Forum Thread: Scan Results - Please Help

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
drinpa Scan Results - Please Help
Member 29th Dec, 2010 00:08
Ranking: 13
User Since: 28th Dec, 2010
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 29th Dec, 2010 00:09

Hi,

I don't know if I'm on the right forum or not, as I don't know what all the other initials mean. I've had Secunia for quite awhile, but in the past it was so simple and user friendly. I've now been all day trying to figure out everything, but couldn't even sign in as well, as I kept being told my password/user name was incorrect. I'm totally frustrated, as I only have one password and username in my book, but Secunia wouldn't accept it. I've been 'round and 'round.

The Scan Results point out 4 errors:

1st, is RegScrub showing End Of Life, as no longer being supported, and yet, when I call it up it goes through the process of working like it always has.

2nd is Qualcom Eudora, which is one of my mailboxes. I have 4 boxes and I did upgrade the one showing to version 7. It still shows as insecure and when I figured it needed my other boxes upgraded and clicked to fix it, it just installed the very same username mailbox. I deleted it. The error is still showing and I don't know how to get rid of it.

3rd AND 4th are both showing Trend Micro, which I never had on my computer as far as I know. However, I clicked to fix it and it seemed to install one, showing as an antivirus. I have no idea why it was there and even though it seemed to install properly, BOTH scan results are still showing as insecure. ??? I just checked Add/Remove Programs, and it's not there either. Not sure what's going on with this.

The other thing is that I have had AVG for several years, but the new 2011 version has been a huge problem, telling me I wasn't protected and was interfering with ZoneAlarm. I FINALLY (after many attempts over a couple weeks) was able to have it uninstalled just yesterday and was wondering which antivirus to get.

I'm using Windows XP with Service Pack 3. I have no idea what the following (from below) means: * The path to where the program was detected on your PC

* Description of what you've done to patch the program (( I clicked on Install Solution))

* That you have rescanned your PC after applying the patch (( yes and nothing has changed. :o( ))

Thanks for any help you can provide.

PS: If this is in the wrong area, please show me how to find the other forums and how to know where to post. I hope I can find 'this' one again.

Post "RE: Scan Results - Please Help" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: Scan Results - Please Help
Handling Contributor 29th Dec, 2010 02:13
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 29th Dec, 2010 02:14
It does not matter where U post on this Forum - there are no rules. Secunia Officials have made it very clear that if they consider a thread is better placed in another area/section they will move it.

REGSCRUB

It will still work. What Secunia are telling U is that it is End of Life & not supported. That leaves U with a few choices.

1. Uninstall the programme & find an alternative or pay to upgrade if that option is available.
2. Do nothing by creating an ignore rule. The downside to this approach is U will never be sure if it is vulnerable and the vendor will not produce updates of any kind.

I suspect the Trend Micro error is from an online scanner called Housecall. To help U with those & your mail I need to know the paths to the problem.

This is how U do it - I understand your caution so just take your time.

FINDING A FILE PATH

ALL PSI VERSIONS EXCEPT VERSION 2

To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, use or switch to the ADVANCED interface, then :

1 Click on the + sign of the programme to "expand' it.
2 Click on Technical Details in the Toolbox to see the installation path of the detected file. (Copy (CTRL+C) & paste (CTRL+V)) the Installation Path of the file back to the Forum.

PSI VERSION 2

From the DASHBOARD page click on SCAN RESULTS.

1. This will list all your programmes with a + to the left of each one.
2. Click the + sign next to the item that U want help with.
3. This will reveal the path under DETECTED INSTANCES.
4. Highlight it then copy (CTRL+C) then paste (CTRL+V)) that path back to the Forum.

As for anti viral security why not give Microsoft Security Essentials a spin? Make sure U uninstall both AVG & Zonealarm before downloading/installing from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/?mkt=...

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+3
drinpa RE: Scan Results - Please Help
Member 29th Dec, 2010 03:26
Score: 13
User Since: 28th Dec 2010
Maurice, thank you so much for the quick reply.

I wasn't certain what you meant about version 2, but after going back to the first page, I assume the 2.0 at top is the version. If so, it definitely seems like the easier of the two.

C:\mail\eudora_down\Eudora.exe, version 6.0.0.22

C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\xscan53.ocx, version 5.70.0.1085

C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\xscan60.ocx, version 6.0.0.1261

I know copy/paste with the mouse and found out that didn't work, so thanks for the hint with the keyboard; glad to know that, IF I remember the shortcut next time. (4. Highlight it then copy (CTRL+C) then paste (CTRL+V)) that path back to the Forum.)

I will get rid of RegScan...too bad, as it was a good program. I have heard Security Essentials is good but had no idea you had to also do away with ZoneAlarm. Since I've never been able to get this computer into Safe Mode, I'm not certain I will feel comfortable deleting ZA before I get something else loaded. Any suggestions?

Eagerly waiting for your answer so I can get my Secunia 'good % marks' back again. I don't know why my post states that I just signed up today. I signed up in Nov. 2009, although I don't think I ever posted. Wish I had time to visit more often.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 29th Dec, 2010 03:45
Just navigate to these two via Windows Explorer or the open file option in PSI then right click the files & select delete:

To install Microsoft Essentials down load & save to desktop.

Switch off the internet. (I think U can do this via Zonealarm)

Uninstall AVG & Zonealarm.

Install Microsoft from the desktop.

Switch on the internet to update Microsoft Essentials.

Will do a bit more work on your mail - very late here - 3AM in the morning so will reply with that tomorrow.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 29th Dec, 2010 04:17
Will check into this tomorrow, as it's my bedtime here, although not quite that late. You may have to explain a bit more how I navigate to Windows to delete, or where to find the file option in PSI, as I couldn't seem to locate that either.

Thank you,
Ann
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 29th Dec, 2010 16:26
Ann,
We can do this a bit at a time. Can U please confirm whether U are using XP,Vista or Windows 7.

Can U also check which version of PSI U have. Right click the PSI Tasktray icon>select about>it will say something like 2.0.0.1003

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 29th Dec, 2010 17:05
Hi, again~

Last night I was busy clicking all the options and found under Settings where I can Create Log File. I 'checked' it but couldn't see that it did anything to get the information you need. I like being able to figure out things when possible, but some things seem to get a bit complicated.

I'm using Windows XP with Service Pack 3 and PSI version 2.0.0.1003.

Thanks for your patience.
~ Ann
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 29th Dec, 2010 17:11
Ann,
Have U removed REGSCRUB? If U still want to I would complete that first.

It should be in Control Panel>add/remove.

Run a full PSI rescan - has that now removed that item from PSI?

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 30th Dec, 2010 03:19
Hi again,

Sorry for the long delay; was gone most of the day.

Yes, I removed RegScrub through the Add/Remove and just did the scan. It's gone.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 30th Dec, 2010 11:29
Ann,
There is no hurry to fix any vulnerability - just work on the issues "as & when"

OK - next bit.

Go to Control Panel>Folder Options>click the view tab>Look for HIDDEN FILES & FOLDERS>if not already done change the view so the GREEN DOT is in the circle SHOW HIDDEN FILES OR FOLDERS>click APPLY.

Close Control Panel.

Now Open PSI>In the Insecure section U should have these two items

Click the + sign next to the first entry. U should see two YELLOW folder signs to the left of the entry. Click the one without a red dot & that will open Windows Explorer & U should see the two entries:

Right click on each one & select delete.

Complete a full PSI rescan - has that removed them?

