Forum Thread: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003

This thread has been marked as locked.
Adrian B MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 26th Nov, 2008 22:55
Ranking: 1
User Since: 27th Jan, 2008
System Score: N/A
Secunia says C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\PPTVIEW.EXE is insecure. But when I download the linked "Security Update for Office 2003 KB949041", it says "There are no products affected by this package installed on this system."

Yes, I have read the "extra information" for this viewer - and it clearly doesn't apply.

Something is incorrect somewhere.

Any ideas?

Canard RE: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 29th Nov, 2008 04:19
Score: 0
User Since: 8th Jan 2008
I got the same message as you. Microsoft also recommends that the
software be patched through it's update service, yet, according to
Updated Service my system is fully patched. I know very little about
computers except more or less, how to point and click. The information
from Microsoft and the warning from Secunia does seem discrepant.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
lkyer RE: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 29th Nov, 2008 17:44
User Since: 28th Nov 2008
I am also getting this message on a fully patched Office 2000 installation. All previous Office 2000 patches have been applied. We are NOT getting this indication on another system with fully patched Office 2003.

I can only assume that for some reason PSI is misidentifying the version of the PowerPoint executable. This would result in a false report about the missing patch, yet the patch won't apply because it's actually the wrong code, of course.

I will send this to Secunia support.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
doctorplanet RE: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 30th Nov, 2008 09:00
User Since: 15th Mar 2008
I, too, have been getting the same message. I also attempted to download the patch directly from Microsoft and it is no better. I finally have been ignoring the warning which sort of defeats the whole point of having Secunia. I just downloaded the ver. 1.0 Secunia, so maybe they (Secunia or Microsoft)will have a solution soon.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
frasermoss RE: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 4th Dec, 2008 06:23
User Since: 4th Nov 2008
Nope you still get the alert and the patch from microsoft says that no products installed on the computer are affected by the patch. I have Office 2007 running, but it appears to have retained the 2003 ppt viewer. I suppose if went to the office installation there might be a way to custom uninstall the ppt 2003 viewer? It seems totally redundant if the computer is running a full patched PowerPoint 2007 anyway
Was this reply relevant?
+0
oscarp RE: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 4th Dec, 2008 22:04
User Since: 6th Nov 2008
I have even tried to uninstall it after the warning and have done so, but psi keeps coming up with the same warning after scanning. Microsoft gives me the same message as the previous posters. There are no traces of it anywhere on my system that I could find, but after subsequent scans, psi keeps repeating the same warning.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
KelpieDog RE: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 5th Dec, 2008 12:43
User Since: 14th Jun 2008
I had the same problem, but when I looked closely at the directory the powerpoint viewer was in, it was not the standard Office directory. I have a Dell, and the powerpoint viewer was in a subdirectory of Dell's MediaDirect system.

HTH
Was this reply relevant?
+0
tonybone RE: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 6th Dec, 2008 19:24
User Since: 6th Dec 2008
I have the same problem. Same file in two different pathes. I am going to try manually deleting one, then rescan and see what happens.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Agent_Smith RE: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 6th Dec, 2008 22:18
User Since: 6th Dec 2008
I had some problems with MS office and windows update, upgrading to Microsoft Update (yes there is a difference..) and applying the latest service pack for office solved the problem so I could install the missing patch and got me to 100%...

I still wonder why windows update didn't catch my office, but googling it indicated that windows update only does windows and microsoft update covers some more apps including office - rather confusing!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
karenolson_83@msn.com RE: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 13th Dec, 2008 00:07
User Since: 20th Nov 2008
Last edited on 13th Dec, 2008 00:08
How did you solve the problem with your Dell? I have exactly the same thing happen every time I scan.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jmeyers RE: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 13th Dec, 2008 00:45
Score: 1
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
I had the same symptoms which were resolved by going to Microsoft Office Update. For whatever reason it found updates for Word 2003 and Powerpoint Viewer that Microsoft Update did not.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
hpotash RE: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 13th Dec, 2008 14:35
User Since: 4th Dec 2008
Did you find the fix in 2003 or office 2007??
I have a HP DV 9500 lap top and run both 2003 and 2007 office.
Thank You.
Howard J. Potash
hpotash@msn.com
Was this reply relevant?
+0
KelpieDog RE: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 15th Dec, 2008 19:05
User Since: 14th Jun 2008
on 13th Dec, 2008 00:07, karenolson_83@msn.com wrote:
How did you solve the problem with your Dell? I have exactly the same thing happen every time I scan.

