Forum Thread: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
pascal1947 Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
Member 27th Nov, 2008 15:33
Ranking: 2
User Since: 18th May, 2008
System Score: N/A
Am I the only one getting this error? I couldn't find any related forum entries.

"The application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."

It doesn't happen all the time but it occurs frequently enough to be a great annoyance. Typically, I just restart Secunia PSI.

BigDave_39 RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
Member 27th Nov, 2008 17:56
Score: 0
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
I have psi version 1.0.0.1 it works without problems here. What version do you have?

--
Big Dave
Was this reply relevant?
+0
pascal1947 RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
Member 27th Nov, 2008 18:31
Score: 2
User Since: 18th May 2008
I am running that version as well. I was seeing the Visual C++ Runtime error with the pre-release version of Secunia PSI and was hoping that the problem, whatever it was, had been fixed for the official 1.0.0.1 release. The latest occurrence of the Runtime Error indicates that it was not.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Nov, 2008 18:34
ok, afraid I can't help you here.

Have you notified Secunia about it, I'm sure they would love to have such a thing fixed in their software.

--
Big Dave
Was this reply relevant?
+0
angelj RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
Member 28th Nov, 2008 00:54
User Since: 13th Jul 2008
I am having the same problem. I just downloaded the new version today, and have gotten one runtime error after another. If I can't get it to work, I'll email Secunia also. I am very frustrated. This is a great program when I can get it to work properly.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
therealpadd RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
Member 28th Nov, 2008 05:36
User Since: 5th Jul 2008
I too have been getting this error following the recent upgrade to the latest version. I believe the error occurred after applying the latest round of Microsoft patches on my Vista system
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Nov, 2008 15:26
Thank you angelj and therealpadd!

It is at least some comfort to know that there other users seeing this error. It occurred so frequently in the pre-release version that I thought surely EVERYONE must be experiencing the problem and that Secunia would be fixing it in their official release. I, also, have sent the information to Secunia Suport (support@secunia.com). I am running Windows XP but I stay current on the latest Microsoft fixes.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Mephitus RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
Member 28th Nov, 2008 16:26
Score: 1
User Since: 18th Nov 2008
no.. you arent... and im getting sick of it... ive sent a report to secunia with no response other than them asking to send a .dmp file which cant be generated cos MSVC catches the error (whoever wrote back apparently doesnt know what they are doing)

i get it many times on start.... and when the app actually runs (a rare moment indeed) it will run anywhere from 2hrs to 2days (2 days being the record) before it crashes with an MSVC error again...

this same dialog also accompanies it with every crash... (the hexadecimal numbers havent changed since the last RC4 but nothing is really that different between RC4 and 1.0.0.1)

"The exception unknown software exception (0x40000015) occured in the application at location 0x00458761."

i wrote it down to see if the numbers ever changed and no.. they dont....

hey secunia! you listening?!

PS this is on a windows 2000/sp4 system..
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Nov, 2008 17:05
Last edited on 28th Nov, 2008 17:25
I wonder if this is a Windows 2000 problem? Personally I haven't experienced anything like this...

Are you other guys running 2000 as well?

--
Big Dave
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Nov, 2008 17:24
on 28th Nov, 2008 17:05, BigDave_39 wrote:
I wonder if this is a Windows 2000 problem? Personally I have experienced anything like this...

Are you other guys running 2000 as well?

er... one posted they were using XP and another is using Vista... so i doubt it...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Nov, 2008 17:26
on 28th Nov, 2008 17:24, Mephitus wrote:
er... one posted they were using XP and another is using Vista... so i doubt it...

Uh.. sometimes it actually helps to read what people write.. sorry :(

--
Big Dave
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Nov, 2008 22:52
Ok, I still can't get my PSI to work, so I sent an email to Secunia. Hopefully, a solution can be figured out.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Nov, 2008 22:57
ive sent 4 emails and made a post here... they seem to be ignoring this particular error...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
Member 29th Nov, 2008 09:49
Have a read here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307817

Google is your friend.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Nov, 2008 13:00
The error message is not exactly the same and I don't have Microsoft Office XP installed. (I am a proponent of Open Office, http://www.openoffice.org/index.html).

I did search with Google beforehand, though, and found a ton of references to the error, none of which appeared general enough or applicable.

