Forum Thread: Error, and no scan

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
BartC Error, and no scan
Member 12th Jan, 2011 09:44
Ranking: 17
User Since: 17th Jun, 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 12th Jan, 2011 10:03

Just installed the PSI 2.0. In spite of it telling me that it was doing a background scan, it was not. When switching to the dashboard it showed an error:

Error: TypeError
Function: util.switchPage
File: undefined
Line: undefined
Description: 'length' is null or not an object

I did a full uninstall, and removed two Secunia entries from the registry, and deleted the install folder. I then did a new install, and the same thing occurred. Additionally, no drives show on the config page. PSI is installed on a partition other than the boot partition.

WinXP Pro w/all updates

BTW, the earlier ver (1.x)worked just fine. AND, I can not find an about on this 2.0 install to see what build is actually installed.

In the properties dialog for psi.exe it shows version: 2.0.0.3001

This user no longer exists RE: Error, and no scan
Member 13th Jan, 2011 10:50
Hi,

Please try walking through the steps outlined in this item of our FAQ:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
spamit321 RE: Error, and no scan
Member 18th Jan, 2011 09:09
Score: 0
User Since: 31st Mar 2010
im having the same issues, cant get an intital scan, have reloaded, have done what was mentioned in the suggested thread get the following error

this from when i go to the dashboard, same operating system (XP pro sp 3), I dont get it, dont know if im going to exhause a lot of time on it either.. works fine on my win7 laptop, so who knows why its not working
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Jan, 2011 10:24
Hi,

Did you try walking through the steps in the FAQ item I linked above?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Jan, 2011 14:33
yep sure did, just went to bed for afew hours and check to see if the scan ever did really start and nope just kind of sitting there with step 0 of 8 forever sitting there....

I will say I dont 'Secunia Update Agent' service in my services, not sure on the reason of that, when i installed I had to errors, so a bit of an oddity if it is suppose to be there.

Just for clairification, the program windows loads up just fine unlike the FAQ that your link pointed to, but I went throught the effort of doing all those steps anyway, what is not working fine after you get the window with the following informatino

"The Secunia PSI is designed to detect programs that you have installed on your PC and detect if any of them are missing critical security patches.

The first scan of your PC has been started in the background, a pop-up window will appear when the first scan results are ready.

After the scan finishes you can review the scan result on the "Scan Results" page. This page enables you to view the programs detected, as well as showing you if they are missing critical security patches.

Should you encounter any issues while using the Secunia PSI or when patching a specific program, we strongly encourage you to visit the Secunia Community Forum."

and you close it to get yourself to the scan computer window and you have the start scan button that you click......... yeah, it dont work, only thing is does and "no scan in progress to step 0 of 8.

hope this read all right, im a bit punchy, got woke after being up for 24 hours and just sleeping two before I got woke cause someones network was down and needed attention...... gonna try sleep again, but thanks for asking
Was this reply relevant?
+0
l.l.rojas RE: Error, and no scan
Member 18th Jan, 2011 15:21
Score:
User Since: 15th Aug 2009
Last edited on 18th Jan, 2011 16:09
WinXP SP3 with Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes.

Had the previous version of PSI 2.0 (I think build 1003).
All appeared to be working fine except for some minor bugs (or not) - tray icon not showing or always red when eventually did show.

Today I updated to the latest build .3001 with the following faults:

When trying to access Dashboard rcvd below error:

When trying to scan, Scan Status displays "Scanning has been running for" without any time displayed. At the same time there is no progress bar and the Step by Step icons remain unchanged (i.e. indicationg that no scan is running).

I went through all the FAQ points that might be related to this issue, at no avail.

Eventually, I reverted back to the older 1.9 version, where all ran fine.
I was able to run the initial scan with that version.
I then installed the latest version 2.0 3001 over the older 1.9 (without un-installing the older version, hence all the settings remained in the Win registry and configurations) and was able to get to the Dashboard. I even managed to retrieve my registration information and validate my account settings.

However, after installing the latest version, the scan still manifests the same initial symptoms I experienced when I first tried to run it with 2.0 3..1.
Perhaps need to mention that also, I have no drives listed in the "Settings" window under "Detected Drives".

My thoughts:
Since there are no drives detected in the PSI interface, the scanner is sitting idle when the "Scan" button is pressed, as there are "no drives to scan".
The "Dashboard" info (in my case) was loaded from the previously saved scan during the older 1.9 version.
So, with the new version (if you have not been able to run the initial or any scan thereof) this error comes as a result to the - "not being able to scan" problem.
I am confident in saying that all the users with above error are people like me, the ones who deleted all the Win Registry entries after running the uninstallation of the previous version and also removed manually all previous settings and configurations from the Program Files\Secunia directory.
However, I believe this is not related to the "Scan" issue, which needs to be addressed.

UPDATE:
Since I last posted, the solution just appeared to me.

I totaly forgot to mention that I use proxy server to connect to the internet, which I think is somewhat problematic with all the versions of PSI.

