Forum Thread: Dashboard Info development system score + Security patches not shown

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Ruediger.Hermann Dashboard Info development system score + Security patches not shown
Member 28th Dec, 2010 11:40
Ranking: 0
User Since: 9th May, 2010
System Score: N/A
Actually I am using PSI 2.0 upgraded from 1.5, but in this new version no information on the development of the system score + security patches is shown.

I already deinstalled 2.0 and installed the 1.5 = no problem (every information is shown) but wit ugrading to 2.0 I am missing abover mentioned information.

Any solution available for this problem??

Maurice Joyce RE: Dashboard Info development system score + Security patches not shown
Handling Contributor 28th Dec, 2010 12:03
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 28th Dec, 2010 12:08
Are U using IE9 BETA? I have reproduced some a general update from a Secunia Official that may help U:

Hi,

Due to the amount of replies here, I will try to address issues generally instead of on a post-to-post basis. If you feel I have left a question unanswered or you require elaboration, please post back here and let me know. :)

For those users having problems downloading/installing the new PSI
Please try clearing your temporary internet files and your browser's cache and then downloading the PSI again from this link: ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe
Has this resolved the problem?

--

For users with Internet Explorer 9.x Beta installed, please note that this version in not officially supported. Amongst knows problems with this version is a lack of graphics on the PSI dashboard.
To solve this issue, downgrade to a supported version of IE.

--

For users wondering about localized auto-updates, you can configure which language you want a certain package installed in by double-clicking the program's entry and selecting the preferred language in the 'Preferred language' drop-down box.

--

For users wondering about translation of the PSI User Interface, this process is already underway. However, since our translaters are volunteers, we would not ask them to help us before the interface was finalized - ie. before the Final 2.0 was released this monday.

However the translation is already underway, and a language release will be out in the new year.

--

For those unable to open the PSI User Interface on Windows XP SP3, there are several solutions that have worked for different users. If any of these solutions work for you, please post back here and let me know which one.

1) Ensure that the workstation service is running.
This service is enabled by default, so unless you disabled it, it should be activated.

2) Go to where you installed the PSI (Probably C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI), right-click PSI.exe, go to the Compatability tab, and set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services for tihs program'

3) Go to Control Panel > Regional and language options > Languages Tab > Details > Advanced. From here, set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services'
(Please note that this is a global setting unlike what is described in step 2).

--

Some people have expressed concern that the PSI 'closes' when the 'X' is clicked in the top right corner. However, it is only the user interface that is closed.

To keep the PSI as light and fast as possible, we have seperated the PSI into 3 componets - the PSI agent, the PSI user interface, and the Tray Icon.

Closing the 'visible' part of the PSI only closes the User Interface, and not any other part of the PSI. This is also why it 'loads' all over each time you start up the PSI.

This feature was introduced to save CPU/memory while running in the background.

If anyone has further questions, problems or commenst, please do not hesitate to post!

hope this helps.

--
Kind regards,

Emil R. Petersen

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Ronnn RE: Dashboard Info development system score + Security patches not shown
Member 28th Dec, 2010 13:26
Score: 0
User Since: 28th Dec 2010
I have the exact same issue running XP SP3, IE8 v8.0.6001.18702, with Firefox v3.6.13 as the default browser.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Dashboard Info development system score + Security patches not shown
Handling Contributor 28th Dec, 2010 14:27
@Ronn,
Have U tried this?

1.Uninstall PSI using the PSI uninstaller. To do this right click on Start>All Users>then navigate to C:\Program Files>Secunia>PSI - click PSI & the uninstaller icon to use is in the right pane.

2. Now clear the temp files & browser cache.

3. Reboot.

4. Save the PSI version 2 to desktop from here: ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe

5. Activate the saved install file.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 28th Dec, 2010 16:58
Hi Maurice

Thanks for the info. Followed your suggestions but no change.

I also included an additional reboot after the procedure and did a registry clean after uninstall. Used CCleaner v 3.02.1343 for cleaning temp files and registry clean.

The download you suggested and my original download are identical sizes.

After uninstall the only two files left in the install directory were
psialog.txt and sualog.txt.

Secunia reports 100% system score.

Any other suggestions or is this likely to be a bug that needs addressing after the break?

Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 28th Dec, 2010 18:36
Have U had a detailed look at the rest of the suggestions from Secunia that I reproduced above? Tried any?

Have U got Win Patrol Installed?

Is there free access for PSI via your Firewall?

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 30th Dec, 2010 16:13
Hi Maurice

I've tried options 1, 2 and 3 to no avail even though this is not the problem I am experiencing.

IE9 in any form has never knowingly been anywhere near my system.

Win Patrol is not installed.

PSI has free access to the internet.

Previous version 1.5.0.2 worked fine. Version 2.0 works fine apart from not showing the graphics.

Any other ideas?

Ron
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 30th Dec, 2010 17:14
Ron,
To the best of my knowledge U have raised a new issue for Secunia to look at.

The PSI 1.5 series uses Flash to render the graphics. V2 does not hence the minor issue for those using IE9 BETA which is the cause.

Let us hope Secunia look in on this thread & advise.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 30th Dec, 2010 18:32
Hi Maurice

Thanks for trying.

