Forum Thread: Updater do not update every occurence

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Flash Player 9.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
rokdd Updater do not update every occurence
Member 27th Nov, 2008 17:01
Ranking: 0
User Since: 18th Mar, 2008
System Score: N/A
The flash updater is not able to update all versions on my disc.. all browsers are closed.. but some example in CS3 folder are never updated.. but always secunia provides the download which won't help for these fles :(

BigDave_39 RE: Updater do not update every occurence
Member 27th Nov, 2008 17:59
Score: 0
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
You should complain to Adobe that they distribute a copy of the flash player instead of just using the one already on your system and secondly their very own flash updater isn't able to patch it :(

--
Big Dave
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Lissa RE: Updater do not update every occurence
Member 30th Nov, 2008 07:21
User Since: 30th Nov 2008
Last edited on 30th Nov, 2008 07:24
Adobe have not bothered to patch any files successfully. I would not depend on them for assistance for CS3.

It is a very unstable version, and has caused buffer overuns in many peoples.s pc,s.

I have had occasion to call on their support a few times, but never had any satisfaction. I have the retail version, but it makes no difference, my friend has the ESD download, and the program has needed to be installed 3 times, with little in the way of solving his problems, it takes 2 minutes to open, it loses his data, the patch for Flash Player 9 does not make any difference to the threat as it still shows up as a category 3.I have installed and uninstalled Flash Player 10 several times, unhappily there is no change in the "threat" relevance.

So as it will not run without Flash, and I now have Flash Player 10, with no change to it,s insecurity, I just leave it the way it is.

Now that CS4 is released, I doubt very much that they will bother any more with CS3, which they released just before Vista, on which it was a total disaster.

So CS3 has been patched and patched with hundreds of different patches, but I wish I still had CS2, a much more stable program, even if it lacks a few of the functions of CS3.

Maybe if they get enough complaints they will fix it. Please do not forget to go to the global privacy panel, and untick 3rd party LSO,s they collect much more data than you know.
I found 4 programs in their privacy panel, none which related to Adobe, Flash Player, or Adobe products of any kind.

They need to come clean and tell people how to disable this surreptitious feature, which they hide very well. LSO,s are not detected by any antivirus or spyware programs that I am aware of, but Window,s Secrets have a small app, written by a couple of people, it is free and does the job.

Unimpressed with the company in many ways.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Updater do not update every occurence
Member 30th Nov, 2008 07:49
Download Adobe Flash Player uninstaller:
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?ext...

Close all browsers then run uninstall_flash_player.exe then reboot.

The Flash Player files are stored in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Update\Base Images Folder
Was this reply relevant?
+0
redkat RE: Updater do not update every occurence
Member 30th Nov, 2008 20:52
User Since: 27th Sep 2008
I uninstall and install several several times. I am so confused about this, do I even need this program? Also Microsoft office Power point 2003.Whats up with that/ It always shows up as a threat,I plain do not know what to do, maybe this is over my head,any help here?

--
The redkat
Was this reply relevant?
+0
redkat RE: Updater do not update every occurence
Member 30th Nov, 2008 20:53
User Since: 27th Sep 2008
Where do I find this?

--
The redkat
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Current User RE: Updater do not update every occurence
Member 1st Dec, 2008 04:57
User Since: 12th Oct 2008
Hi YoKenny,
I have done this a dozen times, uninstalled version 9 Flash Player, tried to install the patch, which is a newer version, Flash Player 10, still I get the same result.
The "Patch" simply does not take.
Guess I have to live with it!!!!!!!!!
Thanks anyway.
Lissa
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Dec, 2008 14:06
on 1st Dec, 2008 04:57, Current User wrote:
Hi YoKenny,
I have done this a dozen times, uninstalled version 9 Flash Player, tried to install the patch, which is a newer version, Flash Player 10, still I get the same result.
The "Patch" simply does not take.
Guess I have to live with it!!!!!!!!!
Thanks anyway. Lissa

I had that problem once on my XP Pro system and it was because I did not have the needed Permission to remove the file and it was a bit of a challenge to remove it and I can't remember what I had to do to remove it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
vision.reloaded RE: Updater do not update every occurence
Member 4th Dec, 2008 00:32
User Since: 4th Dec 2008
There is a simple workaround for this issue. Make sure you have the latest Flash player installed (I know you probably checked this multiple times, but it's really an important step before you continue). Then go to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge CS3\browser\plugins\" and remove the file "NPSWF32.dll" (you should back this file up before removal, just in case something goes wrong so that you can recover it later - although there is no reason this should happen). Then go to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\", locate file "NPSWF32.dll", copy it and paste it to the above mentioned location ("C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge CS3\browser\plugins\"). Everything should work fine now and secunia shouldn't be indicating that there is a patch needed here...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Lissa RE: Updater do not update every occurence
Member 4th Dec, 2008 02:47
User Since: 30th Nov 2008
Reply to Vision.reloaded

Thank you for the workaround re Flash Player.
I am very apreciative of your help, I have to say though, that Adobe has some curious aspects to their programs.

Can not tell you how much that glitch in Flash was bugging me,
once again thank you,
Lissa
Was this reply relevant?
+0
rokdd RE: Updater do not update every occurence
Member 30th May, 2009 21:41
User Since: 18th Mar 2008
Hi guys,

i wrote some methods down at my website how to update the flash manually.. because a lot of files are not updated normally. Some content is in german but the instructions are in english, too.

http://rokdd.de/t/adobe-flash-player-updaten/

hope it helps
Was this reply relevant?
+0
vagabond1 RE: Updater do not update every occurence
Member 2nd Jan, 2010 20:33
User Since: 2nd Jan 2010
Secunia PSI locks these files because it uses them for it's graphical display. I had the same problem, switching to the simplified interface allowed the files to be updated.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Jan, 2010 22:27
Last edited on 2nd Jan, 2010 22:33
on 2nd Jan, 2010 20:33, vagabond1 wrote:
Secunia PSI locks these files because it uses them for it's graphical display. I had the same problem, switching to the simplified interface allowed the files to be updated.

It would be best to Exit PSI then update the Flash Player as decribed above.

A complete removal discussion:
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/313...
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.