I urge everyone who gets the error to continue trying to contact Secunia Suport (support@secunia.com) and report on any response back in this thread.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Nov, 2008 22:01
rebooted (needed to) and it took 5 'turns of the key' to get PSI running... the first 4 yeilded the same series of errors... first the MSVC followed by the dialog with the same numbers (error and offset) i posted above...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
MRCS4 RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
Member 30th Nov, 2008 12:09
User Since: 30th Nov 2008
One more here. Even tried going back to the previous version. Now that won't work either! Link to MS no help. I don't have those two files anywhere on my drive. I will be letting Support know, too. I was able to capture the Temp file before it was deleted, but not the dump, tho.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th Nov, 2008 19:44
This is nuts...today the interface actually came up on my computer...and it said the last scan was conducted on December 31 of '69. After that, the runtime error appeared. Oh well.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
davidpearce RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
Member 1st Dec, 2008 17:47
User Since: 1st Dec 2008
I use XP Pro MCE 2005; I have no Office apps installed (although they exist on my system in the state received from the OEM 2+ years ago (I left 'em in case a relative needs to use one sometime)).

Just DL'ed PSI 1.0.0.1 and ran the installer .exe today. I've tried to start PSI 8+ times and every single time it has ended with Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error.

Sometimes it has crashed in a minute but usually it takes several minutes.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Dec, 2008 19:45
I received a reply from Secunia support. Its not a resolution but only a request for the debugging information which is left which the Runtime Error occurs. From previous postings, some of you have evidently received the same request. I am including the reply from Secunia support so we can all be on the same page and supply the same information to them.

-------------------------------------------------- --------------------

Thank you for contacting Secunia Support.

When an application crashes and if data is not sent to Microsoft, then
by default, a crash dump is saved to "c:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr. Watson\" as "user.dmp" and a log
file, "drwtsn32.log". Both the "Application Data" directory and the
"Microsoft" directory underneath it are hidden.

We can use both of these files to further trouble shoot the problem, so
it would be greatly appreciated if you could send those two files to me.

--
Kind regards,

Emil Jeppesen
Secunia PSI Support

Secunia PSI
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal

-------------------------------------------------- --------------------

The address and subject line of the email message from Secunia was

Secunia PSI Support <support@secunia.com> (Secunia)

Re: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error

Please use that address and subject when contacting Secunia on this problem or sending the dump files to them.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Dec, 2008 05:22
Last edited on 2nd Dec, 2008 05:24
same cookie cutter response i got from them... the problem that they (secunia) dont seem to get is that the .dmp file cannot be generated and the .log file is very spartin (basically only says that psi.exe crashed) because the MSVC runtime -itself- is what catches the error... which doesnt allow the dr.watson debugger to gather the needed crash information.......

they dont seem to have any response to that... (try it... look in the .dmp and .log files... the .dmp .. if there is one .. is from another application that has crashed in the past on your system... and the .log ... well ive explained that)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Dec, 2008 05:56
Actually the dump file can be captured with this utility:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/sysexp.html
However, it will only capture one part of the dump at a time, and there appear to be a 100+ "page-downs". Perhaps someone with more experience at MacroRecorders for Windows than I would be able to do it without too much trouble.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Dec, 2008 03:58
on 2nd Dec, 2008 05:56, MRCS4 wrote:
Actually the dump file can be captured with this utility:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/sysexp.html
However, it will only capture one part of the dump at a time, and there appear to be a 100+ "page-downs". Perhaps someone with more experience at MacroRecorders for Windows than I would be able to do it without too much trouble.

i found another way to do it using microsofts debugger (the one for developers) and PSI has more problems than i would have thought.... but they all start when the components of internet explorer (which is used for the programs interface) are loaded.... repeat errors due to SEH (SEH is part of windows that a buggy program can take advantage of to try to correct itself after an error) make it through.... its something that would be normal but its the shear amount of them that occur that scare me...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
roxyz RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
Member 3rd Dec, 2008 10:29
User Since: 2nd Dec 2008
on 27th Nov, 2008 15:33, pascal1947 wrote:
Am I the only one getting this error? I couldn't find any related forum entries.

"The application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."

It doesn't happen all the time but it occurs frequently enough to be a great annoyance. Typically, I just restart Secunia PSI.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Dec, 2008 14:33
on 3rd Dec, 2008 03:58, Mephitus wrote:
... but they all start when the components of internet explorer

Could it be that my default browser is not IE? (It's Opera.) I believe one of the other posters said that he shies away from MS software, as do I. I don't want to experiment because I don't know all the defaults IE may change, such as 'open with' image extensions - I just wish Secunia would acknowledge it's a problem, then I can wait for a solution.

Also, another item in common, and this is an even longer shot, is that I have Excel Viewer and Word Viewer installed so I can read other people's attachments, even though I don't use and don't have MS Office installed. Unfortunately when I was doing some patching, I patched those two at the same time I upgraded to PSI 1.0.0.1 so I don't know if was the patches that caused PSI to break.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Dec, 2008 14:57
Microsoft IE is not my default browser either. I use MaxThon which is based upon IE.

I sent a set of log and dump files to Secunia. Strangely, the modification date did not match the date of the last Secunia Runtime Error. I cleared the folder where those files were stored. On the NEXT occurrence of the Secunia Runtime Error, there were no files to send to Secunia. But, I did send them a message advising them that there were no files created.

