Forum Thread: Possible memory leak with PSI

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
sbrothers217 Possible memory leak with PSI
Member 29th Nov, 2008 16:40
Ranking: 0
User Since: 5th Oct, 2008
System Score: N/A
Now using 1.0.0.1 of PSI.

The virtual size is reflected as about 140mb (Sysinternals Process Explorer) and that total tick up only slightly (about 3mb) after running a full scan. However, after leaving the application running in the background for a day or so, still doing only weekly scans (meaning no scan appears to have run), I've seen the virtual size increase to 1gb.

I believe it was introduced with RC4.

Obviously leaving PSI running in the background is the right thing to do, but it would appear to be chewing up memory. Anyone else seeing this behaviour?

-S

This user no longer exists RE: Possible memory leak with PSI
Member 29th Nov, 2008 17:58
I'm running the latest PSI on my XP Pro SP3 system and it is only taking 10MB.

What operating system are you using?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TSamuel RE: Possible memory leak with PSI
Member 29th Nov, 2008 18:03
Score: 0
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 29th Nov, 2008 18:03
I've had the same issue with Vista Home Premium SP0. It doesn't take a week for me; it'll go up massively in just 24 hours or so.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
sbrothers217 RE: Possible memory leak with PSI
Member 29th Nov, 2008 18:40
Score: 0
User Since: 5th Oct 2008
Last edited on 29th Nov, 2008 18:41
I'll admit that my math may not be all that good, so the base amount may not be right, but the increase is 10-fold, which is evidence of some sort of leak.

Operating System is: XP Pro SP3

-S
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Mephitus RE: Possible memory leak with PSI
Member 29th Nov, 2008 19:29
Score: 1
User Since: 18th Nov 2008
since PSI is simply a wrapper for a web interface that uses MSIE (and the activex version of shockwave flash) then whatever leaks exsist in IE/flash will exsist in PSI... and show in various process managers as such...

(experement with leaving IE running with a webpage of your choice loaded... www.wunderground.com displaying the weather for your city is a great choice... and watch to see if the same leaks occur)
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.