Forum Thread: Hibernate doesn't work with 2.0

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
tlienhard Hibernate doesn't work with 2.0
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 09:00
Ranking: 11
User Since: 21st Dec, 2010
System Score: N/A
Hi,

I upgraded Secunia PSI from 1.5.0.2 to 2.0 yesterday. Now I can't hypernate my Windows 7 Notebook anymore. Hypernation works, when I stop the Secunia Services before hybernation.

Can you have look at that issue?

This user no longer exists RE: Hibernate doesn't work with 2.0
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 09:02
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

We have received some reports of this, and will be investigating this issue.

If you have any further comments, suggestions or feedback, please do not hesitate to post.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Spiff RE: Hibernate doesn't work with 2.0
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 18:38
Score: 22
User Since: 22nd Dec 2010

I experience the same problem with PSI 2.0,
Secunia PSI 2.0 keeps my computer from going into sleep mode.

This is even the case when when "Enable program monitoring" and also "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" and "Enable automatic program updates" are all disabled, so the "Secunia PSI Agent" service is set to Manual and is Stopped.

If there is no nifty trick to fix this problem, I see no other option than to go back to the older PSI 1.

Best regards,
Spiff

System: Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 32 bit

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 19:04
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.
We will examine this issue, and will work on deploying a solution.

I will ensure that your comments reach our developers for consideration.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
tlienhard RE: Hibernate doesn't work with 2.0
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 10:49
Score: 11
User Since: 21st Dec 2010
Hi Emil,

I made some further test,

when I enter Stop-Service Secunia* before hibernating, everything works as it should. After wake-up, I enter Start-Service Secunia* into PowerShell to fix it again.

This is just some kind of work-around until an update of PSI 2.0 provides a real fix.

Thomas
Was this reply relevant?
+11
elito1949 RE: Hibernate doesn't work with 2.0
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 11:47
Score: 1
User Since: 23rd Dec 2010
Hi all,

Similar situation when trying to enter standby. I receive a BSOD error DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. Problem disappears when uninstalling PSI 2.0
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 11:48
Last edited on 23rd Dec, 2010 12:23

Thanks very much, Thomas/ tlienhard,

But to me, that doesn't help.
As I said earlier, "Enable program monitoring" and also "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" and "Enable automatic program updates" are all disabled, so the "Secunia PSI Agent" service is set to Manual 'by default' and is Stopped, already. Even in this situation, with "Secunia PSI Agent" service stopped as default, Secunia PSI 2.0 keeps my computer from going into sleep mode automaticly.

It looks like Secunia PSI 2.0 does things in the background that keep the computer non-idle and keep it from automaticly going into sleep mode after a period of one hour. Even with those options "Enable program monitoring", "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" and "Enable automatic program updates" all disabled, and consequently the "Secunia PSI Agent" service set to Manual and Stopped.

I'm back to Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2, until there is a fix to this problem.

Best regards,
Spiff

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 12:29

Hi Thomas/ tlienhard,

What is the reason that you use PowerShell to stop and start the Secunia PSI Agent service?
Why not use the Windows Services UI?

Best regards,
Spiff

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 12:45
It's much easyier in Powershell since it's open all the time on my computers anyway. To go through the UI needs too much time (too many clicks) - but you are right, you can also use the UI. The result is the same.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Dec, 2010 21:38
Last edited on 24th Dec, 2010 00:53

Dear Secunia,

As I already indicated, Secunia PSI 2.0 keeps my computer from going into sleep mode automaticly.
It looks like Secunia PSI 2.0 does things in the background that keep the computer active (non-idle) and thus keep it from automaticly going into sleep mode after a period of one hour.

Even when "Enable program monitoring" and also "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" and "Enable automatic program updates" are all disabled, and consequently the "Secunia PSI Agent" service set to Manual 'by default' and Stopped, Secunia PSI 2.0 keeps my computer from going into sleep mode automaticly.

As I already said, I go back to Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2, until there is a fix to this problem.
And I did.

But now things got even more interesting.

I uninstalled Secunia PSI 2.0 and I reinstalled Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2.
I presumed that would bring things back to normal and my computer would go into sleep mode automaticly after a period of one hour of inactivity.
But it didn't.
Only after uninstalling Secunia PSI 1.5.0.2, and subsequently clearing all remnants of Secunia PSI from Program Files, Application Data, and from the Registry, and then reinstalling PSI 1.5.0.2 again, now things were back to normal and the computer went into sleep mode automaticly after a period of one hour of inactivity, as it was supposed to.