Before anyone posts a method for getting the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error handler to create the log and dump files, I have little interest in debugging that portion of the problem. My wish is only to get Secunia to function correctly.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Dec, 2008 02:13
Last edited on 6th Dec, 2008 02:14
on 3rd Dec, 2008 14:33, MRCS4 wrote:
Could it be that my default browser is not IE? (It's Opera.) I believe one of the other posters said that he shies away from MS software, as do I. I don't want to experiment because I don't know all the defaults IE may change, such as 'open with' image extensions - I just wish Secunia would acknowledge it's a problem, then I can wait for a solution.

Also, another item in common, and this is an even longer shot, is that I have Excel Viewer and Word Viewer installed so I can read other people's attachments, even though I don't use and don't have MS Office installed. Unfortunately when I was doing some patching, I patched those two at the same time I upgraded to PSI 1.0.0.1 so I don't know if was the patches that caused PSI to break.

it uses IE regardless of what your default browser is... (mines opera too and i have firefox installed as well)

more specifically its using mshtml and all related components (the rendering engine.. not the browser itself)... the same as when you open 'add/remove' programs in the control panel... the gui that shows the list is based on mshtml,etc... same thing with the desktop if you are using a jpeg instead of a bmp... IE gets grafted over the desktop to show the jpeg file...

dontcha just love microsoft?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Dec, 2008 18:54

--- WORK AROUND ---

Are any of you also using dial-up?
After trying more than a dozen possible ideas, some simple some obscure (don't waste your time), I noticed one poster said something about a problem when their "WiFi has been sluggish." What I tried was hitting the Reload Interface from the tray icon a couple of times while it was loading, and I have been able to get 1.0.0.1 to run successfully three times in a row.
I'm guessing either C++ or their server has some kind of time-out that causes the crash.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Dec, 2008 19:42
I do use a dial-up connection. But there seems to be no rhyme or reason about when Secunia gets the Runtime Error. If the software is intolerant of time delays, I wish Secunia would fix it or at the very least acknowledge the problem and that they are hard at work to find a resolution.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 11th Dec, 2008 14:26
Last edited on 17th Dec, 2008 13:34 Hello,

Thank you all for the valuable information that you have provided us in this matter.

We have created an updated version of the Secunia PSI, which we hope will resolve the issues you have been experiencing.

Since we haven't been able to locally (on our test PCs) reproduce the crashes that you have experienced, we have been relying on the crash-dumps that you guys have sent us (a huge thanks for those!). However, this also means that without your help, we don't have any real chance of verifying if our fix works.

We would greatly appreciate it if you would try out this new version and see if it resolves the issues that you have experienced.

You can download Secunia PSI 1.0.0.2 (removed link), please download here instead:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Please note. We have not officially released this version yet, thus it is a limited released as for now. Based on your feedback we may release this version as a "general" release.

We're looking forward to hear your feedback on this new version.

Best regards,

Jakob Balle, Secunia
Member 11th Dec, 2008 16:21
Much thanks, Jakob!!!

I've downloaded the new version and will put it into play.

I will report back to this thread on the status as I am sure others will do as well.

I am grateful that Secunia was following up on this thread. There were times with the canned support responses that we could not be certain.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Dec, 2008 19:59
on 11th Dec, 2008 14:26, wrote:

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to address this issue. It's because your software is so very useful that we want it to run smoothly.

.2 ran without error. I only noticed one small glitch. After installing & clicking to run now and also after a boot, the interface would download (which I could see from my throughput meter) but did not display. The box with the progress bar just continued to run even though the download was completed. Launching a second time in both cases did not have that problem.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Dec, 2008 02:49
this 'new' version works good for me too... had a hiccup on the first run but ran perfect the second... (had to turn anything that was downloading off to get it to start... but i always have had to in the past to get secunia to start)

i too am on dialup... so this may indeed be the problem that 1.0.0.1 had... but it didnt say 'broadband connection' in the system requirements (just the requirement that it be able to reach the SSL encrypted server) so i didnt think it would be an issue to use it with dialup... tho as many have noted SSL is horridly slow with dialup cos the data cannot be compressed by the modem even tho it may be plain text when it reaches its destination (tip: disable images when surfing SSL pages... it helps... trust me) and timing may have been of the essence (has that been fixed in this 'new' version?) since it did say 'this should take less than 10 seconds' ;) (yeah.. 10 seconds... right... dialup doesnt do 'seconds'.. it does minutes.. if you're lucky.. lol.. im so tired of using ma bells corroded copper to get to the web...)

something to the PSI team; try networking one of your test boxes with SLIP (or whatever windows equivalent is... im a linux nut and only have one windows box and havent done any serial connects with a windows box since win95.. so im a bit out of the loop on that one) at a speed of 19200 .. i can download SSL data at an absolute max speed of 2k/s (usually much less.. and with many timeouts..) even tho a zip file from a non SSL source would download at 4k/s and compressible text downloads at 11k/s.. and this is with a hardware external 56k...

if dialup really is the problem PSI needs a 'be patient' mode... that tries tries again when it cant connect or only gets partial data and has a 'wait for it' mode when it detects that the connection to the internet has been lost...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Dec, 2008 00:47
anyone else got this new/unofficial version to crash? cos i cant seem to get it to... it just has the usuall SSL timeout problems...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Dec, 2008 01:48
It has not crashed for me. I am satisfied that the C++ Runtime Error is resolved by this new version.