Reverse Hidden Files & Folders if U prefer it that way.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 30th Dec, 2010 23:00
Last edited on 30th Dec, 2010 23:05
Hi, Maurice~

Ahhh, real life does seem to interfere with other preferred activities at times... <sigh>

I need to mention, when I booted up earlier, I couldn't find the Secunia symbol in the tray. It took a bit to finally spot it, as it was no longer red, but rather, an odd green blended into the background, making it difficult to see. Apparently, that's due to being 'fixed'? I'm surprised, as the only thing that was taken off was the RegScrub so it's not really safe yet.

Anyway, on to business................

After clicking on the folders without the red dot, a box appeared with the following message:

The program has been detected in a special folder on your PC. This means that opening the folder where this program was found most likely won't show you the actual file.

You can, however, open a "Command Prompt" and go to the directory and see the files with "dir". Do this by:
1) Press "Start" then select "Run..."
2) Type: "cmd" and click "Ok"
3) In the new window type: "cd C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files"
4) Type: "dir"

Do you still want to open the folder?
Yes or No choices
-------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------
Uncertain of what to do I decided to click Yes first to see if that would bring up the Explorer page you said. However, it brought up another box with Downloaded Program Files. At the right side is a list with several items that shouldn't be there. I will list them:
Creation Date
{8FFBE65D-2C9C... Unknown 4 KB None
HouseCall Control Damaged 596 KB 5/3/05
HouseCall Control Installed 432 KB 3/24/2004
PCPitstop Exam Installed 296 KB 6/12/2008
PCPitstop Utility Installed 3,496 KB 3/3/2006
WebspyWareKille... Installed 329 KB 12/1/2004
Windows Genuin... Installed 1,452 KB 7/12/2005

Unfortunately, these couldn't be copied/pasted, even with the keyboard method. I will tell you that several months ago when I had the computer in for service, I asked them to remove the PCPitstop that continued showing up as I booted up and had to be checked off. They did get rid of that but I see this and the other nasty looking stuff still hiding out here. Will these go away?

Please let me know how to navigate through this area so I can get to Windows Explorer as you suggested.

Many thanks,
Ann

PS: I've tried to edit the mess above, but for some reason cannot separate the names from the other information, dates, etc. I had it all typed in properly with spaces, so don't know how to get the spaces back in again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 30th Dec, 2010 23:06
Housecall is what we are looking for but U can right click & delete this lot.

HouseCall Control Damaged 596 KB 5/3/05
HouseCall Control Installed 432 KB 3/24/2004
PCPitstop Exam Installed 296 KB 6/12/2008
PCPitstop Utility Installed 3,496 KB 3/3/2006
WebspyWareKille... Installed 329 KB 12/1/2004

Full PSI rescan - what does it say now?

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 31st Dec, 2010 02:27
Last edited on 31st Dec, 2010 02:30
Yikes! I hope I didn't screw up my computer. I read your post to mean I could get rid of the LOT. As I was reading, I was telling my husband about being able to finally get rid of the PCPitstop and without thinking, went down the list to Remove. The first one did come up with some kind of Error message and before I could get it copied to ask you, I clicked by accident on the X and that box, along with the line, disappeared. I should have read your list, as I also deleted the last one before realizing you didn't have the first and last lines there. :o( Am I in trouble?

Just got back to the pc, so haven't run the scan yet, but I'll do that now, while I quiver with anxiety.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 31st Dec, 2010 04:14
The scan came back w/ a 98%. Eudora is still showing as Insecure.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 31st Dec, 2010 11:19
Ann,
Well done. Looks like U have removed a fair bit of old dross! On to your mail. I think U have an old copy but we can do a little test that is reversible.

Open PSI>In the Insecure section U should have this item:

C:\mail\eudora_down\Eudora.exe, version 6.0.0.22

Click the + sign next to the entry. U should see two YELLOW folder signs to the left of the entry. Click the one without a red dot & that will open Windows Explorer & U should see this:

C:\mail\eudora_down\Eudora.exe

Right click on it & select RENAME. Rename it by adding _OLD at the end so that when U have finished the entry look something like this:

C:\mail\eudora_down\Eudora.exe_OLD

Complete a full PSI scan - has that fixed it?

Now use your mail as normal - is it functioning OK?

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
drpa RE: Scan Results - Please Help
Member 31st Dec, 2010 13:35
Score: 0
User Since: 22nd Nov 2009
Maurice,

Uh, my computer must be backwards....LOL.

I clicked on the yellow folder without the red dot and like the situation last night, it didn't bring up any Windows page, but rather, a page with folders that reads eudora_down, which contains lots of folders & icons at right, with a list on the left.

Not certain what to do but I just clicked on the left folder WITH the red dot and I believe it may be the one you are looking for, as it does have the script you mention, although it's not a Windows Explorer page.

Sorry to be so dense, but don't want to make the wrong move here. Will it work by using the folder with the red dot? And if so, why are they not the way you're describing?

Thanks,
Ann
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 31st Dec, 2010 13:41
No - hover your cursor over each one & it tells U - the one WITHOUT the red dot will open the folder where U should see the entry (& possibly many more).

The one with the red dot creates an IGNORE RULE which WE DO NOT WANT TO DO.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 31st Dec, 2010 14:03
Hmmm, clicking on the one without the dot does bring up a folder but as I mentioned, it's got all the Eudora folders / icons, etc. on it and nothing with the script like you mentioned, or any place to type anything new.

Are you familiar with what I'm describing? I have no idea how to do a screen shot to show you what it is, but it's like a folder page from my computer.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 31st Dec, 2010 15:04
Last edited on 31st Dec, 2010 15:07
Maurice,

I just came back to mention something that may or may not be relevant to the Explorer page. I use Firefox as my browser, so don't know if that makes any difference or not.

Also, in an unrelated topic, I just happened to notice my location disappeared from my posts.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 31st Dec, 2010 15:21
Ann,
Do not worry to much - it always appears daunting on a first go. We will get there.

Once U open the folder there will be many files & folders - U are looking for

eudora_down\Eudora.exe or it my be mail\eudora_down\Endora.exe

it will be there - once found to check U have the right file RIGHT clicking on it & select properties then click the DETAILS tab. It will give U the version.

U are looking for version 6.0.0.22 - now close that box.

Once firmly established that is the correct file RIGHT click on it & select RENAME.

It will highlight in a box - just add _OLD to it so it ends up looking like this

eudora_down\Eudora.exe_OLD

Your browser has nothing to do with it. U have changed your profile - U srarted as drinpa & are now logged on as drpa hence the missing bits!

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+5
Member 31st Dec, 2010 17:35

Maurice,

Well, about the sign-in, the 'so-called' Gremlins must really be at work here. As I mentioned, I signed up with Secunia over a year ago with the drpa signature. However, when I tried to sign in the other day with that name and my password (the ONLY one I have in my book) I went 'round and 'round without being able to get through. And you can't ask for help to find out what to do if you aren't signed in, so I nearly gave up. I can't remember if I had earlier problems, hence the name change, but I happened to notice the drinpa on some page, so tried again, which it still didn't accept. Finally had to concede for awhile. Anyway, I don't understand why it is changing. I just click on Login when I return, so it's a mystery, but I hope in the future I don't have problems again.....too much frustration.

