Forum Thread: Drives still not showing ...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
rougena Drives still not showing ...
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 06:22
Ranking: 2
User Since: 13th Jan, 2009
System Score: N/A
Dear All,

Have just installed PSI 2.0.0.1003 (on a WinXP-SP3 Laptop, first as an upgrade from v. 1.5.0.2 and next using a clean install); looks nice but ... has no idea that I have drives beyond C:\ ... (nor does it list any drives at all under the relevant Settings option).

I see that the thread at < http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/680... > is locked (read: solved!); that's odd, as I also see that it did NOT end with a definitive answer/ solution to keep everybody happy :(

So, people of Secunia: you do a great job (really!); could you just try and help us out here, to enable us enjoy in full the fruit of your efforts?

Thanks,

Rougena

rougena RE: Drives still not showing ...
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 07:25
Score: 2
User Since: 13th Jan 2009
Hi again!

The drives finally appeared! It took a reboot of the Laptop to do so, but here they are :)

This being said however, I wonder whether the new version of PSI (2.0.x) has a lower "hit rate" than its predecessor (1.5.x): it found only some 172 applications (on all relevant drives) as opposed to 251 discovered beforehand! What gives?

Best,

Rougena
Was this reply relevant?
+1
gjjean RE: Drives still not showing ...
Contributor 22nd Dec, 2010 08:48
Score: 192
User Since: 9th Apr 2010

--
HP pavilion DV6
Win 7 64bit - SP1
IE10 + MSSE4.3.215
Was this reply relevant?
+1
This user no longer exists RE: Drives still not showing ...
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 09:18
Hi,

The PSI will not be aware of the drives on your system before you run a full rescan.

As for the PSI appearing to detect 'less' programs, this was also noted by many users in the Beta period. However, the scan engine has not changed significantly, and the PSI will detect ever program it detected before (If anything, it will detect more).

Morever, we have made several changes to how this information is presented in the user interface, which are all aimed at making the PSI easier to use.

One of these is that several detected instances of the same program will now only be shown as one.

The reason for this change is that many users would experience the presense of 'zombie files' (installation leftovers) on their systems, and believe that patches had not been installed. The PSI will still detect every instance and show it too you (and in the '#' column, you can see the amount detected on your system), but it will no longer flag you as Insecure as long as you have the latest version installed.

Furthermore, only the 'root' partition, and the drive containing 'Program Files' will be included for scanning by default (Both of these are usually C:\). This is to avoid detecting backup files on seperate drives, which could also be confusing for some users.
To see which drives are included for scanning by the PSI, look in Settings > Drives. From here, you can only include or exclude drives for scanning.

hope this helps!
If you need any clarification, please let me know.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 09:46
Last edited on 22nd Dec, 2010 09:46 -- (double post) --
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 11:11
Hello Emil,

Thanks for the prompt & extensive reply.

Further to which:

1. As I mentioned before, the Rescan only did NOT activate the listing of the drives; it took a reboot for them to eventually appear;

2. Summing up the "#" values (larger than 1) adds (in my case) some 50 more instances, leaving me still some 27 items short of the previous count (possibly backups a/o, which might be OK);

3. Assuming that everything is right if at least ONE copy is up-to-date might be quite wrong: while, indeed, other copies of the file might be just back-ups (which do not affect the security of the System), still others (like browsers' plug-ins) might be active and NOT up-to-date! Those should be spotted and updated!

3. Locations to be scanned: I might not have understood correctly, but I hope that if I select a certain drive to be scanned, it is the ENTIRE drive that PSI scans and not only the root & Program Files folders (some applications have a bad practice of installing in selected folders of their own, like: C:\ApplicationFolder\ApplicationSubfolder#\...; we wouldn't want these folders to pass unchecked ...)

Kindly elaborate.

Thanks again,

Rougena
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 12:25
Hi,

on 22nd Dec, 2010 11:11, rougena wrote:

1. As I mentioned before, the Rescan only did NOT activate the listing of the drives; it took a reboot for them to eventually appear;

I apologize for the misunderstanding; Usually, this is what it takes.
However, if a reboot solved the problem for you, then this might be worthwhile for users experiencing problems.

We will be looking into the issue.

2. Summing up the "#" values (larger than 1) adds (in my case) some 50 more instances, leaving me still some 27 items short of the previous count (possibly backups a/o, which might be OK);

Have you counted the drives that aren't included by default? The PSI 2.0 really should be detecting every program that older versions were (Except those located in the recycle bin - we fixed that).

3. Assuming that everything is right if at least ONE copy is up-to-date might be quite wrong: while, indeed, other copies of the file might be just back-ups (which do not affect the security of the System), still others (like browsers' plug-ins) might be active and NOT up-to-date! Those should be spotted and updated!

For the typical end-user, 'zombie files' will not be much of a concern. In the majority of cases, when several instances are detected, the outdated instances are leftovers from previous installations. Most vendors will at least ensure that the newest version is used, although many will neglect to delete the files.

In previous versions of the PSI, we experienced many users who had problems understanding why the 'alert' for an old version did not disappear. This caused some users to uninstall the PSI in frustration, and others to simply 'ignore' the application for time and eternity.

To counteract this, we have grouped the detections together like you see now.

To more advanced users, we have left the information intact in the interface, so that those that wish to remove all the installation leftovers still can. And theoretically, you will be more secure if you do (although the practical security impact of zombie files is usually small).

3. Locations to be scanned: I might not have understood correctly, but I hope that if I select a certain drive to be scanned, it is the ENTIRE drive that PSI scans and not only the root & Program Files folders (some applications have a bad practice of installing in selected folders of their own, like: C:\ApplicationFolder\ApplicationSubfolder#\...; we wouldn't want these folders to pass unchecked ...)

Yes, once you have selected a drive (baring any ignore rules), the entire drive is scanned. Sorry if I did not explain it properly.

What I mean was that only the partitions/drives containing the system root and the Program Files folder was included by default in the scan results (To save scan time, avoid scanning backup-only drives, or drives without any programs installed).

hope this answers your questions clearly.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Robert Snyder RE: Drives still not showing ...
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 23:18
Score: 0
User Since: 18th Jan 2009
Just to add another angle - I didn't get the drive listing unless I ran Psi.exe as admin first. Now I get the list even when I run Psi.exe from the icon! Go figure!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 02:15
Hello Emil,

Thanks for the detailed & clear reply.

Here's some more feedback:

1. Rescan vs. reboot: I installed PSI 2.0.1003 on a couple more PCs in the family today, and for ALL (including my own) the rescan had no effect on the listing of drives; it was ONLY after rebooting that the drives appeared and could be selected ...

2. Zombies: the trouble is that not all duplicates are zombies! Take for instance a file like mfc42.dll (first example that comes to my mind, though possibly anachronic, but other DLLs behave in similar ways): it may appear in applications' folders, as well as in the \windows\system32 one.
ALL of these copies are ACTIVE (NONE is a left-over), and those applications that need it and have it in their own folders will use THAT copy, while others (that do not have it in their own folders) will use the System copy.
If these files have different versions, the fact that one (or more) of them might be up-to-date doesn't render the other active copies up-to-date, and they DO need to be updated (however PSI would not point them out to be taken care of ...)

Hope this clarifies my point on this subject.

Thanks again for your continued support,

Best wishes for a Merry Christmas,

Rougena
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.