggest a program

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI 2.0 Beta

This thread has been marked as locked.
Websafe Unable to suggest a program
Member 9th Dec, 2010 22:36
Ranking: 79
User Since: 24th May, 2009
System Score: N/A

Maurice Joyce RE: Unable to suggest a program
Handling Contributor 9th Dec, 2010 22:55
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 9th Dec, 2010 22:57
The first box PROGRAM requires U to click the BROWSE button on the right of the box & find the file via Windows Explorer which will appear on clicking Browse.

Are U saying this is not happening? Just tried it on my XP test PC & it appears to work OK.

EDIT: U cannot manually insert data in that box.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Websafe RE: Unable to suggest a program
Member 9th Dec, 2010 23:27
Score: 79
User Since: 24th May 2009
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 9th Dec, 2010 23:36
Very odd I agree. Perhaps the final release of this version will correct it for U.

Nice to hear U can at least use it.

If all your problems are now resolved could U please lock (Accept) the thread. This will prevent us both from receiving update emails from "tag on" posts.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 9th Dec, 2010 23:59
Hello Maurice Joyce,

Have tried a new download of the PSI beta (from the first thread in the forum).
Was surprised to see a new version of the PSI beta did download.
However with PSI 1.9.0.6001 the search button (to suggest a new program) is still invisible (but usable). Perhaps something for a later version to ad?

Websafe.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 10th Dec, 2010 00:17
Agreed. I am testing 1.9.0.6001 but cannot reproduce your problem.

Mine on both my XP & Windows 7 machines shows correctly.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Skeptia-9 RE: Unable to suggest a program
Member 10th Dec, 2010 00:37
Score: 42
User Since: 15th Mar 2010
Maurice and Websafe:

When I click "Are you missing a program?" I can verify in the resulting Suggest-a-File pop-up there is no short box visible to the right of the long box around the text "Specify the main .exe or .dll of the program" on my WinXPSP3 Home, 32-bit system. My monitor is an LCD panel with 17" diagonal and the display set to 1024 X 768.

Approximately the left 20% of the lower border of the long box appears double-struck. By that I mean twice as heavy as the remaining 80% of the lower border. When I click the area where the short box should be, I, too, have learned it is functional. I get a "Choose File to Upload" menu, and I can suggest a missing program. Prior to reading your posts, I did not know that.

Thank you for illuminating the nature of this bug in ver. 1.9.0.5004 Beta. I will try the new Beta.

Best regards,

Skeptia-9

WinXPSP3 Home, 32-bit
Secunia PSI ver. 1.9.0.5004 Beta
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Handling Contributor 10th Dec, 2010 01:31
@Skeptia_9

My XP setting is 1280x800 & all in order as previously stated.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 10th Dec, 2010 05:06
Maurice:

I have removed PSI 1.9.0.5004 Beta and installed the new Beta PSI 1.9.0.6001. The descriptive details of the anomaly located in my post above are reproduced exactly in 1.9.0.6001 Beta on my PC. There may be a gremlin in the code for the short box that's gone missing? But, if so, then why is your XP machine's display correct, whereas Websafe and I are puzzling over a functionally intact, borderless box?

Something I did fail to mention above: When I click on the vacant area to the right of the long box around the text "Specify the main .exe or .dll of the program," I see a partial outline of the short box flash very quickly before the "Choose File to Upload" menu appears. By partial outline I mean 3 sides consisting of what appear to be dotted lines forming the top, bottom, and right border of the short box. The left border of the short box is coincident with the right border of the long box. (And, No, I am not making this up; nor have I been drinking.)

My PC is a Methuselah, purchased new in 2005. I added memory, storage space, and replaced the graphics card last summer. The "new" graphics card is an ATI Radeon 9250. The drivers are out-of-date; however, I am reluctant to tinker with them without advice from someone knowledgeable, because I do not know what I am doing.

The desktop area of my display can be adjusted to 1280 X 720, 768, 960, or 1024. I cannot match your 1280 X 800. Due to very weak eyesight and trifocals, I need to keep the 1024 X 768 attributes. I have, however, fiddled with various adjustments, but none permit me to see that missing short box.

It would be useful for Secunia to know how many other PSI users running XP computers are affected by this anomaly. I don't think I can be of any further help because of my meager knowledge of how programming is constrained by both hardware and software graphics capabilities. It seems the devil is in the details.