Back to the problem at hand:
I've searched the whole page, including hovering over many of the Eudora folders for some hint, but there is absolutely nothing with either eudora_down\Eudora.exe or mail\eudora_down\Endora.exe

There are several other Eudora names, Eudora.cnt - Eudora.GID - eudora.tip - eudora.dll, etc., and some are plain eudora. These all appear as notepad types. There is also one with the new symbol from the other day (before asking for help) when I tried to correct the Insecurity. There were two Insecure Eudoras on the page, and the one did update to version 7, but when I tried to fix the 2nd one, it installed the very same box so I managed to delete the 2nd one. I have 3 other Eudora boxes with earlier versions, but the others seem to work alright.

Sorry to be so confusing with all this. I'm really behind with some other responsibilities, so must leave for a little while, but I so appreciate your staying with me on this and will return as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Ann
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 31st Dec, 2010 17:40
Ann,
As I said there is never a hurry with all this. I will try & think of an easier way for U to identify it.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 31st Dec, 2010 17:43
Last edited on 31st Dec, 2010 17:44
Before leaving I quickly decided to see if Search (at top of page) would bring up the right file. The little puppy wagged his tail and with a happy grin quickly informed me mail\eudora_down\ is not a valid folder so the search didn't work.

PS: Just noticed your quick reply. Thanks.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 31st Dec, 2010 18:16
Ann,
When time allows try this:

Click Start>Search>at the bottom U will see "Click Here To Use Search Companion"> click it>It asks what U are searching for>click ALL FILES & FOLDERS>in the top box marked "All or part of the file name" insert:

C:\mail\eudora_down\Eudora.exe

Click search

It should find that file. Once found,to be absolutely sure it is the correct one Right click & select PROPERTIES> a box will appear>click the version tab> it should say 6.0.0.22. Close the box.

Right click on the file again & select RENAME>a box will appear around the file>click inside the box & just add _OLD to the file name.Once done click anywhere outside the box to close it.

Run a full PSI scan - it should have cleared the problem.

Now test your email is OK.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 1st Jan, 2011 16:16

Happy New Year !

I did as suggested and the search found 2. The top one has the Eudora symbol - envelope with pencil on top, and does have the correct 6.0.0.22 inside Version.

The 2nd one has a large navy blue box with white EU inside and says swEudora, and version is 3.0.0.2.

My question before doing anything is: Do you think the first one is the one I've already updated and now seems to be okay on my desktop? If so, I wouldn't want to change it. Or do you think it is a 'stray' mailbox or something? Also, can the change be undone if it changes my main mailbox?

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 1st Jan, 2011 21:54
Just rename the 6.0.0.22 first then try a full PSI rescan & test your mail.

Everything we do is reversible so U are safe from losing mail.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 2nd Jan, 2011 04:05
Hi, Maurice,

Hooray! It did work and my other mail so far, seems to be okay. My Secunia scan passed with flying colors and I now have 100%.

I remember seeing on some other posts a request to close the topic when everything is okay. When you're here typing a reply, the other posts aren't visible but I wish they were so you didn't have to remember everything, but it must be Accepted? Also, I'm sorry not to have noticed earlier about the little thumbs up - down. I'm not certain how it works. I've seen them in other places but I don't usually post anywhere so never gave it much thought. Does it help your status if one clicks the + sign or just let you know your answer was helpful?

I am so very grateful for all your time and patience.

Many thanks and Happy New Year!

Kind Regards,

Ann
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 2nd Jan, 2011 09:59
Last edited on 2nd Jan, 2011 10:03
Not finished yet!

Please do this. Open PSI>click on CONFIGURATION>now click SETTINGS>click the IGNORE RULE TAB> Please confirm there are no items listed there for PSI to ignore.

If there are no item that is good news - run another full PSI scan. If it is 100% I will know U are secure.

Once that is done we need to put Microsoft Security Essentials on safely if U are still interested. Will not take long & worth the effort.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+5
Member 2nd Jan, 2011 13:52

Maurice,

Okay, under the Ignore Rule Tab, it was blank, so I then ran another scan which came up to 100%.

I have a question about the Microsoft Security Essentials. You mentioned I can use it for the anti-virus, and to also take ZoneAlarm off my machine. I haven't had time to read up on Security Essentials, but didn't think it was a firewall, which ZA is. I know some others don't like ZA but are able to 'tweek' their machines to prevent attacks, so I want to feel secure knowing I'm protected. Does Security Essentials also offer a strong firewall?

One more question; my pages aren't opening to the full sideways width. I had clicked on the middle upper right box to adjust the size so I could have two pages showing, in order to read directions while making changes to the other. After I finished, I closed the one and clicked the center box again, but now the pages open to almost full but not quite. I have to click the center box in order to make it jump to the correct size. I've Googled and fiddled but can't find anything that has worked. I know this isn't Secunia related, but thought I'd ask.

Thank you,
Ann

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 2nd Jan, 2011 16:00
Looks like U are on a winner. I will think about your sizing issue. I have prepared this for U on MSE - it is a complete Suite so have a look through it all before U decide.

Ann,
Installing Microsoft Essentials.

Fairly straight forward. This method is tried & tested. Just read each bit before action!

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is reliant on U have Windows Genuine Advantage(WGA) installed.

From a previous post U indicated U may have removed more files than I actually asked U to do. No big deal but one of those files was WGA. So that U do not get error messages when installing MSE first check all updates from MS are on your PC by going to Start>All Programs>Windows update. If WGA is missing from your PC it will be offered.

Once happy:

1. Close all unnecessary programmes running on your PC which should include mail.

2. Go here,download & SAVE this to your DESKTOP.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/?mkt=...

SOME WOULD ARGUE THAT FOR THE NEXT STAGES YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION SHOULD BE OFF - U WILL BE PERFECTLY SAFE LEAVING IT RUNNING IF U FOLLOW THE SCRIPT/DO NOT SURF OR TRY TO OPEN MAIL DURING THE PROCESS

3.Uninstall AVG using this tool:

http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools - click the link clearly marked AVG Remover (32Bit) 2011 read the notes & U are off.

Once complete AVG will ask to reboot - let that happen.

4.Now go here: http://www.blogsdna.com/4826/completely-removeunin...

Read the instructions at the bottom which includes the link to uninstall Zone Alarm.

If not requested to reboot after the uninstall U MUST MANUALLY COMPLETE ONE.

5. Now install Microsoft Security Essentials from the link U created on the desktop.

On completion it will ask if U want to check for updates etc - allow that to happen. U should finish with a green icon in the Tasktray near the clock. At some stage check the settings/options are to your liking & U will be OK. MSE works like PSI - Green icon(OK)Amber(Iffy)take a look & Red (Whoops fix me).

6. If working OK right click on the MSE install file on the desktop & select delete. U are now secure to surf & read mail again.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+6
Member 4th Jan, 2011 04:17
Hi, Maurice ~

Expected to be back long before now...I could certainly use a couple more hours a day.

Late last night and again early this a.m. I went to Start/Windows Update and checked for updates for Genuine Windows Advantage. Under Express, it said there were no priority updates; when I clicked on Custom, again, no priority, but at the left, it has the following:

Software Optional updates (9) and Hardware Optional Updates (3). Then beneath that, is a heading [bSelect By Product - Windows[/b] (7) CAPICOM (0) Nowhere could I find anything that said Windows Genuine Advantage.

Seems I had another question, but can't remember at the moment.

~ Ann

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 4th Jan, 2011 10:26
Last edited on 4th Jan, 2011 10:28
That is OK - perhaps U did not remove it. Is there a reason U have not installed all the optional downloads offered by Microsoft. Some are important but not critical security?

