Forum Thread: Recovery of my Community Profile

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
jackson12 Recovery of my Community Profile
Member 1st Jan, 2011 17:38
Ranking: 3
User Since: 30th Dec, 2010
System Score: N/A
I am unable to recover my community profile. I followed the recovery procedure but it keeps returning the message that the "profile has not been confirmed". Also tried creating a new profile with the same results. However , I can log-in to my profile from the web site. I see that others are having this problem but I don't see that it's resolved yet. Thanks, Jack.

puget1 RE: Recovery of my Community Profile
Member 1st Jan, 2011 19:06
Score:
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Last edited on 1st Jan, 2011 19:12
What browser are you using???? Depending on which one always check and make sure that your security features and /or in Firefox that your add-ons are not keeping you from functioning correctly.. I assume that upon entering the info into your profile that you are going to your e-mail and confirming who you are via the link provided. This is again assuming that the rest of PSI is downloaded and functioning correctly.

--
Windows 10 64bit

There is No magic bullet in computing; only work a rounds.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
jackson12 RE: Recovery of my Community Profile
Member 1st Jan, 2011 19:12
Score: 3
User Since: 30th Dec 2010
I am using Firefox. I have not tried it with IE8. If I try it with IE8, I will have to make it the default browser? Thanks for the help!
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 1st Jan, 2011 19:22
Yes, I am going to my email to the link and getting a confirmation that my profile is good. Do have any suggestion as to security settings in Firefox? I am not getting any other error message and PSI is otherwise functioning normally. I have PSI on 3 other PCs with Windows XP pro and they are all doing the same thing.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Jan, 2011 19:26
Score:
Usually, it is "No Script" and ":Cookie Controls" that are the root cause. Using "Temporarily allow this page" from customizations works for most instances and applies to all downloads. Considering you are aligned with PSI I would go ahead and just allow cookies and scripts..

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 1st Jan, 2011 19:32
Score:
Sorry, I gave up my Xp for Linux,so I cannot reproduce the problem. There,has been a lot of chatter about problems with PSI 2.0 and Xp. You do not have to make IE your default browser but your setting have to allow Secunia to function within IE. Will go to another pc. to get correct process.

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Jan, 2011 19:41
Score:
Last edited on 1st Jan, 2011 19:44
Here are those settings:

I.E. Security Settings

If you're having trouble getting Secunia to connect try this:

The following steps are the latest version I know of to ensure connectivity to Secunias servers:

Secunia PSI needs to be able to connect to Secunia servers to complete its scanning. However, if you have configured
the security settings of your Internet Explorer, the Secunia PSI may be prevented from getting the scan results. To receive
your scan results, you need to do some changes to your Internet options.
To do this:
a. Open Internet Explorer.
b. Go to Tools>Internet Options>Security tab.
c. Select the Internet zone and click on the Custom Level button.
d. In Security Settings, go to the Scripting>Active Scripting option.
e. Make sure that Active Scripting is Enabled (rather than Disabled or Prompted).
f. Press OK then Yes.
g. Back in the Security tab, select the Trusted sites zone and click on the Sites button.
h. Look at the bottom of the page and take the tick from the box marked"Require server verification(HTTPS)for all site zones" then type in the following and press the Add button to add them to the Trusted Zone Sites list:
http:*.secunia.com
https:*.secunia.com
i. Press Close
j. Run the Secunia PSI again to view the scan results

If using a browser other than IE the settings can be accessed by clicking Start-Control Panel-Internet Options-then follow c thru

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 1st Jan, 2011 20:34
I have tried all your suggestions...getting same problem. When starting PSI, I connect to the Secunia server but still not showing registered. It seems to working perfectly but still won't verify my profile. I click on configuration and then on Secunia Community Profile but its blank. Should it show my profile on this screen or will it only show up when I log-on thru the web site. I try the recover but it gives that error response. On the previous version of PSI, it did display the profile. Maybe I am not understanding how this profile section is working. Other than this PSI is functioning normally (scans, updates, etc). Thanks for all your help puget1!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Jan, 2011 21:05
Score:
Last edited on 1st Jan, 2011 21:38
Maybe, I don't understand the problem. I have had to log-in with PSI every time I go to the site. I no longer just automatically get logged in. Nor do I get log-in from clicking on the link with-in my e-mail link. Little price to pay for the free program. There are only two other things left 1. watch the forum and go through old postings and see if you can match the problem. 2. Contact Secunia via drop down under Company. Sorry,this is a reach but under settings in Vista ,I do not have automatic updates or log file ticked.
In the dashboard do you see your user-name under Secunia community profile. If so/or not click on it and it should take you to your profile. If the info is provided then click the save button and it should be resolved. Otherwise I am stucik Maybe:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/693...