Good luck with figuring out what's going on,

Skeptia-9

WinXPSP3 Home, 32-bit
PSI 1.9.0.6001 Beta
Was this reply relevant?
+1
This user no longer exists RE: Unable to suggest a program
Member 10th Dec, 2010 08:40
Hi,

@Skeptia-9
Have you tried adjusting your settings in Internet Explorer like describe in this item of our FAQ?
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Are you running the Internet Explorer 9.x Beta, or have you made any modifications to Internet Explorer or it's settings?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 10th Dec, 2010 11:29
Skeptia_9

If U want help with updating your graphics card create your own thread under OPEN DISCUSSIONS.

Fairly easy to do.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 10th Dec, 2010 20:05
Last edited on 10th Dec, 2010 20:09
Mr. Peterson and Maurice:

Thank you very much for responding to my observations about the functional, although invisible, box in the "Suggest a Program" popup, which is accessible by clicking on "Are you missing a program?" in the new PSI 1.9.0.6001 Beta.

Maurice, I shall start a new thread in Open Discussions regarding my out-of-date graphics drivers soon, and I appreciate your offer of assistance.

Mr. Peterson, my system is WinXP Home SP3, 32-bit, which is incompatible with IE9; therefore, no, I am not running an IE9 Beta.

I have carefully checked my IE ver. 8.0.6001.18702 configuration against the data in your link. Access to Secunia's servers (encrypted) via SSL, https://psi.secunia.com:443/ is required to use the PSI. I am having no difficulty using your servers; and, except for the display problem, the latest PSI Beta is functioning just fine, scanning nominally and providing accurate data, without any sign of other trouble, on my old PC.

Active scripting is Enabled. My trusted sites include:

http://*.secunia.com
https://*.secunia.com

I identified one discrepancy. There is a tick in the box beside "Check for server certificate revocation." in my settings. I removed the tick, restarted IE8, and even restarted my computer (to be sure the consequences of the tick were cleared from memory), and it did not remedy the display problem. I still could not see the short box at the right end of the first line in the "Suggest a Program" popup. As previously emphasized, I am having no trouble accessing your servers. Furthermore, I am afraid my knowledge of computer science is too defficient to understand how a "Check for server certificate revocation." could affect the specific display problem, which Websafe (post above) and I have reported.

If you have additional ideas regarding what I can change on my system, which might further define the display problem, please let me know, and I shall be happy to pursue them. Meanwhile, I am going to do some homework to determine if updating my graphic drivers is a good idea. If I try anything that remedies the PSI's display problem, I shall certainly post back and share the information.

Maurice, I am wondering about one other aspect of the subheading which has "Are you missing a program?" on the right and the "Search for programs and paths" box, followed by a smaller "Search" button on the left. On my system, the search box where data can be entered only accepts lower case letters. The search functionality seems to have a find-as-you-type attribute. The answer displays accurately without clicking the "Search" button, per se. Clicking on the "Search" button does nothing on my machine. Does this description fit what happens on your XP machine, too?

Thank you,

Skeptia-9
WinXP Home SP3, 32-bit
PSI 1.9.0.6001 Beta
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 10th Dec, 2010 21:26
Mine accepts CAPITALS but it does not work - just a blank screen however much U type.

The rest is as U describe on both XP & Windows 7.

Not used that tool before - looks about as useful as a Chocolate Fireguard!

It appears to have proved that it is not part of your issue.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 12th Dec, 2010 16:35
Hello, again, Maurice,

Your observations about the PSI's search functionality, I agree, do seem to indicate the display issue is limited to the "Are you missing a program?" end of the subheader. According to the PSI's changelog,

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Secunia published version 1.9.0.5 Beta on 09 Nov. I remember successfully submitting 2 or 3 missing programs from within the 1.9.0.4 Beta interface with no impediment to opening the "Choose file to upload" menu. So, the display problem began on my system with the installation of the 1.9.0.5 Beta; and it is reproduced in the latest Beta 1.9.0.6, too. By searching Forum posts, I can find only 2 reports of this issue since 09 Nov., a figure which suggests it is affecting very few beta-testing XP users.