I would not touch the HARDWARE offers unless U are sure U require them.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Jan, 2011 13:58

Maurice,

I check to see the update History, Express and Custom and never really realized those were there. They only show up when I click Custom. Then also, not being certain what they are or if necessary, I hate doing something and end up getting into a situation I don't understand.

Awhile back, there were, I think, about 7 updates in Express that would NOT get accepted. I tried many times and finally my husband took it to the shop for them to correct. I wonder if these optional items were there then and they missed them also.

Another reason I guess I don't understand all the IE things is because I use Firefox and rarely go to the Explorer pages, except each wk. to make sure any updates were accepted.

It does state they must be installed separately and when reading through the list, I'm not certain what they are. Do you think I should get them? Can you tell me if you think it will be a lengthy process?

Gosh, not only is this taking a lot of your time, (which I really appreciate) but I feel a little nervous about all these unnoticed security issues.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 4th Jan, 2011 15:01
Ann,
You worry too much. My time helping U is not important nor is the fact that U may have missed a few non critical updates. Unless U see/read about a major computer flaw with your PC on National TV/Newspaper it is NOT URGENT unless suffering from an acute form of paranoia.

Can U list what outstanding updates U have? I just want the headers & can then advise U.

Almost certainly one will be ROOT CERTIFICATES - that is all the detail I require.

Always there is no rush.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 4th Jan, 2011 15:42

Thanks for the chuckle. ""unless suffering from an acute form of paranoia."" At times I wonder. <grin> I will add that I've got confidence in all you're doing to help so that helps a lot.

These are under SELECT BY TYPE:

MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP:
Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility View List for Windows XP

Root Certificates [October 2010]

Windows XP

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5

Microsoft Base Smart Card Cryptographic Service Provider Package: x86

Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP

MICROSOFT SILVERLIGHT:
Microsoft Silverlight

MICROSOFT WINDOWS LIVE:

Windows Live Essentials

Under SELECT BY PRODUCT is Windows (7)

Thank you,
Ann

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 4th Jan, 2011 16:45
Ann,
Thank U. I would personally put them all on but will sub divide to help U decide
Whatever U decide, install them one at a time to get confirmation the install was successful. In the unlikely event of an error on any one just give me the details.

THESE ARE A MUST HAVE'S

IE Compatibility
Root Certs
Windows XP

WELL WORTH IT

Silverlight - If U decide to put this on use this link to get the latest direct:
http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/Get-Starte...

Smart Card

.NET Framework - If U decide to install this download install 3.5 BEFORE 3.5 SP1
IMPORTANT - BEFORE INSTALLING .NET FRAMEWORK CONFIRM U HAVE NOT GOT .NET FRAMEWORK 4 ALREADY INSTALLED - U can check this via Control Panel>add/remove

DEPENDS

Windows Search - If U use this feature already U should update.

Windows Live - Read all about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Live_Essentia...

It is VERY optional if U do not already use it or require it.

GOT EVERYTHING ON U REQUIRE? REBOOT

Now run Windows Update again - if there are more updates install them then REBOOT again.

Run a full PSI scan - How are we getting on?

Fair bit there to consider - see U later!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+6
Member 8th Jan, 2011 04:15

Hi again, finally ~

Fair bit there to consider - see U later!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, definitely a fair bit to consider, and neither of us realized it would be this much later.

I didn't run away, but had a nasty fall and am dealing with some personal injury. :o(

The other day I did see your post and read through it but didn't have time to get started. However, I do remember there was something I didn't understand at the time - it may have been the Net Framework, but know you'll be able to guide me through it.

Just thought I'd pop in to let you know why I hadn't returned yet and may be a day or two before I get back again.

We'll get there yet.......

Ann

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 8th Jan, 2011 11:04
Ann,
Sorry to hear your news. No hurry - Secunia auto lock unused threads after 7 days & we are well inside that dateline as we now have another 7 days to make an entry.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
This user no longer exists RE: Scan Results - Please Help
Member 10th Jan, 2011 09:42
Last edited on 10th Jan, 2011 09:42 Hi,

Just a brief note - if a thread locks and you don't quite feel you are 'done' with it, just write us at support@secunia.com and we will unlock it. :)

The automatic locking is certaintly not intended to annoy users!

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 16th Jan, 2011 12:15
Ann,
Brought this forward to prevent auto locking. No hurry to finish off.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 17th Jan, 2011 17:24
Hi,

You guys are the best !!!

Maurice, thank you for explaining about the time limit for the topics AND for your thoughtfulness in saving this for me.

Mr. Petersen, it was so kind of you to add the information you did. I feel less anxious now, since I haven't been able to follow through with this as planned. I am hoping to get back today to work a little more with it, as I'm very concerned about not having virus protection.

Thank you both,
Ann
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Jan, 2011 23:42
Last edited on 18th Jan, 2011 23:49
Hi again,

I ran into a snag. I went through the list again of items to install/update, and have been making notes in a notepad to ask you about some of them. However, since the one with .NET Framework was first and I had a question about that one, I decided to go ahead and start installing the first one beneath Microsoft Windows XP.

IE Compatibility ((( First thing I noticed, it was for Explorer 8. I was certain I didn't have version 8, so Googled to find out how to know and came up with doing Start/Run and putting winver in the box. According to that, I have version 5.1. What to do about this? )))

Next, I went to Root Certificates and after reading the first line it stated "Download size: 343 KB , less than 1 minute". Wonderful, I thought, that will be quick. However, I couldn't find a place to click or any way to bring it up. Then I scrolled up and noticed the following: Select and install other updates
You can select other updates only after you install, or choose not to install, any updates selected above. If no updates appear below, see the options to the left.
-------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------
So I'm back with the question about .NET Framework I intended asking later. ((( I'm uncertain about this one - not certain I need it. In Add/Remove it reads: "Microsoft .NET Framework 1." At the right side it's blank. Should I remove it or? )))

And IF I can't install any other updates without first having .NET Framework, I guess I need some major help.

One more quick question: What would you charge to come to America to do this for me? <<smile>>

Thanks,
Ann
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Handling Contributor 18th Jan, 2011 23:55
Last edited on 19th Jan, 2011 01:36
Ann,
Leave .NET Framework alone - we can return to that as an item later.

Let us do IE first. Open IE>on the top line U will see HELP>click that>from the drop down box select About Internet Explorer>that tells U the version.

What does it say?

As an update,which optional updates have U managed to install?

I do not need to come to America to fix it - I can do it from my armchair here by remote if things get hectic!!

EDIT:

Off to bed now. If U leave the details requested I can update the thread sometime tomorrow.

If U want to carry on updating DO NOT TRY to install any .NET Framework - we can deal with that separately.

To answer your query. When U complete a custom Windows update U are presented with a list of available updates. On the left side of each entry is a tick (check) box. Put a tick (check mark) in the boxes U wish to install. U will also see on the page in blue writing "Review & Install update". Click the green arrow next to that & follow the prompts.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 19th Jan, 2011 03:17
Last edited on 19th Jan, 2011 03:21
Hooray! These went in effortlessly ...... and I was worried they'd all present a problem. :-)

Compatibility
Root Certificates
Updates for Windows XP

The following I'm not certain I need since I use Firefox. If you think they'll be of benefit, I'll do them, but the Silverlight link didn't work.

Silverlight - If U decide to put this on use this link to get the latest direct:

Smart Card
Windows Search
And of course, the .NET

Will wait to hear from you,
Ann

PS - My husband breathed a sigh of relief after I read him your comment about being able to help from abroad. LOL

Oh yes, and I did a restart as well as a scan with Secunia.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 19th Jan, 2011 20:38
Ann,

U worry to much. Everything will work OK.

