Forum Thread: auto update wont auto update?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
djnield auto update wont auto update?
Member 13th Jan, 2011 13:01
Ranking: 0
User Since: 13th Jan, 2011
System Score: N/A
I just installed PSI for the first time and have auto updates enabled. The scan found Flash needed a security update but it doesn't install it.

How does the auto update facility work?

This user no longer exists RE: auto update wont auto update?
Member 13th Jan, 2011 13:13
Hi,

The Auto-Update process should be entirely automatic if enabled.

On the Scan Results page, what is the "Program State" shown next to the relevant program?

Do you have a browser open that is making use of Flash? The PSI will check if the file is 'locked' and wait until it is free to run the update.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
djnield RE: auto update wont auto update?
Member 13th Jan, 2011 13:56
Score: 0
User Since: 13th Jan 2011
Thanks,

Browser was open so closed that without any difference. Tried a reboot and closed everything except my anti virus (MS security essentials) and still no joy.

File in question is Flash Player 10 (ActiveX) and shows as 'insecure' in the program state column.

Anything else I can try?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Jan, 2011 14:27
Last edited on 13th Jan, 2011 14:29 Hi,

If Auto-Updates are enabled the program should not be shown as 'Insecure' under status but as 'Update scheduled'.

Please check that you have "Enable automatic program updates" check on the Configuration > Settings tab.

If this has not resolved the issue, try walknig through these steps and rebooting your computer: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Do you have the latest build of the PSI 2.0 installed?

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Jan, 2011 15:18
Thanks again,

on 13th Jan, 2011 14:27, wrote:

Please check that you have "Enable automatic program updates" check on the Configuration > Settings tab.

If this has not resolved the issue, try walknig through these steps and rebooting your computer: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Do you have the latest build of the PSI 2.0 installed?

Hope this helps.

Automatic updates are enabled and I downloaded PSI 2 from the home page this morning.

Went through the tips in the FAQs, implementing them 1 by 1 but still hasn't made any difference. I'm still showing Insecure.

Welcome any more tips I can try :-)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Jan, 2011 15:22
Hi,

Try removing the check at "Enable automatic program updates", wait a minutes, and enabling it again.

Has this allowed you to automatically update Flash?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Jan, 2011 15:41
Tried but no joy.

It changed the install solution to 'manual install' but went back to 'insecure' when I re-enabled auto updates again.

Also tried keeping automatic updates checked, but removing the auto update check from the individual program. This changed the status from 'insecure' to 'determining.....' but then went back to 'insecure' again :-(

I notice in the scan results window I have:

Adobe Flash Player 10.x (NPAPI) up-to-date (AU)

and

Adobe Flash Player 10.x (ActiveX) Insecure

Does that help you in any way?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Jan, 2011 14:08
Hi,

I will assume that you have tried the steps I described, and enabled auto-updates for the ActiveX version.

Try double-clicking the ActiveX version, disabling "Auto-Update this program", wait 1 minute and enable it again.

Has this resolved the issue? Flash player is one of the programs that usually "just works" with AU, so if it doesn't, could I ask you to send me the "psialog.txt" file? It located in the PSI's install directory, which is usually "C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI" (Or C:\Program Files(x86\ for 64-bit systems).

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Jan, 2011 15:09
Thanks again,

I did try all you advised but still nothing worked.

For now I have manually updated the file and will wait for PSI to find an update in due course and see if it will work correctly.

In the meantime you are welcome to the file - it is a huge file though filled with many of the following errors;

Periodic Exception (pr:70) : -2147024893 , The system cannot find the path specified

Let me know if it helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.