Will explain.
When connecting to the net using the proxy server, above detailed behaviour occurs.
With my current ISP I also use a proxy bypass software to access some blocked protocols by connecting to a VPN.
Funny enough, when I connect via the VPN the PSI scans, and updates perfectly.
I think some PSI versions are more proxy server susceptible or lenient, hence I managed to get positive results with the older version without the aid of the VPN. Others, (the case with the latest release) needs a dedicated or direct connection to the net.

Hope this is of help, as I know how frustrating such bugs are.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 18th Jan, 2011 16:23
I dont have a proxy in place and the firewall is open for the software
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Jan, 2011 16:51
Score:
Last edited on 18th Jan, 2011 16:55
@Spamit321:

I could be wrong, but I will insist that you look into the way you connect to the internet. I somehow believe this to be the main culprit.

If I look back and think about it, all the problems I ever had with PSI were all internet connection related. Once, I even had the famous certificate revocation problem and had to install a third party Pkif OCSP security Plugin (pkif.sourceforge.net/pkifocsp.html) allowing me to disable this option in the IE advanced settings. I was able to scan / update after that. (Note. I used it with the old 1.xx version. I think Secunia or Norton fixed that problem later).

Try different internet connections if you can, regardless if it is via proxy or a different setup.

This is as far as I can help.

Good luck.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jan, 2011 08:36
Hi,

How many people experiencing this issue are running Microsoft Security Essentials?

If you are, does temporarily disabling "Enable Network Inspection System" on the Settings > Real-time protection tab in MSSE solve the problem for you?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jan, 2011 14:18
my machine has no security what so ever, be it virus, malware, spyware, etc, I only run a firewall that came with XP and have opened that up for PSI
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jan, 2011 15:05
Hi,

@spamit321
So you have blacklisted outgoing traffic by default?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
3-northernpike RE: Error, and no scan
Member 19th Jan, 2011 16:34
Score: 9
User Since: 8th Jan 2010
Last edited on 19th Jan, 2011 16:35
@l.l.rojas

Hi,

With my lacking computer knowledge, have no idea what proxy servers are and what they do...haven't messed with anything like that on my PC.

My PSI 2.0.0.3001 version was working fine up until a day ago, where it suddenly wouldn't scan anymore AND the tray icon stayed red.
Everything seemed to load OK...dashboard seemed fine, and I was thinking the red tray icon was the only problem until I tried a scan, which with the other versions usually turned the icon green. To my surprise, PSI didn't scan...showing same problems as reported in this thread...blank progress bar, "Scan has been running for" message with no time indicated.

@ E. Petersen
I do not have Microsoft Security Essentials now, although I did use it for a short time over a year ago. I currently run Norton's 360 Premier.

The only cleanup I did with my PC over a day ago was to uninstall Adobe Air using Revo Uninstaller...hope I didn't accidently uninstall a PSI file.

Regards,
SKD
Windows XP Pro sp3
IE 8
Norton's 360 Premier

--
6poundnorthernpike
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jan, 2011 16:53
Score:
@3-northernpike

A proxy server is a often a computer that acts as intermediary between your network and the internet.
In many office environments IT administrators setup and channel the connections to the internet via a proxy server. If you connect at home (say ADSL or even dial-up) this probably shouldn't aply to you.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 19th Jan, 2011 17:06
@ l.l.rojas

Thank you for the info! Am always glad to learn. :-)

Regards,
SKD

--
6poundnorthernpike
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jan, 2011 19:16
Last edited on 19th Jan, 2011 19:19
unfortunately MS firewall does not blacklist outgoing traffic its only good enough to determine the incomming, most "programs" will install an exception into MS firewall but I did not see such when I checked, so as a measure I added the "exception" in for PSI for all ports, just in case it was stopping PSI traffic.

Watching the actual traffic on my net, I have PSIA.EXE sending out 198.168.2.3:4498 -> 91.198.117.248:443

I see the SYN sent but no ack, might be to fast for me to pick up as I see the FIN Wait-1 and establish, which in my head I should be seeing the "wait-2" but again might be too quick for me to see. Establish connection is always cycling it never lasts very long
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jan, 2011 22:06
@ E. Petersen

Hi,

Just went to the Secunia Homepage and did a download PSI without uninstalling the same version...loaded and installed and launched. My tray icon is back to green, and the program did a successful scan. Am back up to snuff.

Thanks for all you do.

Regards,
SKD

--
6poundnorthernpike
Was this reply relevant?
+0
BartC RE: Error, and no scan
Member 20th Jan, 2011 01:30
Score: 17
User Since: 17th Jun 2008
Last edited on 20th Jan, 2011 01:33
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Jan, 2011 10:18
Hi,

I removed the stop to remove "Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone" from the FAQ, as this step has been deprecated. Thank you for making me aware.

The reason we suggest unchecking the check for server revocation certificates is that, for some reason, some users are unable to access http://crl.thawte.com, which is required to use the PSI (SSL) unless this option is unchecked.

As for the actual issue at hand, we are still investigating what could be wrong. I wil get back too you as soon as we know something or have another suggested fix (this is what we usually do, and it usually works!).

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.