Can I recap before going on?

1. Please confirm U have checked & do indeed have IE8 installed. It looks like U have if IE Compatibility installed OK.

2. Your outstanding MS option updates are:
a. Silverlight - if this is the case install it from here:

b. Smart Card - Not essential.

c. Windows Search - This is not an important requirement.

d. Windows Live - Having checked what it is all about from the link I sent U only U can decide. It is not an essential Windows component just some nice additional programmes if U want them.

3. .NET Framework.

Can U please go to Control Panel>add/remove - what items of .NET have U got? U may find .NET Framework 1 - 1.1 - 2 & 4 (has 2 entries) - once I know that I can advise further.

4. Once U have completed all the downloads U require,please reboot & then complete a full PSI scan.
a. Does Windows boot normally?
b. Are U still 100% secure?

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Member 20th Jan, 2011 16:01
Last edited on 20th Jan, 2011 16:02
1. Yes, after clicking on Help/About Internet Explorer, the box shows Windows Internet Explorer 8 - 8.0.600.1.18702

a. Installed Silverlight. Here is what it said afterward:

The version of Silverlight installed is:
Silverlight 4 (4.0.51204.0)

You are ready to use Microsoft Silverlight

Apparently, it was installed okay, but the process didn't seem to go as the directions said. For users of Mozilla Firefox it said to save to the hard disk, but the box with selections never came up for me to select and next thing I knew, it was installed. I assume it's alright but have no idea where to find it. It was late last night so will have to do some investigating when I have a bit more time.

b.c.d. Think I'll pass

3. .NET Framework

As I had mentioned earlier, this is the only .NET item I can find in Add/Remove

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1

4. Once U have completed all the downloads U require,please reboot & then complete a full PSI scan.
DONE

a. Does Windows boot normally?
YES

b. Are U still 100% secure?
And YES 100%

Ready for the next step,
Ann
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 20th Jan, 2011 16:26
Ann,
Can I please ask that U double check .Net Framework. U have said that Windows Update is offering:

.NET Framework 3 & 3.5.

That implies U have .NET 2 & .NET 4 installed.

1. Worth running Windows Update again to double check what is on offer.

2. Control Panel should be showing these entries in addition to .NET 1:

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended.

I have got to go out for a while so no rush AND NO PANIC if U can see what I am asking for. From your latest update all is looking good.

Once we have clarified .NET I assume U would like to sort out your Virus protection?

If that is the case just confirm that U would like to keep Zonealarm as your firewall then I will prepare an easy to follow script so that U can replace AVG with Microsoft Security Essentials Version 2.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 20th Jan, 2011 16:36
Hi, Maurice~

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll go through & check everything as you suggested and will see what I can find. I won't panic... ;o)

I, too, have some things to do so will report back then.
Ann
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Jan, 2011 12:58
Good Morning - (it's still morning here)

Gosh, I don't know where those little rascals are hiding, but I've looked in & under everything and can't find them anywhere. :-( I had the Add/Remove page up several times, as well as running the Update again with the same results.

=================================================
This is from my Update Page ---------------

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile for Windows XP x86 (KB982670)

In the next box down is the following ................................................
Select and install other updates
-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

Optional software updates

Microsoft Windows XP

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86
Download size: 69.2 MB , 14 minutes
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a full cumulative update that contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and includes cumulative servicing updates to the .NET Framework 2.0 and .NET Framework 3.0 subcomponents. The .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update provides important application compatibility updates. This combined Service Pack and update is applicable to systems running a version of .NET prior to version 2.0, or to systems that have no prior version of .NET framework installed.

Microsoft Base Smart Card Cryptographic Service Provider Package: x86 (KB909520)

Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP (KB940157)

Microsoft Windows Live

Windows Live Essentials
================================================== =====

About the anti-virus -

From all I've read, Microsoft Security Essentials is a dependable, easy-to-use virus protection, so I'm sure I'd be content with it. I've had ZoneAlarm for a very long time and have heard it's better than some of the others, but am welcome to suggestions. I just know a firewall is necessary.

Ann
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Handling Contributor 21st Jan, 2011 13:10
Ann,

OK - Looking very good. No hurry on .NET - I will look in detail at what U have just sent me and advise. In the meantime more homework for U!

The following instructions look a bit long but very easy to set up your protection as U want it. Just follow the script.

HOMEWORK FOR TODAY
To install Microsoft Security Essentials successfully & have confidence in using it I would first watch the 3 video's on offer here:

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/suppo...

A few points before U start the install.

1. U will have noted in the video that all spyware programmes require removal. If unsure what to do please let me know what U currently have installed before starting the procedure outlined below.

2. There is no need to shut down the internet nor remove,close or stop using Zonealarm.

3. Download Microsoft Essentials from here using the large blue download button. Select the SAVE option & put it on the Desktop.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/suppo...

4. Uninstall AVG using this tool:
http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools

Select the correct uninstaller - I think U require the top option but worth checking your current version number.

It should auto reboot if not U must reboot once the process has finished.

5. Now remove any spyware programmes.

6. Reboot.

7. Next, install Microsoft Essentials from the SAVED desktop download. Follow the prompts & it will install & fully update itself on completion. Once complete U will see a green Castle in the Task Tray with a tick (check mark). U are now secure.

8. Check Zonealarm. Is that behaving normally?

9. Reboot. Is everything normal? Is Zonealarm & Microsoft Essentials in the Task Tray.

10. Now set up Microsoft Essentials as explained in the video & run A FULL SCAN to give U confidence your PC is clean.

Let me know if all is OK & we can finish .NET Framework.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 21st Jan, 2011 14:12

Hi, Maurice ~

Just thought I'd quickly respond to a couple comments. Haven't checked the video yet or started anything, as it may be later before I have time to get involved.

However, I do have a question about the AVG. I'd emailed my brother who lives several hundred miles away about my problems with AVG, telling him I couldn't seem to get rid of it, even through the AVG site. I'd tried several places and then found a site that really did work; or at least I THINK it did, as it was no longer in my Add/Remove or System Tray. My brother had been going through the same thing with the new version messing up his new laptop. He couldn't get it to uninstall either and had to get help from a tech who worked on it. He said they continued finding fragments of it in the registry, etc. and as well, discovered he had a virus, before totally getting rid of it. This was all before I'd posted here to Secunia with my alerts from them.

My question is this: How can I tell if it's totally gone from my computer? I can't see the earlier posts in this thread now that I'm typing, but believe I shared with you I 'thought' I'd removed it. You also gave me a link to use for removal, which I did use but not sure if it did anything.

I did remove the RegScrub, (as you suggested since it was no longer working) which had been a good way for me to check items that were problems, so now I'm not sure how to check some things.

I've done disk clean-up and defrag. In fact, I'd done the defrag about a wk. ago and the other day when I checked it said I should do it again.

Is there a way to check and be certain AVG had been totally removed? I may have other questions, but this is all I have time for at the moment.

As always, I so much appreciate your taking time for this.

Ann
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 21st Jan, 2011 14:57
Last edited on 21st Jan, 2011 14:58
The tool I sent U on my last post should remove it all.

Other ways after using the AVG Removal Tool:

1. Does it show in PSI?

2. Can U see any reference to AVG (it might be named GRISOFT in places) here: Right click Start>Explore All Users>C:\> Program Files> If so right click & delete them

3. Take a look in the Registry - details below:

CLEARING UP LEFTOVERS FROM AN UNINSTALL USING THE REGISTRY

Clearing up any dross that may remain in the Registry after an uninstall is a fairly simple affair.