Ron
Was this reply relevant?
+0
daleeheath RE: Dashboard Info development system score + Security patches not shown
Member 31st Dec, 2010 17:28
User Since: 31st Dec 2010
I'm having the same problem with IE8. I have two machines with different hardware, but the same software, XP Home, SP3. Both were upgraded from version 1.5. One works, the other doesn't show the graphs. I uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled with the same results.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Dashboard Info development system score + Security patches not shown
Member 5th Jan, 2011 14:05
Hi,

If you install the latest release, is this issue still reproducable?
ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Jan, 2011 15:17
Last edited on 5th Jan, 2011 15:41
Hi

Thanks for the info.

Tried downloading from website and ftp and both exhibit the same issues i.e. no change.

Method 1: Downloaded files, ran file (no manual deletion of previous version), ran program - no change. Rebooted - no change.

Method 2: Ran uninstall, cleared temp files (CCleaner), cleaned registry (CCleaner), rebooted, installed ftp file and ran PSI - still no change, graphics do not show. An additional reboot still makes no difference.

Any other ideas?

Ron
Was this reply relevant?
+0
daleeheath RE: Dashboard Info development system score + Security patches not shown
Member 6th Jan, 2011 06:11
Last edited on 6th Jan, 2011 06:30
I still have the problem on one machine, XP, SP 3, IE8. I used the Secunia uninstall, deleted the entire Secunia folder under Programs, cleaned registry, rebooted, installed PSI 2.0 Jan. 5 version. The bottom left pane shows 0% - 100% & Week 49 - Now, and the right pane shows 0 - 30 & Aug. - Dec., but no graphics, they are blank except for the vertical & horizontal notations. I can right click on the panes and then left click on property and see that there is data there.

I'm using a HOSTS file and Norton Internet Security.

I did not do any of the activation/deactivation or checking/unchecking that was mentioned for the startup/install problems. Should I try those?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jan, 2011 10:15
I noticed that if I right click the graph area and select 'Property' the graph data is there but the graph itself (in both cases) is missing.

Perhaps this may help in a diagnosis.

Ron
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Dashboard Info development system score + Security patches not shown
Member 10th Jan, 2011 11:09
Hi,

Please go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.

Please ensure that both the 'Secunia PSI Agent' and 'Secunia Update Agent' are set to 'Started' under status and 'Automatic' under 'Startup type'

Reinstall the latest build of the PSI 2.0 and run a full rescan. Does this issue still occur?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jan, 2011 12:47
Last edited on 10th Jan, 2011 12:49
Hi

I've checked Services and Secunia PSI Agent is set to 'Started', 'Manual', Secunia Update Agent does not appear (presumably because I do not want automatic updates). I do not run Secunia at startup only when I want it.

I have run a new scan just to check but no change.

As an experiment I checked Automatic Updates and Secunia Update Agent appears as 'Started', 'Automatic' then ran another scan but still no change.

Without making changes I don't see any reason to uninstall and reinstall which I have already done.

Am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

If you want to talk this through off-line email me and I'll send you my number.

Ron
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jan, 2011 14:03
I went back to the beginning and have performed the 3 steps listed there. I then performed the most recent suggested steps. Everything is still the same. The data is in the pane, but is not being displayed. The panes are blank, except for the headings.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Jan, 2011 09:49
Hi,

@Ronn
No, you do not appear to be misunderstanding anything. Reinstalling over and over shouldn't solve anything (though it's always worth trying at least once).

However, there is a new build out, and I do suggest you install it.

You can fetch it from here: ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Jan, 2011 10:40
Hi

Uninstalled old version, cleared temp files and registry using CCleaner and rebooted. Loaded new bulid v2.0.0.3001 but unfortunately still no change, no graphics appear.

Thinking caps on please!!!

Ron
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Jan, 2011 18:47
I installed today's latest release and I still have no graphics in the lower panes. What can I do to assist in the troubleshooting of this problem? Thanks, Dale.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Jan, 2011 13:49
Fixed by changing a setting in IE8. Left click on TOOLS, INTERNET OPTIONS, SECURITY, choose INTERNET, click on DEFAULT. Close IE8. Start Secunia. My graphs are now showing. I changed my ADVANCED settings to match the computer that was working, but I don't think that made any difference. If you need those settings, let me know. Dale.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Jan, 2011 14:10
Hi,

Before doing that, did you walk through the item of our FAQ I refered too earlier in this thread?

You can find it here: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Does following these steps and restarting the PSI solve the problem?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Jan, 2011 15:21
Last edited on 14th Jan, 2011 15:27
Yes I did, please refer to all of my previous posts for a detailed list of everything I've done. I went throught those steps at least twice. Changing the setting in IE8 fixed the problem. Thanks, Dale.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Jan, 2011 16:26
Last edited on 14th Jan, 2011 16:51
Hi

Good spot Dale.

In IE8 under TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS>SECURITY (tab)>CUSTOM LEVEL (button) the offending setting appears to be "ActiveX controls and plug-ins", "Binary and script behaviors". If disabled the graphics do not show. If 'Administrator approved' or 'Enable' are checked the graphics show (well they do on my system).

Hopefully this will be helpful to others.

Thanks for the assistance.

Ron
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Jan, 2011 13:57
Hi,

After following these steps, is anyone still unable to see the dashboard graphics with non-beta (previous to 9.x) versions of Internet Explorer?

If so, are you able to properly render the graphics on this page?
http://extflot.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/basic.html

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.