Forum Thread: says no updates

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
jlcaldwe says no updates
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 17:41
Ranking: 0
User Since: 16th Nov, 2010
System Score: N/A
Under the insecure tab it says Microsoft IE 8.x is insecure. I clicked on the download solution. It opened IE and took me to a Microsoft Update page where it scanned my computer for updates. It then said no high-priority updates are available. So what am I to fix?

This user no longer exists RE: says no updates
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 18:05
Hi,

When installing Microsoft Updates, please keep in mind that some of them only 'kick in' after a full reboot.
Therefore, it is always recommended to try this procedure when patching Microsoft Applications:

1) Check Microsoft Update, install all available critical patches
2) Reboot
3) Repeat step 1 and repeat step 2 if anything was installed at this step
4) Run a full rescan with the PSI.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jlcaldwe RE: says no updates
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 18:14
Score: 0
User Since: 16th Nov 2010
System Score: N/A
Thank you for your reply. However, according to Microsoft, there were no updates to patch or download or install. So is it still necessary to re-boot when nothing has changed? Which leads to my question about Secunia says to fix the problem and when I go to Microsoft it says there is nothing to update. I am confused on what Secunia is finding insecure and how to get it to "go away" from my insecure list.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: says no updates
Member 22nd Dec, 2010 18:40
Hi,

The Secunia PSI checks for Microsoft Patches by the prescence of 'KB numbers' on your list of installed programs. Even though a patch has already been installed, frequently it will only be added to this list after a reboot.

So I cannot say whether or not your system is secure unless you reboot and run a full scan.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.