I figured the PPTVIEW.EXE was a stand-alone executable and so simply copied the updated file to the appropriate directory. It works so far.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
grouch2 RE: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 18th Dec, 2008 16:38
User Since: 17th Dec 2008
Last edited on 18th Dec, 2008 16:40
I'm seeing this, too. My problem is a bit different, as Office 2007 is fully patched. However, the PP viewer exists on the recovery drive that came with the computer. There's no way to access this drive to patch it.

Is there any way to tell Secunia to ignore this drive?

Edited: Just started using Secunia today. I found the rules section and have created a rule to ignore the recovery drive.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Patrick.B RE: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 17th Jan, 2009 22:49
User Since: 8th Dec 2008
On my Dell laptop with Vista Business, Secunia found that PowerPoint was out of date even though I do not have MS Office on my laptop. It was right!

I first looked in Programs and Features, but still found no Office and no Powerpoint Viewer to uninstall. I used Windows Update and found nothing to update. I tried the Download Solution link in PSI and the file I downloaded found nothing to update. Then I looked closer and saw that PSI had found PPTView.exe under C:\Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\Kernal\Office\PPTView\Offic e12

That lead me to open the MediaDirect program I had never opened and selected Updates. It downloaded 65 MB and updated. PSI no longer complained about the PPTView.exe!! I went back to MediaDirect and it found another 6 MB update which I installed.

Whew!

-- Patrick B

Was this reply relevant?
+0
jonrichco RE: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 13th May, 2009 01:05
User Since: 27th Nov 2008
Last edited on 13th May, 2009 01:09
I have the same problem on a Vista Business Dell. My Pptview.exe file was in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\"

I don't have MediaDirect installed. Downloading the patch from MS doesn't help as when you run it, it says that it is has already been applied. So I think there are two answers to some whose problems are not fixed by the above discussions.

1. If you are running Powerpoint 2003, you don't need Pptview.exe since the Powerpoint program has a built in viewer. So delete Pptview.exe to the trash bin, or rename it Pptview.old (which is what I did) and your problem will disappear. My Powerpoint works fine without it. If something malfunctions, restore the file.

2. If you are not running Powerpoint, you can try deleting the file and downloading the files you need for viewing Powerpoint 2007 files (and all versions since PP97) from:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?fa...

--
jonrichco
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 13th May, 2009 03:57
Score:
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
This might be interesting to all. But in my treks based on different forums in secunia and having done a Belarc scan and testing other up daters, running back and forth to Microsoft down loads. I can know say with complete confidence that there is such a rip with Microsoft trying to keep both Xp and Vista running and their Tech articles out for companies like Secunia to try and make a cross the board security adviser is really a feat. The problem really exists with Microsoft and what O/S you are using and third party installs(which Secunia offers a track and find). It depends on whether you use M/S office or Open and the like. But basically it is between XP and Vista. Luck to all

--
Windows 10 64bit

There is No magic bullet in computing; only work a rounds.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
g.perdicaro.cdb RE: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 14th May, 2009 10:26
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
I had the same problem, but i solved in few easy steps:
1. Download the patch "office2003-kb969615-fullfile-x86-xx-xx.exe"
2. In Command Prompt (Win+R - cmd) or PowerShell (Win+R - powershell) go to the folder where the patch is
3. Extract the content of the patch file, simply run "office2003-kb969615-fullfile-x86-xx-xx.exe /extract:.\temp\" to get the content in the "temp" subfolder
4. Copy the pptview.exe file over the unpatched in your program files folder
5. Rescan with PSI

I hope this works for you, here it solved the problem.

--
Giovanni Perdicaro
http://nessunluogo.net
Was this reply relevant?
+0
taylomiz RE: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 14th May, 2009 21:48
User Since: 14th May 2009
Thank you Giovanni!

Your solution worked like a dream. I had wasted a lot of time on this before finally chancing upon your post.

Mike
Was this reply relevant?
+0
howiem9999 RE: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 17th May, 2009 00:55
Score: 2
I solved it slightly differently. I searched for pptview on my PC and found a more recent version in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\POWERPOINT VIEWER Folder and copied that into the Office 11 folder. That fixed it.

