Forum Thread: Scan doesn't start after setup

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
dremicke803 Scan doesn't start after setup
Member 7th Jan, 2011 17:33
Ranking: 0
User Since: 7th Jan, 2011
System Score: N/A
I have installed Secunia on a desktop with Vista 32bit Home Premium, and after in loads the scan doesn't start I have clicked on start scan and nothing is happening the Scan status is blank as for the time the scan has been running for and nothing seems to be happening, I have installed secunia on other systems without a problem, any help is appreciated.

lansalot RE: Scan doesn't start after setup
Member 7th Jan, 2011 18:00
Score: 5
User Since: 7th Jan 2011
Same here. Am behind an ISA server firewall, MS firewall client, Win7 x64.

I did a wireshark trace. When I click "Start scan", underneath it says "Scan has been running for" and no date or time. No progress bars. None of the tickbox sections light up (if that's what's supposed to happen)

Constant lookups for psi.secunia.com seen in wireshark, but a command line resolves it no problem.

C:\scripts>ping psi.secunia.com
Pinging psi.secunia.com [91.198.117.118] with 32 bytes of data:

Anyone else ?

A
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jan, 2011 18:12
Found mention of a log file in another thread, so checked it out:

[01/07 17:08:06.965] Unknown name in invoke:notifyCheckin
[01/07 17:08:07.159] Unknown name in invoke:periodic
[01/07 17:08:07.866] Checking in with server (psi.secunia.com)
[01/07 17:08:08.053] Checkin reason : scan
[01/07 17:08:08.259] Connecting to psi.secunia.com:443
[01/07 17:08:08.452] GET /psi_api/2002/?type=agent_check&agent_version=(sni p)
[01/07 17:08:08.641] Request timeouts : 60000ms, 30000ms, 30000ms
[01/07 17:08:29.840] Error in HttpRequest: status=499, statusText='A connection with the server could not be established
',winCode=12029
[01/07 17:08:30.258] Error while checking in with server (12029) : "A connection with the server could not be established"

Worked fine with old Secunia, nothing changed here.

Log psialog.txt is at C:\Program Files (x86)\Secunia\PSI for anyone else with my problem.

I can browse to https://psi.secunia.com no problem.

A
Was this reply relevant?
+0
hirectuvaw RE: Scan doesn't start after setup
Member 8th Jan, 2011 16:24
Score: 1
User Since: 13th Sep 2010
Could a firewall be blocking access?

Maybe you could run Wireshark on a tcpdump from your router, to see if the connection is making it beyond the PC.

It'd be nice if there was a status line or something -- not obnoxious, but not hidden away in a log file -- that would say what is going on, like "waiting to make a connection to ..."

Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Scan doesn't start after setup
Member 10th Jan, 2011 10:59
Hi,

@lansalot
Please do not post debug logs on the forum. While the fragment you posted does not appear to contain any sensitive information, the logs can contain sensitive information.

For everybody experiencing this issue, please try walking through these steps:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

If this has not resolved the issue, walk through this list:

1) Go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.
Please ensure that both the 'Secunia PSI Agent' and 'Secunia Update Agent' are set to 'Started' under status and 'Automatic' under 'Startup type'

Windows XP Service Pack 3 users may find these steps helpful, too:

2) Go to where you installed the PSI (Probably C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI), right-click PSI.exe, click Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, and set a check at 'Turn off advanced text
services for this program'

3) Go to Control Panel > Regional and language options > Languages Tab > Details > Advanced. From here, set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services'
(Please note that this is a global setting unlike what is described in step 2).

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
MorrisPeckham RE: Scan doesn't start after setup
Member 10th Jan, 2011 11:34
Score: 0
User Since: 5th May 2010
I'm also having this problem - I start a scan and nothing happens except "Scan has been running for" with no time after the message. I have uninstalled and re-installed but still get this problem.

I don't see anything useful in the PSI log, but as other people in this thread have suggested problems with outbound connections, could it be that PSI is not using the correct proxy settings when it tries to do a scan?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jan, 2011 11:57
OK, now I've tried the things suggested by Emil R. Petersen. I still have the same problem.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jan, 2011 12:11
When I enable the log in the PSI interface, it tells me that the log will be under "My Documents". This log doesn't contain anything related to this problem. But in the PSI install directory I notice this:

[01/10 10:55:52.792] Connecting to psi.secunia.com:443
[01/10 10:55:52.792] GET [long url...]
[01/10 10:55:52.792] Request timeouts : [some numbers]
[01/10 10:55:53.292] Error while checking in with server (407) : "Proxy Authentication Required"

My settings for IE point to a proxy that does not require authentication, but PSI seems to be ignoring this setting, trying to connect directly, and being caught by the authenticating proxy.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jan, 2011 13:04
Hi,

Unfortunately, we do not currently provide proxy support for the PSI, if said proxy requires authentication.