"E: Unable to retrieve PSI User ID from Secunia
Member 31st Dec, 2010 07:28
Score: -2
User Since: 25th Nov 2008

on 27th Dec, 2010 22:31, star9119 wrote:
Emil,

The problem was my Avast Firewall. I turned it off and everything now works fine.

Try adding http://*.secunia.com and https://*.secunia.com to the exclusions list so you won't have to turn off the firewall. (That would be firewall settings,whtever one you use)

I would appreciate it if you can also let me know if it works.

Thanks!

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 1st Jan, 2011 23:28
In the Dashboard window, the Secunia Community Profile shows me as an <unregistered user>. When I clicked on it, it took me to the Secunia Community Profile Window. It shows 2 options: (1) Create a profile and (2) Recover existing profile. I first tried to recover my my existing profile, entered my username/email address and clicked the Recover Profile button. I received the email confirmation and clicked on the web address which brought me to Secunia page showing my profile confirmation. I then went back to the profile window and clicked on the Load Profile button. I received the following bubble message: "Profile has not been confirmed". I tried creating a new profile with the same results. In the Dashboard, it still shows me as an <unregistered user>. I will contact Secunia directly. Again thanks for your assistance and when I get it resolved, I will let you know.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Jan, 2011 00:22
Score:
Last edited on 2nd Jan, 2011 00:31
Where it says"Secunia page showing my profile confirmation."

Below the profile box is a box that state"Save my community profile' Did you do that before going back to your e-mail confirmation? It may be the problem as you did not state that in prior reply?

Hold it How are you able to log into the forum without a username and password??? Go to The Forum threads and go to My Profile and see what it says in the actual forum itself

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Jan, 2011 02:17
I have a username & password which I use to log-in & see that I do have a profile. I also see a Save button for my profile below the profile settings on the right side when I click on My Profile. However, when I open PSI, it still shows that I'm an <unregistered user>. Shouldn't it show my username?
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 2nd Jan, 2011 04:51
Score:
Last edited on 2nd Jan, 2011 05:09
Sometimes it just may need a rest so Secunia servers can catch up with data. Rest on it and try again tomorrow, Otherwise:

I hate to say this,but pick a machine totally uninstall,and restart your p.c Re-download PSI and reinstall. Then run a scan with PSI then go through the recovery regimen for recovering your profile.. See if it kicks in. Have you checked out the forum thread about Lanman workstation? Maybe, otherwise I am out of suggestions.

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Jan, 2011 01:30
Score:
Last edited on 3rd Jan, 2011 01:34
Have seen or attempted any of these:http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/689...

Pay attention to Our friend and colleague Maurice Joyce: especially #3
) Go to Control Panel > Regional and language options > Languages Tab > Details > Advanced. From here, set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services'
(Please note that this is a global setting unlike what is described

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+1
This user no longer exists RE: Recovery of my Community Profile
Member 3rd Jan, 2011 12:08
Hi,

Possibly, we have an outstanding issue with the 'Load Profile' button not working as intended.
If you try closing the PSI after confirming your profile, does your profile show when you start the PSI again?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Jan, 2011 00:56
Hi Puget1,

Checked the setting ok. I have cable & this is the only program I am having trouble with.

Hi Emile,

When I click on the <unregistered User> on the Dashboard, I then enter my username & email and click on Recover Profile button. It sends the info and I get the following message back SUCCESS Your was successfully sent. This is the exact message!
After I receive the email link & then click on the link, I get the Confirmation Window that states Secunia Profile Confirmed.
I then go back to PSI and click on the Load Profile button. I get the following message back Not Verified Your profile recovery has not been verified.
I close and then reopen PSI. It still shows <unregistered user>.

