Forum Thread: updates are "not a valid Win32 application"

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
OK.Kinderhook updates are "not a valid Win32 application"
Member 17th Dec, 2010 06:10
Ranking: 0
User Since: 16th Dec, 2010
System Score: N/A
Vulnerabilities were found in several applications, including QuickTime and Java. However, QuickTimeInstall.exe and jre-6u22-windows-i586-s.exe do not run--each yields an error message that it is not a valid Win32 application. I tried downloading the applications again, but it doesn't help.

How can I proceed and fix the security weaknesses?

Patches are found at
C:\Documents and Settings\my name\My documents\My Downloads\Secunia Security Solutions\

I did rescan after I tried to apply the patch, but not surprisingly, there was no change in the results.

This user no longer exists RE: updates are "not a valid Win32 application"
Member 17th Dec, 2010 09:18
Hi,

Try clearing all temporary internet files in Internet Explorer, rebooting your Pc, and giving it another go. Has this resolved the issue?

If not, what is the exact error message you are receiving? (Word-for-word)

Can you please send us a screenshot of this issue occuring at support@secunia.com?
http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Screenshot-in-Micros...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
OK.Kinderhook RE: updates are "not a valid Win32 application"
Member 18th Dec, 2010 00:14
Score: 0
User Since: 16th Dec 2010
System Score: N/A
Thanks for your reply.

I emptied the temp files, rebooted my computer, and tried each application again. None was successful, but 3 threats no longer were listed after the iTunes installation attempt.

Error messages:
<<QuickTime Installer Completed
The installer encountered errors before the requested operations for QuickTime could be completed. To retry these operations at a later time, please run the installer again.>>

iTunes didn't install, either.

<<C:\Documents and Settings\my name\My Documents\My Downloads\Secunia Security Solutions\jre-1-6-0-01-6u22-windows-i586-s.exe is not a valid Win32 application.>>

Except for the exact name of the file, this same error message came up for each JAVA patch.

As requested, I have sent screenshots to you via e-mail. Screenshots show QuickTime installation error, one of the Java errors--they're all basically alike-- that each Jre file is 0 bytes and the 8 threats found before and the 5 threats listed after attempting the iTunes installation.

Thanks for your help.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.