However, if the proxy does not require user intervention (ie. you do not have to enter credentials), it should work.

Hope this clarifies matters.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jan, 2011 17:35
My proxy settings point to a proxy that doesn't require authentication, but PSI isn't using those settings.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Jan, 2011 11:22
No proxy support would be the the issue then. But as I mentioned, I am using the MS Firewall client which means that I don't need to supply proxy credentials in PSI. The firewall client handles that in the background. I'm filling this in using Chrome using no proxy settings - and the firewall client is working fine for this. And for every other piece of internet-related software I use.

Can you advise why the old version worked fine in this configuration, as I presume it didn't support proxy authentication either ?

(ps, I sanitized my debug logs above, so there was nothing identifiable in it).

Thanks for any assistance.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Peter Chamberlin RE: Scan doesn't start after setup
Member 18th Jan, 2011 17:48
User Since: 11th Dec 2008
The latest Secunia PSI still fails to Scan on my work PC (part of domain) with no proxy in use. However, Secunia PSI works when run within a Virtual PC using the same OS and firewall credential - which is not part of a domain. If I try the HTTPS GET request from where Secunia PSI hangs on my domain machine in the virtual PC I obtain the following: (UIDs have been redacted)

GET https://psi.secunia.com/psi_api/2003/?type=agent_c... HTTP/1.1
Accept: image/gif, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, image/pjpeg, application/x-shockwave-flash, */*
Accept-Language: en-gb
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Host: psi.secunia.com
Connection: Keep-Alive

HTTP/1.0 406 Not Found
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 16:30:19 GMT
Server: Apache
Content-Length: 0
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1

I note that the successful Secunia PSI in the virtual machine does not make the agent_check request type and that my workstation does, which fails as follows:

[01/18 15:56:46.685] GET https://psi.secunia.com/psi_api/2003/?type=agent_c...
[01/18 15:57:07.872] Error in HttpRequest: status=499, statusText='A connection with the server could not be established',winCode=12029
[01/18 15:57:08.185] Error while checking in with server (12029) : "A connection with the server could not be established"

Secunia 1.5.0.2 still works on my domain workstation, so why doesn't 2.0?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jan, 2011 08:40
Hi,

Are you using the latest build? Versions prior to 3001 relied on the workstation service, and if I'd guess I'd say there's a high chance you disabled that service.

This release was not announced in the PSI 2.0 UI, and can be fetched from here:
ftp://ftp.secunia.com/PSISetup.exe

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jan, 2011 09:51
I'm using version 2.0.0.3001 with Workstation service configured as Automatic and started. The PSI Tray icon remains unlinked to the scan results too.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jan, 2011 10:07
Last edited on 19th Jan, 2011 10:08 Hi,

@Peter Chamberlin
Perhaps I put that wrong. The Workstation service is no longer a dependency, as we modified the functions that relied on it in 2001 (or 3001 - Either way it's gone).

Do you have any proxies configured in Internet Explorer? Or do you have an IDS-system, or any form of real-time protection?

Do you have Microsoft Security Essentials installed?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jan, 2011 10:17
No proxy configured in Internet Explorer or via proxycfg.exe for WinHTTP, direct access instead through the network firewall gateway with transparent proxy using Active Directory authentication.

Symantec EndPoint Protection is installed, and I've already tried Secunia 2.0 install/reinstall with that disabled. The 1.5.0.2 version works with real-time checking enabled. Anti-virus logs haven't recorded any interference.

Microsoft Security Essentials is not installed.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jan, 2011 15:29
Hi,

Unfortunately the PSI does not support proxies at the time, including the scenario you have described with transparent AD gateway proxies.

I'm sorry we could not have better news for you.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jan, 2011 16:07
That doesn't quite explain it, since the virtual machine instance of XP SP3 through the same transparent firewall/proxy worked with Secunia 2.0.0.3001. Though I suspect that was because it wasn't joined to a domain and thus didn't call that particular agent_check request.

Will Secunia 2.0 feature transparent proxy support similar to 1.5.0.2 at some point in the future?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Jan, 2011 13:19
Hi,

The problem here appears to be that the PSI update agent runs as LocalSystem, and that user does not load the proxy settings by default.
Unfortunately, there is no fix at this time.

However, this is a possible workaround that might or might not work on your system. Try it at your own discretion and risk.

First, make sure that every instance of the PSI is closed on your system, including the tray icon. Wait 30 seconds to be sure the services are stopped, too.