Thank for all the help! Jack
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Jan, 2011 01:40
Score:
Man I hate to Lose,, the only thing left is that the" profile button is defective",which means you are going to have to monitor the forum and see if Secunia comes up with a fix. Everything was fine with me ,until this morning and my tray icon no longer showes as green, but the old red. I am thinking it is because I am not using auto-updates which vitually keeps 2.0 as 1.5.0.2. I'll keep monitoring this post and hopefully we'll get a fix.

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Jan, 2011 18:59
I received the following email in response to my email to Secunia PSI support:

Thank you for contacting Secunia Support.

There is currently an issue with the Load Profile button so you may not
be able to use the feature to recover an existing profile. We are
working to get it fixed as soon as possible.

Please note that this has no influence on the functionality in the PSI
and that you can still log in to the Community etc. Registering the PSI
is not required to use it.
-
Kind regards,

Emil Jeppesen
Secunia PSI Support

Thanks again for your help puget1 and Emil!
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 5th Jan, 2011 10:06
Hi,

If you are still having problems recovering your Profile, try this procedure:

To tie your profile to a PSI installation, fill in the forms with appropriate
information and click "Recover Profile".

Now check the email tied to your account, and click the confirmation link in the email you have received.

Press the Load Profile button, and the PSI should show your registration. If it does not immediately show after clicking Load Profile, try shutting down and
restarting the PSI and tray icon.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Jan, 2011 19:18
Hi Emil,

Just to clarify, when you wrote: To tie your profile to a PSI installation, fill in the forms with appropriate information and click "Recover Profile"., did you mean the lower form section Recover Existing Secunia Community Profile? If you did, I followed your procedure with the same results as previously noted.

I also tried to run a manual scan which failed. It got to "Matching data with Secunia File Signitures engine" and a balloon message popped up "ALERT Scan aborted".

I am running Windows XP pro SP3 & Firefox. I also have Symantec Client Security v10.0 , SuperAntiSpyware, and no Firewall SW running on my PC.

I have all the PSI settings checked. I also checked the "Create Log File" and a log file was created.

Thanks, Jack
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jan, 2011 13:00
Hi,

Please try installing the newest build of the PSI 2.0:
ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe

Are you able to load your profile following my procedure posted above after installing this version?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Jan, 2011 08:24
Last edited on 9th Jan, 2011 20:49
Hi Emil,

I installed the newest build of PSI 2.0.0.2001 (from build 2 0 0.1003). When I try the procedure you stated, I sill get the same results that I previous stated (still shows me as an <unregistered user> on the dashboard.

I also installed this newest build on a second PC and got different problems. When I start PSI, the window opens but I get no splash screen, only the progression bar and status. It then went to the normal screen displaying the dashboard. It started the scan automatically and completed normally. I also noticed that on the configuration/settings window, that check boxes & drives were missing on the drives tab and on the Secunia Community Profile window, the choice boxes were missing (no Create a Profile, Load Profile, or Recover Profile). It it possible other software or browser setting are causing this?

I checked the Internet Options on second PC and found some incorrect. I went to the General Tab then to the Accessibility button and found all the selections under formatting checked. I unchecked them and restarted PSI. Now starts normally and the Secunia Community Profile window displays fine. I still have issues with the Drives tab and the Profile Recover procedure.

Thanks, Jack
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jan, 2011 14:55
Hi,

Are you using the IE9 Beta on either of your systems?

The IE9 Beta is currently not supported, and there are several known issues with this version.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jan, 2011 23:21
Hi Emil,

I am using IE8 with all the updates. I am finding that the way PSI behaves and displays is very dependent on the Internet options. Is there an Installation or User Guide for PSI? Are there any other programs that may interfere with PSI?

Thanks, Jack
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Recovery of my Community Profile
Handling Contributor 10th Jan, 2011 23:27
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Jack,
Have U looked at the FAQ here?
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Have U seen the User Manual?

Open PSI>Dashboard>Learn More>Secunia PSI Maual(PDF)

Hope this helps.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Jan, 2011 02:47
Score:
@jackson12

Here is a visual aid that may help. I only wish to assist and hope that some how you are missing a step in procedure.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Secunia#p/a/u/0/t1rQib...