--
howiem
Was this reply relevant?
+0
CSGalloway RE: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 17th May, 2009 02:55
Score: 3
User Since: 12th Sep 2008
I did extract the files and did a date/time compare and it was:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11]move /g /c Install\* .
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\Install\gdiplus.dll -> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\gdiplus.dll (Replace) (Y/N/A/R)? Y
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\Install\pptview.exe -> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\pptview.exe (Replace) (Y/N/A/R)? Y

both of these files need to be updated....
Was this reply relevant?
+0
CFischer RE: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 28th May, 2009 20:39
User Since: 22nd Dec 2007
Thx g.perdicaro.cdb,

it was working with your solution to extract the PowerPoint Viewer update and manually copy the exe file into the Viewer directory.

Greetz Dix.

--
Together we can reach any star!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
H08590 RE: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 29th May, 2009 03:07
User Since: 30th Jan 2009
can you give me a link to:
I can't seem to find it.
THanks.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
howiem9999 RE: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 29th May, 2009 03:17
Score: 2

--
howiem
Was this reply relevant?
+0
H08590 RE: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 29th May, 2009 03:30
User Since: 30th Jan 2009
What a foolish question I asked. Sorry! I get it now, and it worked.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Topgun RE: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 29th May, 2009 11:50
User Since: 26th Apr 2009
on 14th May, 2009 10:26, g.perdicaro.cdb wrote:
I had the same problem, but i solved in few easy steps:
2. In Command Prompt (Win+R - cmd) or PowerShell (Win+R - powershell) go to the folder where the patch is
3. Extract the content of the patch file, simply run "office2003-kb969615-fullfile-x86-xx-xx.exe /extract:.\temp\" to get the content in the "temp" subfolder
4. Copy the pptview.exe file over the unpatched in your program files folder
5. Rescan with PSI

I hope this works for you, here it solved the problem.

Hi,
Have tried the above fix but when I get to step 3 to extract the file, I get a box asking me to accept Microsoft's terms and conditions, which I do, then it tells me "There are no products affected by this package on your system" and I can't get any further.
Any suggestions please?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Patrick.B RE: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 30th May, 2009 04:22
Topgun, it sounds like you are just running the executable without using the parameters after it. In a command prompt window, you would navigate to the folder where the download is saved, then type in the command:

office2003-kb969615-fullfile-x86-xx-xx.exe /extract:.\temp\

This will extract all of the files to a temp folder underneath the folder you are in now.

Without the /extract:.\temp\ command, the update will just run as usual and do what you described.

-- Patrick B.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Topgun RE: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 1st Jun, 2009 21:14
User Since: 26th Apr 2009
on 30th May, 2009 04:22, Patrick.B wrote:
Topgun, it sounds like you are just running the executable without using the parameters after it. In a command prompt window, you would navigate to the folder where the download is saved, then type in the command:

office2003-kb969615-fullfile-x86-xx-xx.exe /extract:.\temp\

This will extract all of the files to a temp folder underneath the folder you are in now.

Without the /extract:.\temp\ command, the update will just run as usual and do what you described.

-- Patrick B.

Thanks very much for that, I now have my 100% score back! The delay was me not realising that I had to leave a space between the "exe" and the "/". However once I discovered that, all was plain sailing.
Thanks again for your help.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
retusj RE: MS Security Update says "No Products Affected"
Member 11th Jun, 2009 16:51
User Since: 10th Jun 2009
on 13th May, 2009 01:05, jonrichco wrote:
I have the same problem on a Vista Business Dell. My Pptview.exe file was in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\"

I don't have MediaDirect installed. Downloading the patch from MS doesn't help as when you run it, it says that it is has already been applied. So I think there are two answers to some whose problems are not fixed by the above discussions.

1. If you are running Powerpoint 2003, you don't need Pptview.exe since the Powerpoint program has a built in viewer. So delete Pptview.exe to the trash bin, or rename it Pptview.old (which is what I did) and your problem will disappear. My Powerpoint works fine without it. If something malfunctions, restore the file.

2. If you are not running Powerpoint, you can try deleting the file and downloading the files you need for viewing Powerpoint 2007 files (and all versions since PP97) from:

I did a little experiment on the pptview.exe file
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/186...
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.