Forum Thread: Firefox & Thunderbird false warnings

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
walkerpbus Firefox & Thunderbird false warnings
Member 11th Dec, 2010 23:10
Ranking: 0
User Since: 16th Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
Your processor initially said (previous thread) both Firefox 3.6.13 & Thunderbird 3.1.7 are insecure & it has 2 end-of-life complaints: (1, a FF add-on, other not relevant). There are no updates for either FF or TB (just updated them this week!), I checked for addons In both FF & TB: none in FF, 1 in TB, which was corrected. I had same problem before with 2 of these, FF 3.6.12 & add-ons. I never was notified then, no response from forum either. I don't know what to do. I have done an OSI check with the same installation, & it passed successfully---"Status / Currently Processing: Detection completed successfully" The same computer passed the OSI with no complaints from it. I uninstalled & reinstalled PSI & everything is perfect (no insecure), except with the newly installed module, I am having problems recovering the online (apparently) profile (though it knows I am in Texas, USA). Also where do I get some advice on using this forum---I have never received a notification that there was an answer in the forum? I just checked my stored email address in my profile, & it was correct, so why don 't I get any notifications? #1 in my priorities may be to trouble-shoot why paul_walker@sil.org is not getting notifications Another forum mystery is where my username is stored; it is not in my online profile! While I am grateful for the services of Secunia, I would like some help, please. I hope all these questions get answered.

--
Paul B Walker

Post "RE: Firefox & Thunderbird false warnings" has been selected as an answer.

shanne

I am a football fan and I like football jersey
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
This user no longer exists RE: Firefox & Thunderbird false warnings
Member 13th Dec, 2010 10:47
Hi,

on 11th Dec, 2010 23:10, walkerpbus wrote:
Your processor initially said (previous thread) both Firefox 3.6.13 & Thunderbird 3.1.7 are insecure & it has 2 end-of-life complaints: (1, a FF add-on, other not relevant). There are no updates for either FF or TB (just updated them this week!), I checked for addons In both FF & TB: none in FF, 1 in TB, which was corrected. I had same problem before with 2 of these, FF 3.6.12 & add-ons.

These 2 advisories detail the current latest patch versions of Mozilla Firefox 3.6.x, and Thunderbird 3.1.x.
http://secunia.com/advisories/42517/
http://secunia.com/advisories/42519/

As you can see, neither program is Insecure, or End-Of-Life.
If you have the latest versions installed (Mozilla Firefox 3.6.13 or higher, and Mozilla Thunderbird 3.1.7 or higher), you are up to date, and the PSI will not flag you as secure.

As for the plugins you mention, I would need the name of the individual plugins to determine their respective security status.

Are you using the Secure Browsing tab? This tab is only intended for Advanced users, and some on the information on this tab can appear misleading or confusing to new users.

If you do not know exactly what the Secure Browsing tab feature is supposed to do, I suggest you disable it from the settings tab (By removing the check at 'Enable "Secure Browsing" page').

on 11th Dec, 2010 23:10, walkerpbus wrote:

I have done an OSI check with the same installation, & it passed successfully---"Status / Currently Processing: Detection completed successfully" The same computer passed the OSI with no complaints from it. I uninstalled & reinstalled PSI & everything is perfect (no insecure), except with the newly installed module, I am having problems recovering the online (apparently) profile (though it knows I am in Texas, USA). Also where do I get some advice on using this forum---I have never received a notification that there was an answer in the forum? I just checked my stored email address in my profile, & it was correct, so why don 't I get any notifications? #1 in my priorities may be to trouble-shoot why paul_walker@sil.org is not getting notifications Another forum mystery is where my username is stored; it is not in my online profile! While I am grateful for the services of Secunia, I would like some help, please. I hope all these questions get answered.

The OSI scanner is must more limited in it's scope than the PSI, and detects a much smaller amount of programs.
immediately, though, neither the PSI or OSI have reason to flag your Firefox/Thunderbird as End-of-life or Patched.

Could you please clarify what you mean by 'the newly installed module'?

If you are not receiving your notification emails even after enabling them on the My Profile tab right here on the forum, I suggest you check for spam box for Secunia communications.

Your username, as tied to the PSI, can either be the same account as, or independent from, your regular forum address.

hope this helps, and hope it answers all your questions! Otherwise, please write me back and let me know, and I will attempt to elaborate.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
walkerpbus RE: Firefox & Thunderbird false warnings
Member 13th Dec, 2010 17:45
Score: 0
User Since: 16th Dec 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 13th Dec, 2010 17:57
I meant the uninstalled/reinstalled PSI which seemed to solve the problem after some false starts to retrieve the existing profile/login/user-name. I looked for the Secure Browsing Tab in FF, didn't find it. I did get notice of your reply, so that's now working as well. Although an uninstall/reinstall the same level of PSI solved the problem, there may have been something in the former profile/login/user-name (whatever you call it for PSI!) that set it awry, & caused inquiries (I think) from not only myself. Thank you for your support.

--
Paul B Walker
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.