Then, run these commands sequentially in a command prompt (available from Start > Run > "cmd"):
cd C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI
(Correct for non-default path. Use C:\Program Files(x86) for 64-bit systems)
psia.exe -r -L
(removes the PSIa from your system)
psia.exe -i
(Installs the PSIa as the currently running user. Prompts you for a password and thus requires one to be set for this account).

Has this resolved the problem? :)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Jan, 2011 14:16
That worked :)

Scan now starts and tray icon now reflects current service status.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bobie2 RE: Scan doesn't start after setup
Member 25th Jan, 2011 19:46
Score: 10
User Since: 16th Oct 2008
Many thanks Emil. The command prompts worked for me as well.

--
nutty7
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Marco.POLO RE: Scan doesn't start after setup
Member 26th Jan, 2011 19:37
Score: -25
User Since: 26th Jan 2011
Last edited on 26th Jan, 2011 23:58
Hi everyone, first time around.
I own two PCs: one under Windows XP Media Center SP3, and the other under Vista Home Premium and am actually trying to use Secunia for the first time. Although I allowed each ".exe" Secunia program (4) I am being faced with the same topic name problem.

Actually on Vista, I have both Avast anti-virus and Comodo firewall constantly running.

As I am not sure each English mention properly suits its French equivalent by Micro$oft, i will ask my questions step by step:
on 10th Jan, 2011 10:59, wrote:
Hi,

...For everybody experiencing this issue, please try walking through these steps:

(unknown source)
The Secunia PSI is stuck at "Verifying Internet connection..." and won't start. What can I do?

The Secunia PSI needs to be able to connect to Secunia's servers to complete a scan. To make this possible, you may need to change some of your Internet options.

To do this:

1. Open the control panel
2. Open Internet Options > Security tab. In Windows7/Vista you may need to click 'Network and Internet' to access the Internet Options
3. Select the Internet zone and click on the Custom Level button.
4. In Security Settings, go to the Scripting>Active Scripting option.
5. Make sure that Active Scripting is enabled (rather than Disabled or Prompted).
6. Press OK then Yes.

...In Wind'Oz Vista Scripting options we have six different possibilities of which four offer a triple choice (Active, Prompt and disabled). Which one would you say suits your "Active Scripting Option":
- "Authorize Programmatic Access to the ClipBoard",
- "Authorize web to request informations with the help of scripted windows",
- "Java applets scripts", or
- "ASP Scripts" ?

Thanks beforehand for your answer...

Edit: none of your advises, except for the one here above in this message has been effective ! '-(
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Jan, 2011 08:39
Hi,

What you need to enable is the "Active Scripting Option", not any of the other options.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Jan, 2011 15:26
on 24th Jan, 2011 13:19, wrote:

cd C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI
psia.exe -r -L
psia.exe -i

I changed the agent service login as suggested, and not PSI runs fine...

...until I change my password.

Is it possible to run the agent as a regular program rather than a service?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Jan, 2011 15:50
Hi,

No, unfortunately this that is not possible. As I mentioned, using transparent proxies (or any proxies) isn't officially supported - we just provided the workaround to make you happy. :)

Sadly that means you will have to reinstall the SUA when you change your password. Maybe a script?

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Marco.POLO RE: Scan doesn't start after setup
Member 27th Jan, 2011 17:00
Score: -25
User Since: 26th Jan 2011
Last edited on 27th Jan, 2011 22:32
Hi,

on 26th Jan, 2011 19:37, Marco.POLO wrote:
...In Wind'Oz Vista Scripting options we have six different possibilities of which four offer a triple choice (Active, Prompt and disabled). Which one would you say suits your "Active Scripting Option":
- "Authorize Programmatic Access to the ClipBoard",
- "Authorize web to request informations with the help of scripted windows",
- "Java applets scripts", or
- "ASP Scripts" ?...

...A mistake as a start: they are not four but three options to offer a triple choice > "Authorize Programmatic Access to the ClipBoard" is not part of them !

on 27th Jan, 2011 08:39, wrote:
Hi,

What you need to enable is the "Active Scripting Option", not any of the other options.

Hope this helps.

...I am afraid such "Active Scripting Option" does not exist at this place> the two other dual options are:
- "Activate XSS Filter", and
- "Authorize State Bar Updates via Scripting".

(Literal translations of these options from French to English are mine: they may not be fully accurate as "State Bar" > sorry for this !)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
dejvidek RE: Scan doesn't start after setup
Member 27th Jan, 2011 23:16
User Since: 9th Dec 2010
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 31st Jan, 2011 15:15
Hi,

Please refer to this item of our FAQ:

If you navigate to the specified location and enable the "Active Scripting" option it should work.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.