Forum Thread: PSI 2.0 Reported Feature Does Not Work As Advertised

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
gentryme PSI 2.0 Reported Feature Does Not Work As Advertised
Member 30th Dec, 2010 02:04
Ranking: 12
User Since: 7th Nov, 2008
System Score: N/A
2 weeks ago, while PSI 2.0 was still a beta, I had suggested what I thought was a new feature--which, unbeknownst to me, one of the last beta versions was reported to include the feature I had described in this thread (now locked):

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/675...

However, I have now had a chance to use the reported feature now that PSI 2.0 has become final, and I'd like to state the requested feature does NOT exist as I described, nor as was reported to me to be included in the latest beta (and now final) version of PSI.

With the "Show detailed program changes" option selected--and with my last scan almost 7-days old, I manually requested a scan.... When the scan completed, PSI 2.0 reported "Congratulations...", that the 71 programs installed were all secure.

The last time a scan had run, there were 70 programs present.... So, therefore, PSI 2.0 picked up that some new program had been added.

Unfortunately--and the whole thing I was asking for in the first place, was that Secunia PSI would not simply tell me the number of programs that passed, but the name of the "new" program should be identified, as well (since the last scan). This "delta" as it were, ought to be displayed differently in the patched list--since the accompanying bubble merely still reports only the number of programs (and other stats)--but does not include a program name.

Arguably, I ought to know what program is now considered "new" from this latest scan, but I do not--and it was this "feature" I was told now existed in the latest version.

Further, since PSI does not always pick up executables during a scan, and has had a propensity (in the past) for finally picking up something that has been on my computer for ages (making the "knowing" what has changed all the more difficult), the fact the number of patched programs is presented to me without the program name somehow highlighted in the list of patched programs is still something I am seeking--especially now, since I was told 2 weeks ago the option that does this is now a configurable setting....

Please bear in mind what I was originally asking for is totally different than the balloon that MAY appear immediately following installation of a new program--but before a new scan occurs.

At-the-risk of mixing issues in this thread, I will state PSI 2.0 seems to be working fairly well on my XP-oriented laptop, however, I had to revert my Vista desktop system back to 1.5.0.2, as I was experiencing the reported problem of non-stop scanning.... I even tried a complete uninstall and registry cleanup using ccleaner (someone else mentioned Revo Uninstaller, which I may yet try).

At-any-rate, PSI 2.0 on Windows XP running IE8 seems to be generally ok, while PSI 2.0 on Vista running IE9 Beta is a non-starter--not only am I missing the dashboard graphics, but I have the constantly running scan problem reported elsewhere in this forum. Whether there is a relationship to the browser is unknown--but as an added data point, on my Vista system, I also temporarily set my default browser as a non-beta version of Firefox. This resulted in an even worse Dashboard portrayal than my non-working IE9 (if one can believe this possible).

So--the point of this thread is to restate what I was originally asking for as a (future) feature of PSI--and to report observations that echo countless others in the forum.

Anxiously awaiting solutions to the dashboard graphics, other browser usage, and constant scanning problems, and hope a future version of PSI can also incorporate a display of the patched file list that features a visual cue on any deltas since last scan--which is what I was trying to ask for all along.

Regards,

Mike Gentry

--
Regards,

Mike Gentry

Maurice Joyce RE: PSI 2.0 Reported Feature Does Not Work As Advertised
Handling Contributor 30th Dec, 2010 02:13
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
A Secunia Official has summerised some issues/fixes here:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/678...

This is an extract that explains IE9.

For users with Internet Explorer 9.x Beta installed, please note that this version in not officially supported. Amongst knows problems with this version is a lack of graphics on the PSI dashboard.
To solve this issue, downgrade to a supported version of IE.

--

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
gentryme RE: PSI 2.0 Reported Feature Does Not Work As Advertised
Member 30th Dec, 2010 02:52
Score: 12
User Since: 7th Nov 2008
Thanks very much for your reply.

I am well aware of the IE9 "problem" in that IE9 is still beta, and therefore "not supported".

This, however, does not solve PSI's problem of what to do once IE9 becomes finalized and is, therefore, no longer a beta. And reverting to an older browser version just to get PSI to display properly only delays whatever inevitable solution you have to craft to deal with said browser....

Nor does this address the use of other 'non-beta browsers' such as Firefox 3.6.13--which, when made the default browser, is portrayed horribly in PSI.

This does not address the perpetual rescan.

Lastly, this does not address the feature I am asking for which presents the user, by program name, with a visual cue IN THE PATCHED FILE LIST when there exists a DELTA between scans--as this info will provide an implicit aid to the user.

I feel compelled to repeat this, as either my original post 2 weeks ago was misunderstood and was falsely attributed to a new feature that does NOT do what I was asking for, or it simply does not work--and I do not want this request swept under the rug due to misunderstanding....

Thanks again for your reply and summary.