I apologize for a red herring in my previous post. I've done my homework regarding the status of the drivers for my old/"new" ATI Radeon graphics card. The most up-to-date drivers available for it are, in fact, already installed. I have also checked the drivers for my flat-panel monitor at the OEM's website. They, too, are the most up-to-date available. If the display issue is a consequence of lacking the latest and greatest graphics hardware, then I am out of luck. Additional comments from me regarding display of the PSI Beta on older systems would be useless speculation, because I simply do not know and do not have the equipment to test.

I like your clever search-box fireplace simile. An IT professional in charge of the health of hundreds of machines in a corporate enterprise would most likely find uses for the PSI's (CSI's) search functionality before your fireguard reached its critical melting temperature. I have one, somewhat esoteric use for it, because I am a big user of Mozilla's products. It's a neat way to corral Firefox or SeaMonkey or Thunderbird extensions in one place with the detected version numbers prominently displayed. The capability of Firefox to update its own extensions could not be better; however, I get lazy about updating an extension I have installed in 2 and, in a few cases, all 3 products. The PSI's search function makes it much easier to keep updates to the duplicates and triplicates in sync. Being able to identify a "zombie" installation in the search results is also a bonus.

Although the cause of the display issue remains a mystery, my thanks to all, who have contributed information that defines the problem a little better than before.

Best regards to all,

Skeptia-9
WinXP Home SP3, 32-bit
PSI 1.9.0.6001 Beta
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Dec, 2010 10:41
Hi,

Please install the newest version of the PSI 2.0 Beta: http://secunia.com/PSI2SetupBeta.exe

If installing this version has now resolved the problem, I need you to provide us with a debug log. To obtain this log (on your XP system), please follow the below procedure. If you want to use your Win7 system instead, please replace %ProgramFiles% with %ProgramFiles(x86).

1) Press Start > Run, and enter 'cmd'
2) Copy these commands into the Commandline Window and press enter
cd "%ProgramFiles%\Secunia\PSI"
psi.exe --verbose --debug secunia.txt

The PSI will now run in debug mode. Please reproduce the problem, and send the secunia.txt file now created in %ProgramFiles%\Secunia\PSI to us at support@secunia.com

Furthermore, could I ask you to provide us with a screenshot of the problem occuring?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Dec, 2010 13:08
Last edited on 15th Dec, 2010 16:21
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 16th Dec, 2010 01:51
Websafe and Mr. Petersen:

Success! Congratulations on your very successful troubleshooting collaboration! The invisible box is now visible on my old PC, too! It's a cascading style sheet display issue caused, on my WinXP Home SP3, 32-bit system, by the installation of an MS Fixit at this location:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Fixit-[snip]\KB2458511.css

on 09 November. (I'm embarrassed, because I forgot what I had done and did not connect the display issue with the workaround I had applied a month ago.) The Microsoft installer for the Fixit tool I used was

MicrosoftFixit50556.msi

The applicable knowledge-base article, which described the vulnerability, was this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2458511 There were 4 subsequent revisions.

The problem was deemed critical and was rolled into a Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer, with the corresponding Security Bulletin found here

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin...

It was patched 14 December. The patch, however, did nothing to disable the Fixit I had installed.

Before I disabled the MS Fixit workaround, I took screenshots of the display issue for Mr. Petersen. I also ran PSI 1.9.0.6001 Beta in the debug mode to generate a log file, while I attempted to suggest a missing program. I verified that I could actually be successful at making a suggestion, although the box I clicked on was invisible, when the "Choose a file to upload" menu opened. I have zipped up the screenshots and the log file and have e-mailed them to Mr. Petersen at the Secunia Support address.

Mr. Petersen did not mention completely exiting from PSI 1.9.0.6001 Beta before starting it in the debug mode. This could be important; so, to make sure, I went to Configuration > Settings and removed the tick from the box beside "Start Secunia PSI on Boot." Then I rebooted my computer and proceeded with the command-line entries in his instructions to start the PSI in the debug mode as written.

Thank you very much for solving the mystery of the invisible box.

Best regards,

Skeptia-9
WinXP Home SP3, 32-bit
PSI 1.9.0.6001 Beta
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Dec, 2010 09:53
Hi,

Glad to hear it's working for everybody!! There is no real need for you to send me anything if the issue is fixed, though.

Since this now appears to have been solved, I am closing this thread. If anybody runs into a similar issue, or has any further comments, feedback or questions, please do not hesitate to create a new thread!
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.