'Simply' uninstalling Secunia PSI 2.0 and reinstalling PSI 1.5.0.2 is not enough to stop it from keeping the computer active in some way, so it seems.
That's very peculiar.
Could it be that some active part of PSI 2.0 is left behind with uninstalling and is reactivated with the (re)install of PSI 1.5.0.2 and then keeping the computer active (non-idle) and keeping it from automaticly going into sleep mode?
If so - what part could that be and where exactly would that be located?
That would be very interesting to know, to be able to make a clean (or cleaner) uninstall.

Thank you for your attention.

Best regards,
Spiff

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jan, 2011 10:57
Hi,

After installing the latest build from here:
ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe

Is this issue still reproducable?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jan, 2011 11:23

Dear Secunia PSI Support,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I notice that the newest build is now 2.0.0.2001.
But the Secunia PSI changelog doesn't mention what issues have been fixed,
as I mentioned earlier, in my post "PSI 2.0 builds 1001/ 1002/ 1003 changelog?"
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/705...

The latest build that I tried was 2.0.0.1002.
I haven't tried 2.0.0.2001, yet.
Before I try build 2001, I would like to know if the issue that I mentioned in this thread (most comprehensive at 23rd Dec, 2010 21:38) has been worked on and is probably fixed with build 2001.

As I said in my other thread,
I think it would be good to know what has changed in the consecutive builds, so that users that encountered problems with previous builds can decide if they want to try the newest build.
I think, in the changelog, there's a need for detailed information on the different builds.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Spiff

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jan, 2011 12:41
Last edited on 6th Jan, 2011 12:42 Hi,

I will forward you suggestion regard changelogs to our developers.

In PSI 2.0 Build 2001, we have made some alterations that could be relevant to the Hibernation issue. The PSI should only prevent a system from hibernating if it is using a high amount of CPU (If it were running a scan, fx), and we fixed a CPU overconsumption issue in this build, which could affect the hibernation problem.

Unfortunately, we have so far been unable to reproduce the problem internally, and thus I cannot say for sure whether or not this problem is solved.

If it does not appear to be, could I ask you to enable logging on the settings tab, Open Program Monitoring and check if any PSI-related componets are using a high amount of CPU?
Then please put your computer into hibernation and start it up again. Then send us the log files generated at support@secunia.com (Please do not post them here, as they contain sensitive information).

Hope this helps.

Edit: You can download the newest PSI from here
ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jan, 2011 13:09
Last edited on 6th Jan, 2011 13:10
Dear Secunia PSI Support,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I understand that my experience with build 2001 would be of interest to Secunia, to see if the problem has been solved with this new build.

But as the problem could not be reproduced by Secunia and as it's not sure whether the problem has been fixed, I am rather hesitant to try this build 2001.
I had quite a job of getting rid of the effects of 2.0.0.1002.
As 1.5.02 works fine for me, I tend to wait with the (re)installation of PSI 2.0 till there is more certainty that most of its bugs have been fixed.

I don't know if I want to install build 2.0.0.2001.
I'll think about it.
Is that OK with you?

Thanks very much.

Best regards,
Spiff

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jan, 2011 13:12
Hi,
@Spiff
Yes, that is perfectly okay. :) You have no obligation to do anything - it was simply a request!

If any other users are still experiencing this problem with the latest build, we would very much like to be notified.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jan, 2011 14:39
I have installed the new build and the problem continues. When I installed the first build I got a BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE.
Now I dont receive a BSOD but the computer never finishes entering sleep status. It just hangs on and on trying to enter sleep status, without ever turning off itself.
I would uninstall 2.0 but if you want to have some info before I do that, just let me know.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
tomahan RE: Hibernate doesn't work with 2.0
Member 7th Jan, 2011 03:57
Score: 3
User Since: 7th Jan 2011
Last edited on 7th Jan, 2011 04:43
I too can confirm that PSI 2 prevents my system from going to sleep and crashes my system. I have even upgraded to the most recent build 2.0.0.2001 and the problem persists. Disabling the service or uninstalling the program restores the functionality of sleep mode. I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate on an HP dv6-1350us laptop. The problem initially started when I upgraded from 1.5 to 2.0 a few days ago, and after upgrading to build .2001 I was hoping that was a fix, but sadly it is not. I was able to successfully reinstall version 1.5 without any sleep mode trouble. The sleep mode hang and crash in version 2 also occurs with hibernate mode.

I also have 2 Dell Optiplex 745 systems running 64 bit Windows 7, and haven't yet experienced sleep mode problems.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jan, 2011 13:52
Last edited on 7th Jan, 2011 13:53 Hi,
We are still investigating this issue, and require some further detail.

Is anyone experiencing this problem running an operating system other than Windows Vista or 7?