IT IS IMPORTANT U FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER. TINKERING IN THE REGISTRY BEYOND THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN BELOW AND GETTING IT WRONG CAN,IN CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES, CAUSE A SEVERE LOSS OF HUMOUR AFTER A RESTART AND WINDOWS REFUSES TO BOOT!

1. Opening REGEDIT

Go to Start>Run>in the box that appears type regedit>click OK on the box>U are now in the Registry.

2. Finding the correct key to modify.

a.Look in the LEFT pane for the key [b]HKEY_CURRENT_USER
>expand the key by clicking on the arrow to the left.

c.Look for SOFTWARE>expand that key by clicking the arrow. All the programmes installed (and no doubt many more U thought U had uninstalled) on the PC are exposed.

LEFT click on any GRISOFT and/or AVG U wish to remove. When U click on any folder it is normal that the "nitty gritty" elements of that folder are exposed in the right hand pane for U to double check that is the programme U wish to remove.
Once satisfied U have found AVG or GRISOFT or both RIGHT click the folder(s) in the LEFT pane & delete.

Now navigate to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>expand to SOFTWARE & repeat the procedure U have just done.

There may not be LEFTOVERS in both HKEY areas.

If happy,exit the registry by clicking the red X (top right).

Reboot.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+5
Handling Contributor 27th Jan, 2011 22:51
Ann,
Seven days nearly up. Brought forward for U again.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Jan, 2011 23:03
Hi, Maurice ~

How amazed I am....just sat down to see if I could work on this for a bit and couldn't seem to find the topic. All of a sudden there it was and you had just posted! Thank you for being so kind as to watch out for me. I hadn't forgotten, but couldn't get here.

I will admit I wasn't unhappy to see the end of 2010, and I'm thinking now, with more unexpected situations, I might have been better off just skipping on to 2012 ! LOL. And then the other day when I had a short block of time to work on this our Internet Provider was down for several hours...big power outage due to weather I believe.

Okay, I'm going to first see about getting rid of AVG. Thought I had, but I happened to catch a glimpse of it the last time I ran the Secunia scan. I need to go through the registry as you directed and see if it's there as well. And then, I'll run the link again you'd given to uninstall AVG.

Thank you!
Ann
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 27th Jan, 2011 23:12
OK - Take your time - no hurry & better to get it spot on. I will be here for two more hours before bed if needed.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Jan, 2011 02:20
Wish I could have stayed awhile longer while you were still here, but had to quit & get dinner ready.

When I ran the AVG removal tool from the link, it did the same thing as last time. It ran through the black screen quickly and disappeared immediately. It never showed any information letting me know it had accomplished anything or telling to restart. It was as though it never completed any action. I did restart and afterwards, checked Secunia again, only to see the AVG symbol there. Arggggh.

When I double clicked on the AVG symbol in Secunia, this is the information that came up on the next page: "This program was detected as Patched and thus you do not need to install any security patches for this program."

I'm going to check out the registry now, as you suggested and hope I don't get into any trouble while you're gone. I will be extremely cautious.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Jan, 2011 04:07
OK, as to your directions for #2 -

2. Can U see any reference to AVG (it might be named GRISOFT in places) here: Right click Start>Explore All Users>C:\> Program Files> If so right click & delete them.

Found AVG, as well as a couple other things that shouldn't have been there. One was the RegScrub that you told me to uninstall and I have another thing that I'm asking about before deleting. It's Panda Security. If I remember correctly, I tried that several years ago as per someone's recommendation, but didn't keep it...apparently, it's still leftover? I didn't delete it since I'm uncertain.

While on the subject of finding things, when I first brought up the ""Right click Start>Explore All Users>C:\> Program Files> If so right click & delete them"" I went up the to top and clicked Search. (I realize you didn't tell me to do that - don't know why I did) I clicked on Files & Folders and typed in AVG. It brought up 14 items dating back to 2006. ??? I can type out the list if it would help. Copy/Paste didn't work. One is a help AVG dealing with... and next is hijackthis...from avg page, and both lead to this link: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm. It looks like a couple old forum AVG links are there, a couple removals, and
avg_igeared
avginstlog
avgremover_msilog

At any rate, I just thought I'd mention this and ask if these are something that should be deleted as well or should I have kept my little nose out of that area?

I'll admit I was a bit nervous about :::The Registry::: but didn't make any false moves.

I didn't find anything AVG/Grisoft there, but did find the PCPitstop which has been lingering on my computer in various areas for several years, as well as Panda Software. I don't know if it's the security Panda. There's also another listed as Panicware and it seems that was something I had looked into quite awhile ago.

I'll wait for your advice,
Ann
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 28th Jan, 2011 13:38
Ann,
U have been busy but as I suggested at the start no hurry. Accuracy is better than speed.I understand U being nervous about the Registry. Provided U only go where I tell U then U will be 100% safe.

Go back to the areas U found these & right click & delete the folders or files found.

Regscrub
Panicware
Panda
HighjackThis
PC Pitstop

If they are REGISTRY entries follow my previous script & only delete from the HKEYS I have given U.

Reboot

Full PSI Scan - What path does PSI give U to AVG?

FINDING A FILE PATH PSI VERSION 2

From the DASHBOARD page click on SCAN RESULTS.

1. This will list all your programmes with a + to the left of each one.
2. Click the + sign next to the item that U want help with.
3. This will reveal the path under DETECTED INSTANCES.
4. Highlight it then copy (CTRL+C) then paste (CTRL+V)) that path back to the Forum.

Update 5 01:19 29/12/2010

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 28th Jan, 2011 16:37
Hello, Maurice~

I've been busy most of the morning going through the process once again. I managed to delete the items you suggested from Registry and did the reboot, as well as doing the PSI scan. While I was at it, before I shut down I also ran a Scan Disk, CCleaner, (which I do everyday) and then checked Defrag again. It advised another defrag already. I've done 3 I think within about a wk. & a half. The numbers never changed but I don't usually keep track so perhaps they don't as a rule? Apparently, there's a lot of clutter that hasn't or can't? be deleted.

And yep, the persistent AVG is still showing in Secunia. Below is the path:

Detected Instances:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MFAData\SelfUpd\avgui.exe, version 10.0.0.1150

You can double click this row for additional information and options.

From the cold & snowy northeast,
Ann
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 28th Jan, 2011 17:57
Ann,
Go to that location - right click & delete it.

PSI rescan should then be OK?

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Jan, 2011 23:18
Question:

I wasn't sure how to get to that path and finally realized the info. on the page that comes up by clicking twice, contains the at bottom, although it's not high-lighted as a link, & by clicking on that it brought up a whole page full of avg files.

Right after I found it, I was called away and it's been sitting there for a few hrs. At top left it reads SelfUpd with a separate window at left containing all the (C:) listings and the right window is full of avg symbols (not sure what to call them) but LOTS of them have a large question mark, many do not. They do not fill the whole page, as there are several rows near the bottom with other things so I don't think I should delete the whole page.

I remember awhile back about highlighting many items and being able to delete all at once. Is that what I should do or is there some simple answer? I hope my explanation isn't too confusing.