It still has a tendency to hang interminably when making a network connection, but that is probably a wholly different problem.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Dec, 2008 12:30
on 11th Dec, 2008 14:26, wrote:
Hello,

Thank you all for the valuable information that you have provided us in this matter.

We have created an updated version of the Secunia PSI, which we hope will resolve the issues you have been experiencing.

Since we have haven't been able to locally (on our test PCs) reproduce the crashes that you have experienced, we have been relying on the crash-dumps that you guys have sent us (a huge thanks for those!). However, this also means that without your help, we don't have any real chance of verifying if our fix works.

We would greatly appreciate it if you would try out this new version and see if it resolves the issues that you have experienced.

You can download Secunia PSI 1.0.0.2 here:
http://secunia.com/PSISetup1002.exe

Please note. We have not officially released this version yet, thus it is a limited released as for now. Based on your feedback we may release this version as a "general" release.

Best regards,

Jakob Balle, Secunia

How can PSI be updated to the latest level from within itself?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Dec, 2008 20:55
Last edited on 14th Dec, 2008 20:57
Thank you for replying, Mr. Balle. I downloaded the new version. Though I have not had the runtime error yet since installing it, it did take several tries before it would complete a scan successfully. The first time it listed all kinds of insecurities within IE 7 and Windows Vista. The next few tries yielded errors in the scan. It would say "Zero insecure/end-of-life, Waiting for first scan to finish." Finally, it scanned correctly and I only had 1 insecure and 1 end of life program. Hopefully everything is ok now. Thanks for providing the download.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jscotteubanks RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
Member 17th Dec, 2008 12:40
User Since: 5th Apr 2008
Last edited on 17th Dec, 2008 12:42
Hello j.balle,

I have the same problem with the runtime error. I have tried several times to use the link http://secunia.com/PSISetup1002.exe and all i get is 404 page not found. It seems to have helped the others so where did it go? It was only posted 6 days ago.

--
Foamy Rules!!!

jscotteubanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Dec, 2008 13:20
on 17th Dec, 2008 12:40, jscotteubanks wrote:
Hello j.balle,

I have the same problem with the runtime error. I have tried several times to use the link http://secunia.com/PSISetup1002.exe and all i get is 404 page not found. It seems to have helped the others so where did it go? It was only posted 6 days ago.
1002 has been replaced:
Current version:
1.0.0.3 http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Download:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Dec, 2008 13:33
There is an official version of Secunia PSI 1.0.0.3 available at http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
I have no idea whether the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error is included with this version. The change log makes no mention. I have the install file for the unofficial 1.0.0.2 archived so I can always go back to this version. I shall give 1.0.0.3 a try and see if it also fixes the Runtime Error. If it does, that would be a good reason for taking down the download page for 1.0.0.2. But an explanation sure would have been nice.

I will report back on this thread if 1.0.0.3 fixes the runtime error.

If needed, I can place a copy of the 1.0.0.2 installation file online for download, but hopefully that will not be necessary.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Dec, 2008 14:16
Thanks will give new version a try.

--
Foamy Rules!!!

jscotteubanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Dec, 2008 14:54
Thanks, for the heads up on the new release. Downloaded/installed/restarted. The new version worked flawlessly.
Very satisfied.

--
Foamy Rules!!!

jscotteubanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Dec, 2008 01:43
Secunia PSI 1.0.0.3 worked for me as well.

Thanks Secunia support!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Dec, 2008 02:42
Yes! I just downloaded Secunia 1.0.0.3 and it is working. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Thank you!!!!!!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
shywalker3 RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
Member 20th Dec, 2008 02:49
User Since: 4th Dec 2008

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Dec, 2008 02:49

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Dec, 2008 02:52
You aren't the only one, i am getting it also. has anyone got a fix for this error? gratefully barbie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Dec, 2008 04:01
Read through this thread and download the latest Secunia PSI 1.0.0.3

at http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Dec, 2008 06:05
on 20th Dec, 2008 02:52, shywalker3 wrote:
You aren't the only one, i am getting it also. has anyone got a fix for this error? gratefully barbie

What is the operating system and service pack level you are using that is causing this error?
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.