Regards,

Mike Gentry

--
Regards,

Mike Gentry
Was this reply relevant?
+0
rd52 ie 9
Member 30th Dec, 2010 05:07
Score: 21
User Since: 4th Dec 2008
I too am using IE 9, which is much more secure than past versions of IE. It's very polished and should soon be released.
I would think that Secunia, being that it's always pushing to upgrade for more secure versions, would not be asking us to downgrade to a less secure version of internet explorer.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: PSI 2.0 Reported Feature Does Not Work As Advertised
Member 3rd Jan, 2011 15:34
Hi,

The feature to be notified in detail about system changes applies to the program monitoring part of the PSI, not the full scans.
This means that if, for example, you have the PSI running in the tray and it automatically updates a program (or you install one), the program monitor will pick up on that, and display the altered/installed program in the baloon hint.

The full scan does not check for differences between current and previous results.
Am I correct in assuming that this is the feature you are requesting?

As for programs the PSI does not pick up, you can always submit a software suggestion for missing programs. Programs showing up after some time can be explained by our frequent improvements of the detection rules - Oftentimes, one rule will not work for several systems, or will need to be made more 'general'. If you notice any such issue, please inform us as soon as possible, either on the forum or by submitting a software suggestion.

As for the non-stop scan issue, did you check the system clock of the affected box? Is the problem resolved by correcting system time and date?

The reason the PSI is affected by which version of the IE you use is that we use IE (which conviniently comes bundled with every version of windows) to render the PSI's User Interface. This means that the UI is very much dependent on a stable and working installation of IE, and this is why IE9 is not supported.
Once IE9 is stable, we expect the issue to be resolved as quickly as possible.
However, apart from the dashboard graphics, the PSI should overall function as expected in the IE9 beta.

Which versions you have installed of any non-IE browsers will never effect the PSI's performance.

hope this helps. :)

Was this reply relevant?
+0
gentryme RE: PSI 2.0 Reported Feature Does Not Work As Advertised
Member 4th Jan, 2011 00:02
Score: 12
User Since: 7th Nov 2008
Emil,

Thanks very much for your reply.

Yes.... I guess that is, indeed, the feature for which I am asking for (i.e., showing me what deltas exist (by program name as well as how many programs exist) following a full scan).

I have seen the balloon item show up showing the name of a program that has been added (between scans), but if one either does not remember the name of the new program--or if they somehow missed seeing the balloon display of a new program--(i.e., after it has faded from view), then showing the deltas between full scans would be a very beneficial feature of PSI. How you would accomplish this I am uncertain--but if you keep track of the total number (as you already do), then showing the patched list with any new program names displayed in a different color (or some other visually intuitive manner) would accomplish exactly what I am asking for.

As for the continual rescan issue that I have on my Vista Desktop system (which, incidentally is also the one I have running IE9), the System date/time is exactly correct for my TZ, and this is not the source of that particular problem. I was unable to remedy that system using PSI 2.0, and had to revert back to 1.5.0.2.

Now, unfortunately, I am constantly reminded of a new version of PSI (which does not work for me) on this system. I wish, as others have asked for, there was a way to stop that from occurring without disabling all balloon tips. A registry hack or something similar would suffice for me until a fix for the rescan problem is available.

Additionally, I conducted another interesting experiment on the same system by chosing a different Default Browser. I chose, the current version of Firefox (3.6.13)--which is not beta, and whether PSI uses IE or not, when one has changed the Default Browser, PSI rendering of the Dashboard is completely unusable. Meaning the dashboard is complete crap.

I think this is a serious shortcoming of PSI, in that it relies on the underpinning of a historically flawed browser in terms of security, for its rendering process. While I understand the initial rational of using it (probably yields you a smaller footprint), I think it would make much more sense in future versions of PSI to craft a generic, non-browser dependent means of doing this yourself rather than relying on ANY version of ANY browser--IE or otherwise.

Your product provides a valuable service to countless clients worldwide. I just think there's room for improvement by implementing features decribed herein.

Incidentally, my laptop running XP and IE8 works just fine with PSI 2.0--so something about Vista and/or the IE9 "combination" could be the problem on my desktop system, but from an outfit such as yours--whose very product is geared exactly towards informing the public when a new version is available), suggesting that one revert back to an older version of any browser as a solution is not really logical.

I mean, I understand it may solve the symptom, but is not a solution in the truest sense.

If you'd like, I'd be willing to conduct some additional troubleshooting by trying to install 2.0, again--and this time capturing some excerpts out of the PSI-related log files in case something therein may reveal a source of the perpetual rescan phenomenon. Just let me know how/who to submit the log information to without necessarily trying to submit it on the forum. I can do that, too, if that is the accepted means--just wasn't sure.

Thanks again for replying.

Regards,

Mike Gentry

--
Regards,

Mike Gentry
Was this reply relevant?
+3

This thread has been marked as locked.