Will hope for the best

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Jan, 2011 23:40
Again thanks for your assistance. I viewed the PSI Manual and the youtube video. As I indicated on my previous posts, I am following the set procedure for restoring my profile but it not working. I can log-in manually to the forum. I still get the message after I click "Load Profile" of:
Not Verified

Your profile recovery has not been verified.

Please click the link that has been emailed to you and press the "Load Profile" button again.

I do not get any other error message. I have the following:
Windows XP pro SP3
SuperAntiSpyware 4.47.1000
Symantic AntiVirus Corporate 10.0

I've tried disabling the antispyware & antivirus with same results. What now?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Jan, 2011 04:01
Score:
Last edited on 14th Jan, 2011 04:12
Are You running "NO Scripts" and "Cookie Safe" for every page you are on those settings have to be set to "Allow". Otherwise the information is not going out and returning properly. That is every page . Secondly I am beginning to think that it just might be a problem with your e-mail settings. The return from Secunia is coming to your "inbox" correct and not your junk mail? Check your junk mail settings. Norton is a bug a boo too. Make sure that you have those setting correct. Otherwise you will have to go back to Secunia. The correct newest version is 2.0.0.3001 and no longer requires the Lanman work station'
You have NOT uninstalled the previous version of PSI downloaded and then installed the new version have you. I have found in my case, that leaving the previous version installed and installing directly from the download new version that the installer works better at keeping prior information in tacked.

Stay with it you are bound to win/Luck

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 15th Jan, 2011 14:34
Score:
[quote=p32694]Are You running "NO Scripts" and "Cookie Safe" for every page you are on those settings have to be set to "Allow". Otherwise the information is not going out and returning properly. That is every page . Secondly I am beginning to think that it just might be a problem with your e-mail settings. The return from Secunia is coming to your "inbox" correct and not your junk mail? Check your junk mail settings. Norton is a bug a boo too. Make sure that you have those setting correct. Otherwise you will have to go back to Secunia. The correct newest version is 2.0.0.3001 and no longer requires the Lanman work station'
You have NOT uninstalled the previous version of PSI downloaded and then installed the new version have you. I have found in my case, that leaving the previous version installed and installing directly from the download new version that the installer works better at keeping prior information in tacked.

Stay with it you are bound to win/Luck

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 15th Jan, 2011 14:36
Score:
Here is some new info about firewalls: From Emil Peterson

I know you've added Secunia re your firewall...but maybe the following is still worth checking out. A copy of an official reply yesterday concerning a similar matter :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/682...

RE: PSI 2.0 Not Working - Stops at Verifying Internet Connection
14th Jan, 2011 11:26

To anyone still experiencing this problem.

Have you configured Windows Firewall to blacklist outgoing traffick? (ie. disallow everything by default).

If so, you need to allow "psi.exe" and "psia.exe" with "Allow the connection".
"Allow the connection if it is secure" only refers to IPsec, so the PSI won't work if this is how your firewall rules are configured.

If you solve the problem with any of this information, please post back and let me know so we can include the steps in our FAQ

Hope this helps.

--
Kind regards,

Emil R. Petersen
Secunia PSI Support

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 15th Jan, 2011 17:54
I checked out the other threads and I am not seeing any connection to the problem I having. My ISP is Time Warner Cable and I am not having any other connection type issues. Presently, this is the only app giving me trouble.

I presently have a profile with username of "jackson12" and I use it to log-in to use this forum. I even tried to create a new profile with user name of "commjack12". When I filled out the info on the "Create a Secunia Community Profile" form, it sent the info and then blanked the form again. It says it was created with email confirmation and then requested a password which I did. However, the new username/password doesn't work. It returns message of invalid user/password. Can you have more than one profile? The profiles I created are using 2 different email accounts.

Even though the "jackson12" profile is working, I can't get it to connect to the PSI dashboard. I'm totally lost!!!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Jan, 2011 19:48
Score:
I have sent the info to Secunia along with firewalls forum (above). Hopefully they will re-respond to the problem If you re-contact them, they will see our correspondence and act accordingly.

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.