Thanks once again.................
Ann
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 28th Jan, 2011 23:22
Last edited on 28th Jan, 2011 23:23
Click on the top one so that it has a blue background - now press CTRL & scroll using the down arrow on the keyboard then right click & delete

Edit:
If they are all in a folder in the LEFT column Right click that & delete

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 29th Jan, 2011 02:15
Last edited on 29th Jan, 2011 02:34
If they are all in a folder in the LEFT column Right click that & delete

There is a folder but it's under the umbrella of MFAData, which also contains folders for logs,
mkt
pack
SelfUpd (is last)

I have the page showing and the last avg listed is avgxpl.dll.old. After that are things like - cf - axioo.dll. There are lots of - contacts w/ different letters after them- i.e. contacts_jb - contacts_it, etc. When I 'mouse over' they show Firefox Documents. There are also a lot with license_ru and others, with the same Firefox Documents, which just may be Firefox related to things I did with AVG I suppose. Then, there are lots more with all kind of different letters.

Do you think it's safe to delete the whole folder in this instance, as perhaps they still have to do with AVG, or what?

Actually, at times I'm thinking of deleting my computer !!! (kidding)

Edit

I just ran another PSI Scan and realized I have two CCleaners as well. :o( I think it was last night when I downloaded a new version, but was surprised to see both there after a scan. Will it go away on its own or do I have to delete it?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 29th Jan, 2011 05:32
Last edited on 29th Jan, 2011 05:34
This is the one to go for as indicated by PSI

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MFAData\SelfUpd\avgui.exe, version 10.0.0.1150

U can also use search by the method I gave before - type in AVG - anything found belongs to that programme.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 29th Jan, 2011 15:25
Last edited on 29th Jan, 2011 15:26
Hello again,

I do believe it's FINALLY gone! I decided to dump the whole file since the down arrow didn't work as you suggested. I could group a bunch of them by highlighting and then deleting, but it still took a long time. Hoping there was nothing else in the file that mattered.

At any rate, I checked to see if AVG was in any of the old places where it had been hiding and couldn't find any sign of it........even in Secunia! I rebooted and then did another Secunia scan and no AVG.

I've got to get ready to go out today but will be anxious to prepare for the next step. When I started this I had no idea there would be sooooo many steps and realize it's partly due to my inadequate knowledge for which I apologize.

Ann
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 29th Jan, 2011 15:30
Last edited on 29th Jan, 2011 15:40
Ann,
U are doing VERY well. If U scroll back up the thread U will see my post HOMEWORK FOR TODAY.

Complete everything on that post except item 4 (it is clear AVG has gone).

Will be around for another 9 hours or so if U require more information.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th Jan, 2011 18:23
Last edited on 30th Jan, 2011 18:29
I watched the videos and it certainly sounds like an easy-to-use and complete program. I do have a couple more questions.

I believe the following are the only spyware programs I have. T'would be nice if they could be temporarily removed, but guess not. So I click to totally uninstall them, as directed on the video but it never mentions about re-installing them. Once they're gone, where can I 'safely' get the links to install them again? I don't want doing it through the search program, and I think I know a place I can trust, but thought I'd best check with you first if you have any suggestions.

Spybot
There are two of these in Add / Remove. The 1st one simply has: Spybot Search & Destroy Size 47.08 MB The 2nd one reads: Spybot Search & Destroy 1.5.2.20 Size 6.82MB Will they both be replaced again, or ???

AdAware
SuperAntiSpyware
Spyblaster
CCleaner
Windows Defender (Does this also need to be removed? I remember when I first installed it a long time ago, it was a nightmare for quite awhile with settings, etc.)

I'm SO relieved ZoneAlarm doesn't need to be removed.

I have downloaded MSE to desktop but that's as far as I've gone.

Thank you,
Ann
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 30th Jan, 2011 19:56
For the time being remove:
Adware
Both Spybots
SuperAntispyware
Spyblaster

Switch Off Windows Defender in Control Panel or U can completely remove it.

Reboot & install Microsoft Security Essentials.

I will give U more ideas on Spyware later.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 30th Jan, 2011 22:02
Hi, Maurice~

Help!

I went to the first Spybot, clicked on Remove, and got the following message:

If you just want to undo changes made to Spybot - Search & Destroy, do not uninstall it right now. Spybot - Search & Destroy has created backups to allow you to undo any changes it has made. Please start Spybot - Search & Destroy and use the Recovery section.

Also, you may try to undo any protections you have applied in the Immunize section.

Are you really sure you want to completely remove Spybot and all its components instead of trying the Undo functions first?
Selections:
Yes No

I haven't even tried the 2nd Spybot yet so am wondering now what to do.......

Thanks,
Ann

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 30th Jan, 2011 22:35
Last edited on 30th Jan, 2011 22:36
Just put them back to the default settings - before uninstall. By that I mean undo all the "bits" U have allowed Spybot to take over.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 30th Jan, 2011 22:50
Thanks for the quick reply. OK, I've successfully removed both Spybot listings and guess I'm ready for the MSE.

Letting out a long breath.................
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 30th Jan, 2011 22:59
By that U mean U have removed all the programmes indicated & rebooted? If so U are ready - I will be around for a couple of hours if needed & will prepare some thoughts for U on Spyware.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 31st Jan, 2011 00:29
Last edited on 31st Jan, 2011 00:31
Hi ~

Thanks to you, the programs uninstalled perfectly (biting nails which I've never done-LOL) and the MSE has also installed with no problems. Knowing how things seem to go for me, I felt something was sure to go wrong with the MSE installation.

Ready for the next thing, but will be checking between here and the kitchen, as I'm working on a late dinner as well.

Ann

Oops, forgot, yes, I did reboot and also the ZA seems to be working correctly. Only thing is, I called it up and now can't get it out of the tray. When I click anything, it lets me know it's going to shut down, so don't know how to put it over on the right again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 31st Jan, 2011 01:10
Last edited on 31st Jan, 2011 01:23
All looking good - U may need to explain a little bit more to me about Zonealarm.

Off to bed now. Something else for U to thing about. I will complete .NET Framework tomorrow & any other loose ends.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT.

Provided U have all Windows Critical Updates installed & PSI is giving U a 100% score then U are 99.9% protected.

In addition,with safe surfing, care when opening email attachments,a good Firewall & anti-virus programme installed with up to date definitions U are 100% safe.

The chances of "catching something" with your current set up are equal to getting sun burn on holiday in Alaska during winter.

That said, some do like a "fall back" programme to double check the main defence is OK. If U want that I would install Malwarebytes from here:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php - Easy to use & requires running now & then.

It is your PC & U may wish to put back all U had before. The links are here to help U:

http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html - Super Anti Spyware

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/ - Spybot

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.htm... - SpyBlaster

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download - CCleaner in case U have not got the latest version.

I would not recommend Lavasoft Ad Aware - it has an anti virus element from Avira embedded that causes more trouble than it is worth.

Whatever U decide please reboot on completion of the reinstalls. Is everything OK.

Run a full PSI scan - are U still 100%.

EDIT: Whoops forgot. Please do a full virus scan using Microsoft Essentials to check U are OK.

Once I know that I will give the details on .NET Framework.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 31st Jan, 2011 04:31
I did do the scan with MSE after installing, and restarted again.

I managed to get SuperAntiSpyware re-installed again, and ran a scan which took up lots of time. It's now my bedtime here, but have tried to install the SpywareBlaster again, thinking it would be quick. However, when I got to the part of where to put it (in C:/ I think it said) I clicked Yes and it told me there was already a file with that name??? I went to Search/Files-Folders and several did show up but some were from today --- I think from uninstalling, etc. but I need to shut down so just left it as I'm not sure why it's saying that. There's nothing in Add/Remove either.