Does disabling the service solve the problem for everyone affected? And which of the 2 running services did you disable to achive this effect?

Are any of you using power management software other than Microsoft's, such as vendor-specific power managenment?

Is anyone having this problem on a 32-bit system? (x86).

Thank you for helping us debug this issue!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jan, 2011 14:19
ANSWERS BELOW

Is anyone experiencing this problem running an operating system other than Windows Vista or 7?

>> I am running win 7 professionl x64 on a VAIO F12

Does disabling the service solve the problem for everyone affected? And which of the 2 running services did you disable to achive this effect?

>> I have never disabled the services, only uninstalled completely

Are any of you using power management software other than Microsoft's, such as vendor-specific power managenment?

>> Yes, Sony's power management software. Comes with the notebook.

>> As I wrote before, running an x64.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jan, 2011 15:00
Last edited on 7th Jan, 2011 15:00

I have the problem on Windows 7

I have stopped both services. I have not tried with just one yet. I haven't disabled the service, just stopped it.

Sony Vaio's Power Management Software is installed.

Yes, I have Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit installed on that System.

Thomas
Was this reply relevant?
+0
tomahan RE: Hibernate doesn't work with 2.0
Member 7th Jan, 2011 16:14
Score: 3
User Since: 7th Jan 2011

>> I reinstalled version 2 build 2001 to further diagnose the problem, and can confirm it is the PSI agent, not the Update agent that is causing the problem for me. The procedure I went through to diagnose the problem is the following:

Used Clean Boot procedure described in MS Knowledge base to isolate problem

1. Run msconfig
2. Select Selective startup in General tab, and selected Load System Services only.
3. In Services tab, select hide Microsoft services then disabled all except Secunia PSI agent and Secunia Update Agent.
4. Restarted computer. Entered sleep mode and verified system hang and crash.
5. Back to Msconfig and additionally disabled Secunia agents, restarted computer. Sleep mode worked fine.
6. Back to Msconfig and reenabled PSI Agent only and rebooted.
7. After startup tried sleep mode, and it hung and crashed with PSI Agent enabled only.
8. Restarted computer and disable PSI Agent, enabled Update Agent only.
9. Rebooted computer and retried sleep mode. Sleep mode works fine.
10. Problem appears isolated to the PSI Agent not the update agent.

>> I am using Windows 7 power management.

Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 8th Jan, 2011 14:47
Hi,

I also updated to 2.0.0.2001 and the Problem remains the same. After several tests now, I can confirm that the Service Secunia PSI Agent is preventing the computer to go into hybernation mode. Only this Service needs to be terminated, not both.

Thomas
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Jan, 2011 20:18
Last edited on 8th Jan, 2011 21:49

Emil R. Petersen, Secunia PSI Support, wrote:

(unknown source)

I use Windows Vista SP2 32 bit.
I had the problem when I tried PSI 2.0.0.1002.
Secunia PSI 2.0.0.1002 kept my computer from going into sleep mode.
I have not tried PSI 2.0.0.2001.

(unknown source)
Does disabling the service solve the problem for everyone affected? And which of the 2 running services did you disable to achieve this effect?

Two services?
I thought there was only the "Secunia PSI Agent" service.
What is the second service?
The "Update Agent" service?

When I tried 2.0.0.1002, I had "Enable program monitoring" and also "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" and "Enable automatic program updates" all disabled, and consequently the "Secunia PSI Agent" service was set to Manual 'by default' and Stopped. (Not to fix a problem but because those are my preferred settings.)
Those settings, with the "Secunia PSI Agent" service set to Manual 'by default' and Stopped, did not prevent or solve the problem.

As I didn't know of another Secunia PSI service than the "Secunia PSI Agent" service, I haven't checked for such a second service, nor have I stopped it or disabled it.
But would that second service (the "Update Agent" service?) be running with the settings "Enable program monitoring" and "Start the Secunia PSI on boot" and "Enable automatic program updates" all disabled? Or would it be set to Manual 'by default' and Stopped, just like the "Secunia PSI Agent" service? If so, that did not prevent or solve the problem

(unknown source)
Are any of you using power management software other than Microsoft's, such as vendor-specific power management?

No such software.

(unknown source)

Windows Vista SP2 32 bit.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jan, 2011 09:27
Hi,

Thank you all for your feedback! This is exactly the information we needed.

I have forwarded the revelant information to our developers, who will investigate this issue.

Hope this helps!
Was this reply relevant?
+0

delairthom2

RE: Hibernate doesn't work with 2.0
[+]
This reply has been deleted

delairthom2

RE: Hibernate doesn't work with 2.0
[+]
This reply has been deleted

This thread has been marked as locked.