Forum Thread: PSI 2.0 hangs when checking network availability

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
dweeb51 PSI 2.0 hangs when checking network availability
Member 3rd Jan, 2011 20:36
Ranking: 0
User Since: 4th Nov, 2010
System Score: N/A
Hi - I travel frequently, and tote my WXP+SP3 laptop everywhere. Whenever I check into a new hotel and gain network access with a different IP adress, of course, from the previous hotel, Secunia PSI 2.0 will not complete the "Checking Network Availability" step - it just hangs with only the first little red block lit in the status bar.
In order to get Secunia to work, I must first use Task Manager to terminate all psi*.exe processes, and then restart Secunia.
So I guess I have 2 questions -
1.) Isn't there a way to terminate Secunia 2.0 from the application itself?
2.) Why is PSI 2.0 hanging when checking network availability? It's available!

Thanks,

Randy

--
Randy

This user no longer exists RE: PSI 2.0 hangs when checking network availability
Member 5th Jan, 2011 10:21
Hi,

The reason you can't terminate the PSI anymore by simply closing the UI is that we've seperated the PSI into 3 processes - the Tray Icon, User Interface, and update agent.
Closing the User Interface will only close this one specific component. However, if you close the Tray Icon (by right-clicking it and choose 'close tray icon') the background processes will terminate.

As for your connection problems, is IE configured as per this item of our FAQ?
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
dweeb51 RE: PSI 2.0 hangs when checking network availability
Member 7th Jan, 2011 00:19
Score: 0
User Since: 4th Nov 2010
System Score: N/A
You're GOOD!

Thanks so much, you answered / solved both my issues. Now I know how I can terminate Secunia, and the bit about the FAQ and Internet Explorer resolved the "hanging up" problem.

It takes about a minute to verify Internet connectivity, but it works.

Thanks again for your help!

--
Randy
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.