Forum Thread: Updating WinPCap

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
Swift Loris Updating WinPCap
Member 5th Jan, 2011 01:52
Ranking: 0
User Since: 19th Jun, 2010
System Score: N/A
I'm running Windows XP Pro SP 3 (32 bit) on an Acer Travelmate laptop. I'm a nontechie, so please make explanations/instructions as simple as possible!

The latest version of Secunia PSI tells me I need to update WinPcap from 3.1.0.27 to 4.x. "Install Solution" gives me a download for WinPcap_4_0_2.exe. Trying to install it gives me this error message: "A previous version of WinPcap has been detected on this system. Unfortunately, this installer is not able to remove it. Do you want to continue with the installation?"

I clicked No and aborted the installation.

WinPcap doesn't show up in the Add/Remove Programs list in Control Panel, and I can't find it in the Registry. It does have a program folder with three files in it:

rpcapd.exe
npf_mgm.exe
daemon_mgm.exe

In my System 32 folder are the files wpcap.dll and packet.dll, both version 3.1.0.27. I also have two files with the same names in the folder C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eNet; they are both version 3.1.0.24.

In an earlier thread titled "How do I remove this?" a user named tennisknight had the same question, except without the files in the Acer folder. He was ultimately told by Maurice simply to delete the program folder and the two .dll files.

My question: Can I also delete the program folder and the two .dll files in my System 32 folder? What about the .dll files in the Acer folder?

Thanks.

Post "RE: Updating WinPCap" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: Updating WinPCap
Handling Contributor 5th Jan, 2011 02:05
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Delete the programme folder as a starter. Now try an upgrade install. Does that work?

If not delete the files from System 32 - try another install.

If it fails again remove them from the Acer folder.

Good luck - U should be OK. 1AM in UK so I am off to bed!

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
SwiftLoris RE: Updating WinPCap
Member 5th Jan, 2011 02:46
Score: 0
User Since: 5th Jan 2011
Thank you, Maurice, I'm all set, update successful. Had to delete both the program folder and the dll's in the System 32 folder, left the Acer dll's alone. Sleep tight!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 5th Jan, 2011 08:45
Good News.

If all your problems are now resolved could U please lock (Accept) the thread. This will prevent us both from receiving update emails from "tag on" posts.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
SwiftLoris RE: Updating WinPCap
Member 5th Jan, 2011 09:15
Score: 0
User Since: 5th Jan 2011
Maurice, I'd be happy to lock or accept the thread, but I don't see any buttons to click or any other means to do that. (I'm new to the forum.) Could you explain what I need to do, please?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 5th Jan, 2011 10:42
There is a button near to REPLY. Do not worry too much if U cannot locate it a Secunia Official can lock it for us.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Updating WinPCap
Member 5th Jan, 2011 11:15
Will do. ;)
Was this reply relevant?