About ZoneAlarm: When I had it up on the screen and then clicked the Red X it tells me I'm about to shut down ZA. I don't want to shut it down, just send it back to the right side of tray. Right now there IS an icon there as usual, but also it's showing in the middle of the tray like any other page you have while working. If I right click, it the only choices are Shut Down Zone Alarm, Maximize, or Send to Tray....which only comes up telling me it's a shut down command.

Since I'm about to close down, I'm sure it will be gone in the a.m. but this has happened before and I'm not sure why it stays there if I want to bring up the page; it's annoying not being able to get rid of it.

Thanks so much for the advice about Ad-Aware. I had no idea but will not be putting it back again. I will try the Malwarebytes, as I've heard about it but don't remember checking it out before.

*See you* tomorrow..............
Ann

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 31st Jan, 2011 11:10
If U have reloaded SuperAntiSpyware & Spyblaster successfully I would not use Malwarebytes. They all do basically the same job & fight each other using vital PC resources.

Up to U. Once U have installed/reinstalled all U want please confirm as far as U are aware everything is working as it should on your PC.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 31st Jan, 2011 12:48
Good Morning,

SpywareBlaster did NOT install yet. Sorry if I was confusing about it. I downloaded it to my desktop but when I was installing, it said Spyware Blaster was already in that location and did I want to still install it there? I backed out and went searching, as above.

So I don't have it installed but would like to have that one, as it just works well without problems or taking much time.

Ann
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 31st Jan, 2011 12:53
Is it already in Control Panel>add/remove? Does PSI show it as installed?

If not U will need to find the old offending file blocking the install & delete it.

Once U have it all up & running to your liking let me know & I will give details of .NET Framework.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 31st Jan, 2011 16:59
SpywareBlaster wasn't showing in PSI OR Add / Remove, but is now up and running.

The only place I could find it was through Search>Files / Folders. I have Notepads (in Documents) with notes, and way back when I was interested in SpywareBlaster, I tucked away some helpful information there. I had no idea it would conflict with a download since a notepad seems like an innocent place to retain information. I hesitantly deleted the notepad because I hated losing all the info. but after that it worked. Is that generally a problem - having a notepad with the same name as something you wish to download?

Also, I noticed the following this morning when scrolling down through my Secunia test results. Is this ActiveX something necessary or did it quietly sneak in where it shouldn't be?

EXEnroll ActiveX Co...
C:\WINDOWS\system32\xenroll.dll, version 5.131.3686.0

It appears we're nearly finished.

Ready for .NET Framework.

Ann
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 31st Jan, 2011 17:03
Ann,
This answers your latest query.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb931379(VS.85).aspx

Now U are happy with the way your PC is working I would recommend that U do not install the OPTIONAL .NET Framework hot fixes offered by Windows Update.

The rationale behind my advice is that, in simple terms, they are not being "called on" to work programmes on your PC.

If U ever require .NET 3 or 3.5 a warning will appear on your screen saying something like "To use this programme U require .NET framework 3 etc." or the programme requiring it will ask U if U want it installed.

In a nutshell Windows does not require them to be installed but they may be required to complete a programme function at some stage.

Let me know what U want to do & I will give instructions if necessary.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 31st Jan, 2011 17:42
Last edited on 31st Jan, 2011 17:43
Ann,
This answers your latest query.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb931379(VS.85).aspx
-------------------------------------------------- -------------

Thanks for the link - so apparently, this isn't anything to be concerned about, but should it be left there? I'm still not sure about it.

I won't worry over the .NET Framework then since you don't feel it's necessary.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 31st Jan, 2011 18:12
I would leave well alone & leaving .NET Framework is wise.

Think we have finished but please confirm:

1. U have completed a full virus scan & all is OK.

2. PSI is showing 100% secure.

3. Windows Updates are all installed EXCEPT those U have elected to lay dormant.

4. All your protection appears to be working OK & the PC is behaving normally.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 31st Jan, 2011 22:22
I think you solved all the problems!

1. Ran the full MSE virus scan (WoW - was a few minutes short of an hr.) and got the green check mark.

2. PSI is showing Squeaky Clean Green.

3. Windows Updates are the same as they were with nothing new showing.

4. PC seems to be working normally.

I have one more question before parting here. Way up above somewhere I'd mentioned that my pages don't expand when I open them. I have the edges 'pulled' out as far as possible, but the center square (between the - and the X) shows as a solid box. When I click it, it will then separate into two boxes, one behind the other expanding the page correctly. It's become such a pain doing this all the while, and the Secunia page with the Dashboard, etc. is awful, as the contents are behind the edges and difficult to see. It's all pretty tiny anyway without edges.

I've done lots of searching as I like being able to solve things before asking for help, but this seems to be really tricky, so just thought you might have some suggestion.

Thank you,
Ann
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Handling Contributor 31st Jan, 2011 22:40
Ann,
Try CTRL + right click on the Taskbar - then change the Tile Option - does that work?

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 31st Jan, 2011 23:23
YES --- it worked. Thank you so much!

I can't begin to express my thanks for all the help you've been. I'm sure you'll be happy to see the end of this one with all the side-tracking. I just happened to realize the start date a few days ago. What started out as a '''quick question''' turned into a month's worth of problems.

I've told a lot of people about this wonderful site - about the professionalism and care they offer for anyone needing help. It's one of the nicest boards I've ever visited and I hope many folks will hear of it and sign up for all it offers. Even before I came here with a question, I've recommended Secunia to many others.

I truly appreciate all YOUR patience and help.

By the way, I've searched all around this site to see where one can donate but couldn't find anything. Most places have a very noticeable button for that, so if Secunia does, could you point me to it please, as I would be happy to make a donation to such a worthy company.

Warmest Regards,
Ann
Was this reply relevant?
+10
Handling Contributor 31st Jan, 2011 23:25
Last edited on 31st Jan, 2011 23:41
Ann,
Pleased everything is to your satisfaction. We did fairly well considering I was making it up as I went along!!

On a more serious note if U require ANY type of help with your PC in the future why not use the Forum. It caters for this if U use the Open Discussion thread.

Equally,do not be nervous or worry so much about your PC ability. From where I am sitting U are very competent.

Better U spend two minutes in front of a mirror as problems arise,raise your arms high, skip on the spot & repeat the words of an American sporting legend "I Am The Greatest".

Have fun & I hope U are now feeling better after your fall.

If all your problems are now resolved could U please lock (Accept) the thread. This will prevent us both from receiving update emails from "tag on" posts.

EDIT: There is no donation button - all Secunia are asking is U spread the word which U are doing.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 1st Feb, 2011 00:01
Last edited on 1st Feb, 2011 00:04
Maurice, you are so funny! And thanks for the nice compliment. I nearly 'blew it' with the last post, as I was going to come back and tell you my computer didn't have anything in the tray named Tile Option. Whew. I used to help on a forum ( not with my computer talents! ) in an area of my knowledge & enjoyment and I know it's good to have a lot of patience. You've been really swell.

About the fall, besides the bruises, (not much padding as I'm on the thin side) I had hit my head as well. <ouch> It's been rather unpleasant, but am doing better. Thanks for asking.

I will click the Accept button, and again, thank you so much for making this such a pleasant experience.

Warmest Regards,
Ann

Edit:

Ackkkkkkkkkk, the Accept button is gone. Can you put it back? Sorry.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 1st Feb, 2011 01:36
Gone? I have not got it! It should be near the REPLY button. If not do not worry a Secunia Official can lock it for us.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.